Okay, I'll admit a few things (JVM content...)

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Chris, I do find it amazing that many of the guys that questioned the TSL's build quality now own JVM's and they are a disaster waiting to happen, way too much going on in there 4 me BUT they DO sound great...........
Have u tried the VM( and I mean spend some weeks with one?)once I got used to the KT-66 crunch I was sold on it. The bottom end is the best of any stock Marshall I have ever played.......John

Have you checked the bias? When I got mine I didn't like the lower gain settings at all, but I found that my bias was set in the 50's on one side, and at 42 on the other, and after setting them both at 70 I was a LOT happier.

I also found an RFT made it sound quite a bit thicker on lower gain settings. Enough so that it sounds almost too thick with the gain higher than 1:00 on OD1 and OD2 (I usually have it set at around 10:00)

:|::QBB:
SgtThump":6f469 said:

The pots on the DSL were metal (I think?) and mounted to the chassis, so they didn't "flex" or whatever like they do on the JVM. At least, that's what I remember!

I'm tellin' ya, now that I've owned a few Mesa's, a Diezel, etc..., I'm a tiny wee bit more picky about build quality.

I dunno... I'm just in a "mood" today I think. lol...

Chris go with your gut and dont let all the uber hype over the JVM sway what you think works for you.

SgtThump":70943 said:

Yeah, I've been gigging with each side biased up to 80 or something (if I remember right.) I backed it down to 70 the other night and will try that at an upcoming gig.

Any chance you or somebody else can shoot some shots of the biasing process with these amps???? Specifically the where to and how to? I've been way spoiled with the Aikens outboard bias trim pots and have never had to search one out on a Marshall board, nor do I know where to put the +/- leads to do so.....maybe even start a thread about it ???

Thanks in advance ~
Steve E

I'll tell you after owning a Mark IV and Rectifier I was quite dissapointed in the build quality of the DSL but what can you do.. the other amps to me just didn't sound as good. Is it me or does every amp have it's flaws and you just have to work around that and be ok with that. If you don't like the way it sounds send that bitch on it's way. In my opinion.

I'll add my 0.02 just for the sake of it!

I find the build quality to be just fine on the JVM but I'm also basing my opinion on the Bang for the Buck theory. What other 4 channel amp with verb, massive features, programable footwitch that doesn't cost extra and midi is out there for $1750?.... And I use $1750 as a base because that is the online price. Most people will pay less then $1750 and I could get the JVM pretty much for 10% over cost. There is no other amp in production that offers so much for that price. If people want better parts or construction methods, your gonna have to pay for it, Plain and simple.
Santiago also took the time to validate the construction methods and that was good enough for me lol :D

Chris,
As far as the JVM having to much gain for your taste on certain settings and not enough on others, I can totally see your point because you and only you know exactly what works for you and what you like.
The JVM just works for me and its fine as is. Would I like to see a different build quality? Well...Maybe ,but I also know that's going to raise the $$$$$
Hell Bogner uses some of the same construction techniques and there amps are about a Grand more. I guess it's all relative!!

Peace!!

SgtThump":d411d said:

Thanks Ralph. Really, the ONLY "build quality" piece I'm talking about are the pots not being secured to the chassis. The more I think about this, the more it bothers me. Sure, I won't go throwing my amp around AT ALL. But I'm starting to wonder if a mic stand or guitar falling over into the front of the amp couldn't break off a pot or even bend the pot where it connects to the PCB inside.

I hear you Bro! I guess the reason why that doesn't bother me so much is because that has always been a concern with my MKIV. The MKIV has push pull pots that if you brush up against something when they are pulled, the shaft will break off and they are a pain in the ass to replace!! I guess only time will tell how road worthy they are!!

Gainfreak":6fe92 said:

I hear you Bro! I guess the reason why that doesn't bother me so much is because that has always been a concern with my MKIV. The MKIV has push pull pots that if you brush up against something when they are pulled, the shaft will break off and they are a pain in the ass to replace!! I guess only time will tell how road worthy they are!!

I would think the Mark IV's pots are pretty easy to replace. Chassis mounted with flying leads no pcb strips :)

I do agree with the push/pull though, whenever I transport my Mark IV I always push any knobs I have pulled in and then pull them out again once I'm all setup and vice versa when I'm breaking down :)

SgtThump":3aefd said:

Thanks Ralph. Really, the ONLY "build quality" piece I'm talking about are the pots not being secured to the chassis. The more I think about this, the more it bothers me. Sure, I won't go throwing my amp around AT ALL. But I'm starting to wonder if a mic stand or guitar falling over into the front of the amp couldn't break off a pot or even bend the pot where it connects to the PCB inside.
Just use it on top of two 4-12's, it should be high enough to be out of the way then :thumbsup:

Gainfreak":2bcaa said:

I broke off a knob on my IIC+ once. But it was after a long gig and i was carrying it down a staircase in a dingy club's basement and i probably had 7 beers and 4 shots in me. :no: I did get someone to fix it pretty quick though.

Hmm.....I expected more people telling you that you are, in fact wrong, and that you do, in fact, LOVE your JVM.

Does make me wonder what i would do in that situation. Im thinking I could get over some weakly built knobs, if the tone was blowing me away. But it sounds like thats not the case.

danyeo":208cd said:

I broke off a knob on my IIC+ once. But it was after a long gig and i was carrying it down a staircase in a dingy club's basement and i probably had 7 beers and 4 shots in me. :no: I did get someone to fix it pretty quick though.

The IIC+ is easy to fix compared to the MKIV! You should see what you have to go through in order to replace the push pull pots on a MKIV short body head. It's nightmarish at best!!

SgtThump":1b74b said:

Well the tone WAS blowing me away, but just not for the last two gigs. I'm sure the tone difference was from the rooms, though. It almost has to be from that...

I'll see. I'm not dead set on selling it or anything.

remember a couple of weeks ago I was complaining about my drummer's house? The JVM sounds dreadful in his basement...totally different from any other place I've played it.

messenger":56903 said:
If your not 100% satisified sell it.

Thats what Im thinking. If there are things bugging you about an amp its hard to get inspired to play it. I think Chris is wise to think it could have been the room, so I think he should give it a couple more gigs but if after that if the build quality and tone arent giving him what he wants then I say let her go.

As much as people are going on about this amp its not the best amp out right now IMHO and its not going to be what some are looking for in build quality and tone.

SgtThump":f05c1 said:

The pots on the DSL were metal (I think?) and mounted to the chassis, so they didn't "flex" or whatever like they do on the JVM. At least, that's what I remember!

I'm tellin' ya, now that I've owned a few Mesa's, a Diezel, etc..., I'm a tiny wee bit more picky about build quality.

I dunno... I'm just in a "mood" today I think. lol...

Do you have a case to transport that head in? What are you using? I'm looking for something reasonable.

Gainfreak":b850e said:
The IIC+ is easy to fix compared to the MKIV! You should see what you have to go through in order to replace the push pull pots on a MKIV short body head. It's nightmarish at best!!

Hey Ralph is it the space restrictions inside the short chassis that make it a bitch to replace?

I've never replaced any of the pots in my medium head chassis but visually it looks like a pretty standard affair.

Is it because there are more flying lead wires coming off the push/pull pots? :)

Shiny_Surface":56612 said:
Hey Ralph is it the space restrictions inside the short chassis that make it a bitch to replace?

I've never replaced any of the pots in my medium head chassis but visually it looks like a pretty standard affair.

Is it because there are more flying lead wires coming off the push/pull pots? :)

it is a bitch because of the space and you literally have to take the amp out of the shell and unscrew a whole bunch of crap as well as pull off the eq knobs to get in there! My friend had to do it and my Tech hates when he has to replace them on the MKIV! That has always stayed in the back of my mind so I have always been carful to never do that!! I always puch the pots in when moving the amp!

Back