do pros flub notes?

EVH fan:

You should know better! The first VH album is loaded with flubs and that's what makes it so great. One of the more blatant flubs is on "feel your love tonight". After the solo, Eddie goes back into the basic rhythm of the chorus and he misses one of the chords by almost a half step (he kinda lands in between e and e flat). Listen closely and you'll find it.

Eddie has admitted to making a lot of mistakes and said they didn't have time to re-cut any songs. I think he also had a lot of trouble with his low E popping out of the nut.

I love flubs.

i'm sure everyone does, some not as often as others

steve vai seems to be pretty much inhuman

i had a teacher telling me about this very subject some years ago...

he said if you give someone a basketball and have them shoot a difficult shot enough times, they'll be able to make that shot eventually...a pro on the other hand, will have to shoot the same number of times before they finally miss

:|::QBB:
OneArmedScissor":062b0 said:
Well, I've never flubbed in my life. I do play jazz notes, though.

How's tha saying go? "Play one wrong note, and you screwed up, play a bunch of wrong notes in a row, and it's Jazz"

I cannot remember who said that.

There are a lot of PG fans on this board. He fucked up the solo to "to be with you" on Jay Leno many moons ago. Very blatant fuck up. He stumbled over a note and made a face like "i just fucked up" right after he did it. very odd moment for the articulate one

ZielGuitarist":985d9 said:

How's tha saying go? "Play one wrong note, and you screwed up, play a bunch of wrong notes in a row, and it's Jazz"

I cannot remember who said that.

Which was probably said by someone that doesn't know much about jazz.

'63-Strat":a8987 said:

It was by a fairly well-known player. I wanna say Zappa, but I'm not 100% on that. It was definitely said as a joke, though!

gaijun":e8678 said:

another is Steve Morse ;)
I've seen Morse 6 or 7 times. One night he made a few mistakes in the first tune and was on the rest of the night. About 3 songs into the show I realized he was wearing a cast on his left wrist. Apparently he broke it while skateboarding with his son. I dish out pickles by the barrel-full when I'm 100% healthy and he's a machine even while wearing a cast.

PeteLaramee":5fc26 said:
:|::QBB:I've seen Morse 6 or 7 times. One night he made a few mistakes in the first tune and was on the rest of the night. About 3 songs into the show I realized he was wearing a cast on his left wrist. Apparently he broke it while skateboarding with his son. I dish out pickles by the barrel-full when I'm 100% healthy and he's a machine even while wearing a cast.
I should add that Morse played two sets that night...The Steve Morse Band opened for The Dregs.

Steve

is The only guy i know who still picks every note
and i ve seeen him 5 time's myself
i think i read someone saying about the cast on another forum
some time ago

i never heard that one so i guess its True :thumbsup:
Thanks Pete

'63-Strat":43d59 said:

i can't say i know MUCH about jazz; i can listen to wes montgomery, pat martino, or george benson all day long...somes guys really sound like they're playing more wrong notes than right ones to me tho

this guy for instance (solo starts around 3:30)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKRKWVSNsS8

in my guitar classes i did in high school he was a guest for a week...MONSTER player, could incorporate some crazy theory into his improv playing, and had some of the best chorded rhythm playing i've ever seen; EVERYTHING he played tho was outside/dissonant tones tho, nothing that really had much melody or was memorable ever

gaijun":a59dd said:
Steve

is The only guy i know who still picks every note
and i ve seeen him 5 time's myself
i think i read someone saying about the cast on another forum
some time ago

i never heard that one so i guess its True :thumbsup:
Thanks Pete
He does pick every note and he picks every note hard. :thumbsup:

Yea - I was pretty damn surprised to see that cast. He certainly didn't dissapoint!

PeteLaramee":6ba0e said:
:|::QBB:He does pick every note and he picks every note hard. :thumbsup:

Yea - I was pretty damn surprised to see that cast. He certainly didn't dissapoint!

There's a video of Steve participating in an introduction to the new Y2D Steve Morse EBMM guitar in which Steve talks about the cast incident. He actually went back to the doc several times to have the cast re-done so that he would be able to access the higher notes on the guitar for a few big gigs already scheduled. :D

evhfan":6d318 said:
i was always wondering...does a guy like, say, richie sambora flub notes sometimes when he plays live...or are pros so well rehearsed that they play everything perfectly every night...

I saw Bon Jovi on TV a couple months back (the wife was watching opra, which means I was watching opra)...sambora flubbed the whole goddamn solo =D

Back