Just brought a Tonebone tube pedal home to try...

Brought this home last night, was playing with it for a while, takes a bit to dial in (getting used to the different EQ mode switches and finding the right combination) but it is sounding way better to me than the first one I brought home...sounding really nice!

plexitube-slice-w-awards.jpg

I have a real old Hughes and Kettner Tubeman that is similar to that. They work great and can be had used for little $$$$.

:|::QBB:
bill":6461f said:
I have a real old Hughes and Kettner Tubeman that is similar to that. They work great and can be had used for little $$$$.
It sounded good..but not good enough to hold on to it.
The two pedals I tried had a nasally tone to them, but I'm comparing them to a Peters Polaris channel...they seem artificial sounding compared to it....the American toned version had a rockman type tone to it, I couldn't get it smoothed out and natural sounding...and the Plexi version was alot better with the tone shaping but it doesn't have the sustain and nice lower gained tone like I dig...as I rolled back my guitar's volume it got thin sounding....James is hooking me...bastard!

bill":f6528 said:

:thumbsup: their are a couple more id like to find that are no longher made but the TubeMan would be the frist on my list :)

The Big Snit":e3d02 said:
:|::QBB:It sounded good..but not good enough to hold on to it.
The two pedals I tried had a nasally tone to them, but I'm comparing them to a Peters Polaris channel...they seem artificial sounding compared to it....the American toned version had a rockman type tone to it, I couldn't get it smoothed out and natural sounding...and the Plexi version was alot better with the tone shaping but it doesn't have the sustain and nice lower gained tone like I dig...as I rolled back my guitar's volume it got thin sounding....James is hooking me...bastard!

You still using the BB?

My tubeman is the first one they made. The one thing that can be done on any 12ax7 style pedal is to try different tubes. I have a 12au7 (20% gasin) in it at present. H asnd K has issued several newer tubemans and they all have the red box built in I'm pretty sure.

bill":be286 said:
My tubeman is the first one they made. The one thing that can be done on any 12ax7 style pedal is to try different tubes. I have a 12au7 (20% gasin) in it at present. H asnd K has issued several newer tubemans and they all have the red box built in I'm pretty sure.

I THINK THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THE TUBEMAN
is why they havent protected the tube ?
i hear they are a Nightmare gone wild :doh:

Vrad":aa749 said:

You still using the BB?
I took one home from a local store for a week to try out and loved it...it's definitely my favorite boost/overdrive pedal I've tried, but I don't really need one right now.
That's the one I would buy whenever I DO need one. :thumbsup:

bill":36ea5 said:
The one I have is OK but the tube is hard to get to if you do want to change it.
Have you tried the S.I.B. Varidrive?
It's by far my favorite tube pedal so far....very thick and lush. It sounds like a excellent preamp that you'd find in a great amp.

SIB PEDALS LOOK Expesive
but how do they really sound
and what type of Preamp would that sound come close too ?

Back