Okay, I'll admit a few things (JVM content...)

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

cranking that rectoverb live is where that amp is gonna sound the best...

when I use my mesa at a gig it just sounds so great!

Try a set of KT-77's - that may give you a thicker sound.

How about throwing a low gain pre tube in there? I forget, something like a 12at7 I think? That may drop the gain enough...

Chris

I do this same thing with every amp I've owned. My ears seem to get used to the sound and want to try something else. This time I'm going to remind myself of that. (even though I'm completely happy with my JVM so far)

You know if I coulda got JVM a bit clearer and thicker ..it would be perfect for me. The resonance sucked the tone away- it was pretty bad to me. I usedit at 9 oclock at most. I never tried the lower gain preamps but I think that might work. Might also 'smooth' it out a little which I don't think would be good. I wonder if anyone makes a depth pedal that would thicken the tone....that would be cool. I could surely use that on a few amps.

:|::QBB:
simbasa":b07ac said:
You know if I coulda got JVM a bit clearer and thicker ..it would be perfect for me. The resonance sucked the tone away- it was pretty bad to me. I usedit at 9 oclock at most. I never tried the lower gain preamps but I think that might work. Might also 'smooth' it out a little which I don't think would be good. I wonder if anyone makes a depth pedal that would thicken the tone....that would be cool. I could surely use that on a few amps.

You start using low gain pre's and your cleans go to shit.

Bob Savage":313f0 said:
Deliverance... Deliverance... Deliverance... :D

You got it...

211602.jpg

SgtThump":b809b said:
Also, I'd like a little less distortion on the high gain modes (or more on the lower gain modes). You can turn the preamp gain down on OD1/OD2 Orange & Red modes, but the sound gets thin.

I have also been after a thicker tone the past year or two after owning the Einstein and a few Mesa's.

Chris

Hey man, have you tried different preamp and power tubes? I put in some RFT pres and Siemens EL34's and the tone could not be any thicker... :thumbsup:

They most definitely do and why shouldn't they? Say what you think. I don't have the time to change tubes and rebias and make separate clips, sorry.

jaybird":93d1b said:
How about throwing a low gain pre tube in there? I forget, something like a 12at7 I think? That may drop the gain enough...
That's a very good suggestion I think. I think there's a couple different things you could try as far as tube experimenting. But sometimes, you just know it won't help enough. Sometimes, it's just the amp being what it is. I wish you luck on your quest.

donbarzini":3a650 said:

I never asked you to do so, did I? I think it would rather ineteresting to hear comparisons. Sooner or later some geek will do it just like there are some who record clips of opamp comparisons in pedals. It's obvious you found your holy grail tone, I didn't mean to upset you. :cry:

Ha! You by no means upset me. I was merely responding to something where you quoted me. Holy grail tone? Nah, what you said about the tubes not making a difference was just stupid, that's all. :P

SgtThump":99b1f said:
The tone on the last two gigs wasn't as good as the previous however many gigs I played on it. Probably the rooms. Actually, I'm sure it's the rooms, as nothing else changed.

Like I said, the build quality is starting to bug me just a hair. It's not THAT bad and I'm in a hurry to off the amp or anything.
I've gotten rid of amps before for the same reason. I liked how they sounded for the most part, but the build quality bugged me. I'm not going to say what amps they were though. :D

I wouldn't let the build quality bug you, you usually don't have an amp long enough for that to be an issue anyway :D

Did the build quality of the marshall DSL's bug you? From what I have heard those are not built as well.

I would try some lower gain pres, like 12AT7's and see what you think. Do you know the tube layout, ie what tube does what so you can target the specific channels?

Back