Okay, I'll admit a few things (JVM content...)

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
:|::QBB:
Shiny_Surface":71c4b said:
Hey Ralph is it the space restrictions inside the short chassis that make it a bitch to replace?

I've never replaced any of the pots in my medium head chassis but visually it looks like a pretty standard affair.

Is it because there are more flying lead wires coming off the push/pull pots? :)

I think the first problem is getting the chassis out and then getting it back into the shell.

SgtThump":8d81f said:

Yeah, I'm using a Gator thing. It's this one (G-901):

http://www.gatorcases.com/productsdetail.aspx?LID=2&PID=38

I've managed to squeeze my accessories in one of those internal compartments, my pedalboard into the other, and my cables into the external pocket. Very freaking convenient!

The only thing is that the telescoping handle is flimsy as hell. The first time I took the case out, the plastic handle shattered within minutes of moving the case. WTF? I emailed Gator and they sent me a new handle, but it's still flimsy. So I would avoid using the handle. Other than that, I've fit everything into this and it's pretty nice!

I haven't used my SKB head case, but that Gator one looks pretty cool other than the handle. I am using my vox AC30CC1 with the band, not sure I can manage that in a road case, a padded cover will have to do.

ejecta":a6b2e said:

Thats what Im thinking. If there are things bugging you about an amp its hard to get inspired to play it. I think Chris is wise to think it could have been the room, so I think he should give it a couple more gigs but if after that if the build quality and tone arent giving him what he wants then I say let her go.

As much as people are going on about this amp its not the best amp out right now IMHO and its not going to be what some are looking for in build quality and tone.

There are things that I don't like about every amp I have ever played. Doesn't mean I can't be satisfied with the amp, just means I may need more than one.

Just cause 2 gigs it didn't blow you away, doesn't mean you should sell it instantly. Rooms and acoustics can make a big difference. I think we get that you don't like the JVM :bash:

My shop still can't get a head (the only head available from the europes biggest distributor, who is located in my hometown btw, is broken - LOL, two channels died during Frankfurts fair), so they managed to give me a combo (which I will hook to a good cab) and I will report after the weekend.
Besides its sound I will of course have a sharp look inside.

duesentrieb":4eac6 said:
My shop still can't get a head (the only head available from the europes biggest distributor, who is located in my hometown btw, is broken - LOL, two channels died during Frankfurts fair), so they managed to give me a combo (which I will hook to a good cab) and I will report after the weekend.
We got a combo in a few weeks ago. It wasn't bad except for the miss matched speakers, fairly dark sound overall. I'd get rid of the V30 and try to get another heritage maybe, not sure what that speaker even is.

It was confusing that all the controls/ channels were backwards and upside down from the head version.

SgtThump":59b62 said:

Please report back about the sound and build quality! To my totally untrained eyes, the guts seem to be okay to me. I mean, sure it has PCB mounted stuff, but it's nice and neat inside. :)

It's just those pots that bug me a little.

Chris,

Do you have any gut shots of the JVM, I would be interested to see them....

duesentrieb":fe7d5 said:
I played the JVM combo yesterday. It's not as good as the head running through 4-12 cabs. I did not really like it....especially after playing the Vintage Modern. THAT amp really kicks arse!!! It has better tones than the JVM. They have a setup card now on the new Marshalls that shows you some good basic settings. I played it last month and did not have it dialed in right. Play it with a Gibson with PAFs....tone heaven. :yes:

Sorry to say I don't miss my JVM at all after playing the Vintage Modern.

snider":d60a2 said:
I returned mine on the 43rd day of the 45 day trial from MF. Deciding factor for me was the thin sound of the #3 and #4 channels compared to other amps I have and prefer. When I would go from the crunch channel slammed with a pedal to the higher gain channels I felt the tone was compromised. Overall I feel the amp has a bit more hair on the notes than I like and lacks the bigness I can get from the high gain sounds from my Suhr, modded Two Rock, Hendrix Marshall slammed with some pedals or even my 92 Dual Rec.

All that said-

Still think its an extremely versatile amp with some awesome tones and an ease of playabilty and harmonics that are off the chart. Value is there if the amp holds up and for some guys it will be the last amp they ever buy. Extremely cool features, great verb and overall a fun amp to play.

I have to admit that although I initially dug ch4 red or ch3 org more than everything else, for weeks now I primarliy use Crunch red slammed with a Keeley SD-1. For me it's pretty much perfect tone and feel. Everything else is gravy. It's like having a Plexi/JCM800 hybrid with a great Master Volume.

SgtThump":561d4 said:
Here are some gut shots.

http://jvm410.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34&highlight=

thanks

Other than the PCB mounted pots like you pointed out, its built better than the marshall DSL401 I had. Never seen inside a DSL100 or TSL100. It would be nice if they split up the PCB board on the POTs into 2 or 3 and supported them better.

jaybird":8c5fd said:
Try a set of KT-77's - that may give you a thicker sound.

How about throwing a low gain pre tube in there? I forget, something like a 12at7 I think? That may drop the gain enough...

i know we're talkin two different heads here, but both marshall......my friend got some kt77's for his 1959SLP (i forget which brand) from jerry p and wow!!! talk about thick!!! he tried a bunch of different 34's out and the kt77's were it by a mile. there was also a big gain increase by throwing a tung-sol in v-1 but your not after that :D . one thing though your bound to get some real thick promenant mids with the kt77's.

I used mine at band practice tonight, and I'm not all that happy with it. Mostly because of noise. It sounds great at home practice levels, but when at band levels, the orange and red of the high gain channels it sounds like a jet taking off. I already changed the tubes, it's not them. I had the gains at about 11:00 and the Channel volumes at noon, and the Master Volumes around noon. I may try plugging it into some different circuits to make sure.

I got some great tones with the crunch channel and boosts though.

blackba":9b45d said:

There are things that I don't like about every amp I have ever played. Doesn't mean I can't be satisfied with the amp, just means I may need more than one.

Just cause 2 gigs it didn't blow you away, doesn't mean you should sell it instantly. Rooms and acoustics can make a big difference. I think we get that you don't like the JVM :bash:

+1 I have had rooms that just sucked my tone out completly, I think we all need as many amps as we can afford and can store because we are gear whores and thats what gear whores do :D I think the JVM is the only amp that does what it does and for sure in that price range, its not the amp for me BUT I wont knock the tone, these babys rip 4 sure..................................John

SgtThump":08f0d said:

I don't think I have that problem. I've never noticed it anyway and those are around the loud volumes I play at. Some people report noise, while others don't.

I'll have to pay more attention. It's possible that mine is making hissing noises, but it's covered up by the rest of the hissing on stage. lol

I wonder if there's a group of them that got a few bad components.

I also noticed some of the same things you are. What I'm noticing is that when I set the crunch channel up for a nice tone, I have to dial the resonance back or it gets too bassy, and then when I go to the OD channels, They need the resonance back up or it's too thin because I've got the gain down around 10:00 or so.

Also, it's almost like there's too much of a gap from the Crunch to OD1 in gain structure, while OD1 and OD2 are too close.

I love some of the tones I'm getting out of the amp, especially through greenbacks, but I'm not happy about the noise, or the way I'm having to fight with the Crunch channel vs OD 1.

SgtThump":eba9d said:

I agree that the Crunch channels has TONS more bass than OD1/OD2 (at least in their high gain modes), but I've been able to dial the resonance up high, bass up high on OD1/OD2, and bass down low on Crunch. Like around 11:00 o'clock or lower.

I'm going to experiment with the green modes on OD1/OD2 soon. I haven't really given them much time. They have tons more bass than the yellow/red modes on OD1/OD2, though.

I was using them a little bit last night, mostly due to the orange and red being so damn noisy, and I need to do some more exploring with them myself. I'm also going to do some more tube changes and change out some speaker and guitar cables etc.

SgtThump":9f391 said:

I'm just a little confused by some of the reports of noise. I thought for sure all or most of those guys just had preamp tubes that were going bad, but a tube swap didn't help ya, huh? Strange...

I don't know what it could be. Is it maybe that what you consider loud hissing just doesn't seem abnormally loud to me? I guess that's a thought. See, to me loud hissing is like cranking up a single channel JCM800 for example, then slamming it with an OD pedal crank up bigtime. That's some serious hiss. You're not getting that type of noise, are you?

I just did some checking and it doesn't like my pedal board. :doh:

I plugged it straight in and the noise dropped to a livalbe hiss. Funny thing is that it's dead silent with my Super Lead, Mk IV and my Splawn. It must have a VERY sensitive input. Noise problem solved for now.

SgtThump":ce9b8 said:

Interesting... Wait a minute... Coming back to me now... Seems like I've seen a few people talk about how the amp didn't like pedals in front? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've heard that a few times.

I'm running a very small pedalboard in front with no problems. That surprises me, because I always put a board together and end up with ground loops, hissing, static, etc...

My board only consists of the following, all powered by a One Spot daisy chain dealio:

X2 Digital Wireless
Boss TU2 Pedal Tuner
Budda Bud Wah
Fulltone OCD
BYOC Phaser

The JVMs I had liked some pedals and not others with regards to noise. Some pedals are more noisey than others and I think maybe the input on the JVM amplifies some of those things. But to be honest I have found all amps can be picky with some pedals and not others.

Also make sure you have isolated power supplies for each pedal which will help alot. Also try not pluging the amp into the same outlet you have your pedal baord plugged in to.

just as curiosity, are you guys using a DC Brick to power the pedals?, I know few people with different amplifiers, not JVMs, who reported noise with those power supplies...

otherwise, as already pointed, everything in front of any high gain amp should be kept to a minimum.

SgtThump":ab6b4 said:
I fired up the Stiletto for a few minutes last night after not playing it in a while and it sounded great. That amp has the amount of gain I like and no more. Many people complain about it not being enough (it's a Stage 1), but it's fine for me.

I'm going to whip that amp out this weekend and gig with it to see how it fits in the band.

I loved my Stage I Stiletto. I never understood why that amp didn't get its props. As someone else has stated, you could try a 12AT7 in the V1 slot and see if that tames the gain a little. I did that in my Zinky Blue Velvet 50 watter and it tamed the gain to a more useable, dynamic range. If your reverb slot has a 12AT7 in it, just pop it out and plug it into V1. Your reverb will be out of service, but you can check to see if you dig the tone of the tube.

SgtThump":e72c5 said:
The amp is freaking great, no doubt. But I too am a little worried about the loose feeling pots. I didn't realize I was worried about that until my 10 month old daughter pulled herself up on my 2x12" cab and JVM head yesterday and started messing with the knobs. I was watching her close and she wasn't going to pull the amp over, so don't freak! But anyway, that got me thinking about how those loose knobs do bother me, I guess.

Also, I'd like a little less distortion on the high gain modes (or more on the lower gain modes). You can turn the preamp gain down on OD1/OD2 Orange & Red modes, but the sound gets thin.

I have also been after a thicker tone the past year or two after owning the Einstein and a few Mesa's.

So what does this mean? Not sure, but I have started thinking about selling the JVM. I know, I know... I've only had it 2 months and it does sound great. Just not 100% sure I'm going to keep it.

Daver101 has the first shot at it, though.

Chris

Damn Bro, you sure flip-flop a bunch.... :lol:

A~

Back