How to tell if a Celestion is made in UK or China?

Sick Squid":1mjxl8fs said:
And so it goes.

Oh, please Sick Squid, you can try and disguise your ignorance of Celestion history, but the facts are the facts. You are wrong on several points, no matter where you got your information, or how you try to sluff it off on others. Now that you've been outed for your little agenda against me, suddenly you act like you didn't really have one and you were totally even handed with your posts and respectful towards me. Yawn.

If you had your facts straight in your post(s), and hadn't posted them as such (or disguised as opinion, however you want to state it), I wouldn't be in this thread at all. Basically I'm only here correcting your misinformation so others aren't misinformed.

Business":fpbdecv7 said:
EVH Greenbacks are made in China

Hah, they used to be made in England. Do you know when production moved to China? Sorry, I don't keep up on much of the new production Celestions.

It's an easy read for those willing to play detective.
The only 'agenda' appears to be Scumback fighting their inner demons.
I recommend psychiatric counselling. Or sedation.

Sick Squid":28s9rxzb said:
It's an easy read for those willing to play detective.
The only 'agenda' appears to be Scumback fighting their inner demons.
I recommend psychiatric counselling. Or sedation.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: This must be your "respectful" posting style, eh? :doh:

Oh boy, Sick Squid (apt screen name it seems) you are a hoot! Fighting my inner demons over your inaccurate statements about Celestion speakers? Or if you ever bought one of my speakers new? I kind of doubt that happened. I did PM you awhile back for your paypal receipt or address and you declined to reply. So I have to figure you didn't buy any Scumbacks new from me, so I'm certainly not going to stress about that.

Ok, tell you what, sounds like you might know something about psychiatric counseling or sedatives. Why don't you post your sources, experiences, purchases and first hand experiments / observations of yourself with both of those subjects. I don't know much about either of those, so I doubt I'll catch you on any incorrect statements, or "facts", opinions, or observations. ;)

Inner demons...oh my God, I'm rolling on the floor laughing at that one. About the only inner demons I have are missed putts on the golf course...

Scumback Speakers":3uyvbucc said:
Business":3uyvbucc said:
EVH Greenbacks are made in China

Hah, they used to be made in England. Do you know when production moved to China? Sorry, I don't keep up on much of the new production Celestions.

I have my doubts now
They're the same as Heritage G12M, only 25$ cheaper...
First time I remember a signature product that would actually be cheaper than its original counterpart
Trying to find a confirmation that they're made in China, but for now it seems they're UK made

barnesjd":k35bsazb said:
For anyone interested in Vintage 30s, here is exactly what to look for:

T3903 8 ohm V30 made in China. Note the "50" on the right.

T3904A 16 ohm V30, made in China. Again, note the "50".

T3987 16 ohm V30 "Marshall Vintage", made in UK and no "50"

Thanks! This is the info I needed.

Great question....

This is straight from Marshall...

"In terms of our standard products, all of our alnico, Heritage Series and Creamback guitar speakers, along with the G10 Greenback are made here in Ipswich.

All other standard guitar speakers are made in the Celestion factory in Southern China."

danyeo":oimjtvd8 said:
I worked at Kramer guitars in 1990 and we would get in guitars from Korea and remove any Korea labels or stickers and replace them with Made In The Usa.

Come again?
How is this legal?

Scumback Speakers":4z5x7oor said:
I'm always amazed at what I read on the internet that passes as facts from people who are not in the business, but feel they talked to someone (say a distributor) and think it's correct. Here's the truth, as told to me by current Celestion reps (I know four of them), one former Celestion lead speaker engineer (Duncan Boniface), and multiple wholesale parts suppliers in the US who sell Kurt Mueller & Celestion parts.

1) Kurt Mueller still supplies SOME cones to Celestion, but by no means all. There are other companies in Malaysia, UVM and others for example, that supply Celestion cones.
2) There are cones/spiders/voice coils made in Malaysia & China, as well as a small percentage the UK, but the majority are made in China. How do I know? One of my US suppliers gets their cones from China instead of the UK. They've offered them to me. I declined. I get mine from Kurt Mueller in the UK directly.
3) The paper pulp type, content and mix are NOT the same as the 50/60's. The wood fibers the cones are made from now are no longer the LONG fibers due to the fact that it's no longer old growth wood being used for the paper pulp for the cones. Why do old guitars from the 50's sound better? Old growth wood, not newer trees.
4) Many of the cone/frame machines were shipped from the UK to China and set up there in 2003. Duncan Boniface oversaw the transition. There is a small # of people actually building guitar speakers in the UK for Celestion. Most of it is pro audio, not guitar speakers.
5) There was most definitely a higher rate of failure, with inconsistent speaker builds and such from 2003 until it stabilized about 5 years ago (2009) from China as compared to the UK built models of the same type. Why? Training, parts issues, suppliers, materials, glue changes, etc. There's this disclaimer often used... "Specifications Subject to Change Without Notice"...maybe some of you have noticed it before.

With all due respect to some of the posters in this thread, more research before you type would be advised.

I know this is an old post but I didn't see it till now. There was another Celestion thread and I pointed out that the frames that were made in China and steel that they used was cheaper and had a low carbon content since high carbon good quality steel and metal went to .gov factories first and were highly controlled. Nothing like the good quality steel from the EU or UK. I also pointed out the adhesives were different as well.

I was bashed and told that even if thats true their is no difference and its all the same and sounds the same even though the only thing that is similar is the logo on the speaker housing.

Whatever. :doh:

By the way the greenbacks are now made in the Uk again. So all green, cream etc are made in the JK now. V-30 is still made in China

Back