Thickening up my JCM800

:|::QBB:
Lespaul1981":26281 said:
i checked out the link above and it looks cool - i'd try it but i dont know how to soder? WTF?!

EZ

practice on something else non-blah at first. to solder, touch the iron to the component you want to solder, say, for about 5-10 seconds, then while still holding it there, touch some solder there.

a 25 watt soldering iron is plenty and you want rosin core solder.

now, being a newbie at opening up amps, i must tell you that you can potentially kill yourself opening up your amp. http://www.aikenamps.com/ has good info on their tech info blah. those big battery looking things (large capacitors) are what you don't want to touch.

if you are unsure, take it to a local tech and they can do it (those mods) in about 10 minutes.

A couple things for me would be:

- JJ E34Ls, I like 'em, fills out the bottom a bit more.

- Run the presence for your high end, not the treble... If I don't remember the numbers exactly correct, forgive me, but I believe the presence corner frequency is around 3K and the treble corner frequency is around 10K. So, I've ended up running my stuff with the treble between off and 9 o'clock, and I can get my presence up to almost 3 o'clock without it being harsh. What ends up happening is that I start the treble at off, and bring it up until it's not muffled, then use the presence control to set the high end I want... Tends to come out full, and not overly bright.

- I would try the V30s, they don't have the bottom end of the T75s like others have said, but I hate the high end on the T75s, so I find a balance. Right now, I'm using a Mesa Recto 2x12 with V30s and love it.

Good luck.

Back