Holy crap does Fender suck!!!! $11,000 for this POS?!?!?!?

:|::QBB:
Bob Savage":095fd said:

So unless you like it your opinion should not be voiced? I think it's ridiculous, but if somebody else wants to buy them, that's fine.
Absolutely not, Bob, but the mere fact that Fender offers such instruments doesn't mean that "Fender sucks" or the guitar is a "POS".

I hate the old bank account statement, like when I piss on Gibson and get told I can't afford one :confused:

It takes a lot of work to relic a guitar, that is correct. Years and Years of playing that is, not some topic subject hanging in a glass case.

R&D?????? I thnk after 50 years Fender can make a telecaster :lol: Just like the $25,000 Frankie that they made with pictures??

Fender is ruining Jackson and Charvel trying to attract the same sniffers with their $5000 Retro Charvels with REAL brass knobs :doh:

Boomer":132f9 said:
Absolutely not, Bob, but the mere fact that Fender offers such instruments doesn't mean that "Fender sucks" or the guitar is a "POS".

Sorry but imo that guitar sucks and no way can you prove my opinion as wrong.

Plus you have no idea how that guitar sounds, it could be a dead sounding guitar for all you know.

Boomer":b5b18 said:

The guitar is a POS, there's no arguing that. I don't blame Fender though. If I knew these idiots would pay for it I'd take sand paper and an oxidizing agent to a cheap guitar and make $10,900 profit too.

Gainfreak":ff07b said:
Don't blame Fender. Blame the fucking retards who buy those Pieces of Shit.

I agree, although that price is ridiclous, if you can get someone to pay that much for something, you might as well.

-=MYK=-":37328 said:
I think I'd rather get a cheaper version from Fender and wear it out myself.

Well yeah so would most of us, I hope. :D

This thread reminds me of a story. Like to hear it? Here it go:

One time I went into my lutheir's shop, and on the wall was a Strat that looked so familiar I couldnt believe my eyes.. "Is that SRV strat?" I asked.

"Indeed. Jimmy brought in earlier to have some work done."

"So can I, like, touch it?"

"Hell yeah go for it."

So as Im carressing this beautiful piece of work, he says, "IM just fuckin' with ya. Thats one of Robert Rodriguez's replicas."

Apparantly RR has a bunch of replicas of famous guitars, like EVH's Frankenstrat, Hendrix woodstock strat, etc etc.

These kinds of guitars (like Scott posted) even seem to be marketed towards hobbiests and collectors. Who else has 11 grand to drop on a freakin' guitar.

And if I may go off on one more tangent... I used to hate relic guitars. I thought they were total poser guitars. I never understood why someone would want a guitar thats already beat up instead of taking care of that part themselves. That all changed when I played a relic 60 Strat in lefty. Easily the best Strat I have ever played besides Chris Duarte's orginal 1963, but this guitar was definitely the best lefty strat I had ever picked up. Played like butter and the pickups sounded amazing. :eek:

I mean hell, a relic is probably the closest someone like me will ever get to a left handed 1963 Strat.

LordOVchaoS":ad70a said:

If I had that kind of disposable income I would buy a bunch of guitars that aren't beat up pieces of shit.
My point wasn't that if you had that amount of disposable income that you should buy this particular guitar but that it would be nice to have the ability to do so and there isn't any reason to hate people who can or that they are idiots for doing so.

People spend thousands and thousands of dollars for a pedigreed dog when they could go to the Humane Society and buy a wonderful companion for $70. Do the people that breed fine animals and charge accordingly suck like Fender? Should the people who buy them spend the money on a bunch of cheaper dogs instead?

Obviously, this is an extreme comparison and, yes, I do think the people should rescue animals from shelters when the can but it is essentially a resonable analogy. Or not!

Telephant":51fcd said:

Well yeah so would most of us, I hope. :D

This thread reminds me of a story. Like to hear it? Here it go:

One time I went into my lutheir's shop, and on the wall was a Strat that looked so familiar I couldnt believe my eyes.. "Is that SRV strat?" I asked.

"Indeed. Jimmy brought in earlier to have some work done."

"So can I, like, touch it?"

"Hell yeah go for it."

So as Im carressing this beautiful piece of work, he says, "IM just fuckin' with ya. Thats one of Robert Rodriguez's replicas."

Apparantly RR has a bunch of replicas of famous guitars, like EVH's Frankenstrat, Hendrix woodstock strat, etc etc.

These kinds of guitars (like Scott posted) even seem to be marketed towards hobbiests and collectors. Who else has 11 grand to drop on a freakin' guitar.

And if I may go off on one more tangent... I used to hate relic guitars. I thought they were total poser guitars. I never understood why someone would want a guitar thats already beat up instead of taking care of that part themselves. That all changed when I played a relic 60 Strat in lefty. Easily the best Strat I have ever played besides Chris Duarte's orginal 1963, but this guitar was definitely the best lefty strat I had ever picked up. Played like butter and the pickups sounded amazing. :eek:

I mean hell, a relic is probably the closest someone like me will ever get to a left handed 1963 Strat.

Punk poser.

I almost bought a Nash strat. Those dudes make some nice relics.

It would be part to sport a guitar that I didn't wear out myself. If I had one, it would most likely end up on the wall.

LordOVchaoS":b7238 said:
The guitar is a POS, there's no arguing that. I don't blame Fender though. If I knew these idiots would pay for it I'd take sand paper and an oxidizing agent to a cheap guitar and make $10,900 profit too.

I haven't played one of those guitars so I certainly can't say whether or not it really is a POS or not but most master built Fenders are pretty nice guitars and Relics, love or hate the concept behind them, are some of the nicest guitars Fender produces, IMHO.

So, if you've actually played one of the JB guitars then I might be inclined to accept your assessment about it but I'd also want to know what other guitars you own and have played that would make you an authority on this one.

I'm still not saying it's worth $15k or $11k to me but obviously it is to someone.

Telephant":88a9d said:

I felt the same way initially... but I played a bunch of relics recently when I got my used CS '63 tele and they were all really nice guitars, seriously. And I've played a lot of real vintage fenders too, including my real '63 :lol: My tele is a closet classic so no obvious "relicing," just some finish checking and slightly aged parts, so not THAT poseurish. But I got some big frets put on it and its just a great guitar, I don't care if people think I'm a tool for buying it either :D

IMO, the Fender Custom shop is a lot more consistent than the Gibson custom shop and I've played a lot of CS Gibsons too, and bought that slightly used 335 recently. It is a killer sounding and playing guitar, but there are some small finish issues that shouldn't be there either.

I also agree about floyds :lol:

Bottom line to me is if you like Fender guitars, you're gonna like a lot of the CS Fenders, because they've done a really good job with 'em. I don't think I've played a "dead" CS Fender yet either. Some are better than others, but no dead ones yet. Which is why with that overpriced tele being masterbuilt and all, I find it very likely that they did their homework with the wood selection etc. Just my .02.

Boomer":4e9cc said:
My point wasn't that if you had that amount of disposable income that you should buy this particular guitar but that it would be nice to have the ability to do so and there isn't any reason to hate people who can or that they are idiots for doing so.

People spend thousands and thousands of dollars for a pedigreed dog when they could go to the Humane Society and buy a wonderful companion for $70. Do the people that breed fine animals and charge accordingly suck like Fender? Should the people who buy them spend the money on a bunch of cheaper dogs instead?

Obviously, this is an extreme comparison and, yes, I do think the people should rescue animals from shelters when the can but it is essentially a resonable analogy. Or not!

The difference here is that the Fender we're talking about here is like the dog at the shelter and my $1500 Ibby Universe or a nice custom shop guitar are like the fine purebreds.

I'd rather pay less money for more guitar. I didn't say fender sucked either, I said before that I'd do it too if dumbasses are going to buy it. Can you honestly tell me there's more than $100-$200 worth of materials in that guitar? Unless this master luthier they speak of charges $9000-$10000 labor it's nothing other than Fender themselves laughing about the shit they can sell to their customers at such high prices. Again, I'd do it too if my customers were that stupid.

LordOVchaoS":ede65 said:

The difference here is that the Fender we're talking about here is like the dog at the shelter and my $1500 Ibby Universe or a nice custom shop guitar are like the fine purebreds.

I'd rather pay less money for more guitar. I didn't say fender sucked either, I said before that I'd do it too if dumbasses are going to buy it. Can you honestly tell me there's more than $100-$200 worth of materials in that guitar? Unless this master luthier they speak of charges $9000-$10000 labor it's nothing other than Fender themselves laughing about the shit they can sell to their customers at such high prices. Again, I'd do it too if my customers were that stupid.

No offense, but if you're favorite guitar is a universe I kind of doubt you're much of a Tele player in the first place. :idea:

LordOVchaoS":bd224 said:
Can you honestly tell me there's more than $100-$200 worth of materials in that guitar?
I can't answer that but certainly CS guitars use select woods where the regular lines don't and more time is spent building them. $8-9k more? Of course not but they do have to pay Jeff and the masterbuilt guys get a higher pay scale than the regular builders.

Look, we are never going to agree on this or the philosophy behind this type of guitar.

In truth, I own one extremely fine Strat type guitar. I've owned dozens of other Strat types and they don't hold a candle to this instrument, although some have come close. Those that have come close have been in a similar price range. This is the Strat sound and feel I've heard in my head for more than forty years and it's a stunning player. If I were gigging I'd certainly have a less expensive Strat for backup but the fact is that I'd much rather play this instrument than own three or five or ten lesser Strats that I could have bought for the same money. No, this guitar isn't reliced although I did drop it recently and it hurt. I wouldn't mind if it had play wear but bouncing off the floor is not a mojo adding act!

-=MYK=-":cd673 said:

And that is based on you playing the guitar we're talking about?

I've played old beat up teles before, does that count? Sure they felt good but in my eyes them being beat up decreases their value in the same way that you wouldn't pay more for a rusted out car than one with a perfect shiny body or for the abused and homeless dog at the shelter instead of a purebred puppy. Just common sense that's all. New stuff > used and abused stuff when it comes to price.

My main guitar is considered a collector guitar but I would laugh at somebody if they were trying to sell one in the condition of that Tele for $500 even if Steve Vai himself were the one that beat it up.

'63-Strat":b4b92 said:

Bottom line to me is if you like Fender guitars, you're gonna like a lot of the CS Fenders, because they've done a really good job with 'em. I don't think I've played a "dead" CS Fender yet either. Some are better than others, but no dead ones yet. Which is why with that overpriced tele being masterbuilt and all, I find it very likely that they did their homework with the wood selection etc. Just my .02.

Big plus one to that.

Gibson Les Paul Custom in lefty = $4000

Fender Custom Shop in lefty = $1800

Pretty fucking obvious right there, Gibson can suck teh cock. :D

'63-Strat":218ac said:

No offense, but if you're favorite guitar is a universe I kind of doubt you're much of a Tele player in the first place. :idea:

I don't have anything against them but you're correct, there's a lot of other guitars I'd buy before I bought a tele. I'm not a shredder type guy if that's what you're saying. I don't play Vai/Satch/Malmsteen type stuff because I find it boring after a while. I give those guys credit where it's due, it's just not my thing. I'm primarily a death metal player but I've been full time in an 80's cover band and filled in for blues and classic rock bands several times. Please don't categorize me because I own Vai's sig guitar. I just like the way it plays, looks, and sounds.

LordOVchaoS":78a62 said:

I've played old beat up teles before, does that count?

Not really. I've played guitars. Does that give me enough information to say that all Suhr strats play funny?

This is a master built guitar. It could really suck, be godly, or just be mediocre. If you played the guitar, then you could conclude that it really is just a pound puppy and not the purebred poodle you hoped it would be.

Back