rack processors

mchn13

i'm looking for a rack mount processor, to work with my randall rg100. what i need is a multi-effects unit, that i can program my randalls pre-amp, into the effects loop of the processor, and back into the power-amp of the randall. i hope this makes sense. i had a digitech gsp21( i think), about 12 years ago, that i ran with my old marshall like that. effectively, using the amps distortion as a c hannel in the effect unit.
sorry, if its confusing, but i haven't used rack gear in forever, and don't have a clue as to whats out there. i just want to be able to use my amps distortion, but have alot of channels via the effects unit.?

im Currently useing My Digitech 2101
and i belive it can do the same thing your asking

Problem is My 2101 is 11 years old
work great through id say it will Last me for the rest :thumbsup:

why dont you do a search on the Manule and read up :)
i belive you will need the Control One Floor Board too

I have a Yamaha Rev100 for sale for $100 shipped. It has good tone! and I replaced my old TC G-Major with it. Even though the TC had more features....this one sounds better to me.

:|::QBB:
mchn13":df1dc said:
i'm looking for a rack mount processor, to work with my randall rg100. what i need is a multi-effects unit, that i can program my randalls pre-amp, into the effects loop of the processor, and back into the power-amp of the randall. i hope this makes sense. i had a digitech gsp21( i think), about 12 years ago, that i ran with my old marshall like that. effectively, using the amps distortion as a c hannel in the effect unit.
sorry, if its confusing, but i haven't used rack gear in forever, and don't have a clue as to whats out there. i just want to be able to use my amps distortion, but have alot of channels via the effects unit.?

They're TONS of great MFX out there, before I can give you a recommendation I need to know a couple things.

Budget?

Any certain FX(s) you absolutely need?

mchn13":1687f said:
i'm looking for a rack mount processor, to work with my randall rg100. what i need is a multi-effects unit, that i can program my randalls pre-amp, into the effects loop of the processor, and back into the power-amp of the randall.

Do I understand that you want to switch at the same time sounds on your Randall as well as your FX unit?

There are some FX units that have remote switch outputs (1/4 inch TRS or so) which you can use to switch external units like amps. I think the master of this category is the G-System, but many others do it too. With a unit like that you can basically turn your RG100 into a MIDI controlled amp (like e.g. the Diezel Herbert/VH4 are).

What you would need besides the rack effect is a midi pedalboard in order to remotely change the program on the FX unit.

I think it's a smart thing to use a rack FX with remote switching capabilities and control both, effect and amp channel with one program change on the midi pedal board.

Boogieman Dan":99cb1 said:

They're TONS of great MFX out there, before I can give you a recommendation I need to know a couple things.

Budget?

Any certain FX(s) you absolutely need?

definately looking for one with midi control board. trying to get everything off the stage except the midi board.
budget, probably up to a few hundred dollars.
i don't need/use, alot of effects. i would like a delay, and a seperate eq for each channel. the main thin is, that i need to be able to put my amps pre through the effects loop of the processor, so that i'm still using my amps tone, and not any modeling, or distortions.

hunter":de803 said:

Do I understand that you want to switch at the same time sounds on your Randall as well as your FX unit?

There are some FX units that have remote switch outputs (1/4 inch TRS or so) which you can use to switch external units like amps. I think the master of this category is the G-System, but many others do it too. With a unit like that you can basically turn your RG100 into a MIDI controlled amp (like e.g. the Diezel Herbert/VH4 are).

What you would need besides the rack effect is a midi pedalboard in order to remotely change the program on the FX unit.

I think it's a smart thing to use a rack FX with remote switching capabilities and control both, effect and amp channel with one program change on the midi pedal board.

the way i used to do it, mind you it was years ago; was processors' effects send, to amps input. then, amps effects send to processors effects return. output of the processor to amps effects return. then plug into the processor, and control everything with it. sorry if i'm unclear, its just been along time, and i'm using a rack-mounted randall, that has room for a unit or two. i'm just not up on new processors, and i might just buy an older digitech, since i know it will do it..?

crwnedblasphemy":17a1b said:
I have a Yamaha Rev100 for sale for $100 shipped. It has good tone! and I replaced my old TC G-Major with it. Even though the TC had more features....this one sounds better to me.

do you know if you can put distortions, or pre-amps in the effects chain? is it midi controllable?

I have a Digitech 2120 and a G-Major.

I like the G-Major a lot. there are some limitations, but for the price, I have yet to beat it. it does decent FX and via MIDI and contact closures, cotrolls my channel switching. It has little sound coloration. Much less than most. The worst part about it, is it makes me want to buy a G-Force, which I cannot afford at the moment. Like I said, it's very hard to beat for the price. The G-Force costs 4 times as much retail.

The 2120 is very feature rich but it's state of the art 1995. There was too much delay between switching patches for my style. I still use it at home sometimes, but I wouldn't put it my live rig.

Zachman is a great resource. Maybe try posting in Monster Rack at HC. If he doesn't chime in here.

i can run a Low wattage tube amp through my 2101 unit
:thumbsup: Kicks Ass
paid $100 for mine and got the Control one New also free :eek:

i dont know to much about the 2120 unit
but the 2101 is Killer
but its time consumeing to set up :aww:

gaijun":ac332 said:
i can run a Low wattage tube amp through my 2101 unit
:thumbsup: Kicks Ass
paid $100 for mine and got the Control one New also free :eek:

i dont know to much about the 2120 unit
but the 2101 is Killer
but its time consumeing to set up :aww:

is there a delay in switching? is the 2101 fairly new? i'm guessing there's less lag on the newer units?

im Upgraded with 2 S disks myself with 3.0 software
can you run a Low powered amp through yours ?

im going to read up on your a bit see if i can spot
the differnce's in them

because you said your was made in 95 ?
and my 2101 is 96 :confused: weird

anyway those dual s disks dont like patch switching :no:
one more Question do you have the system 97 for downloading patch's from the site
i cant get any sys patch's to come up but the SAP works Fine :doh:

mchn13":a8e7b said:

definately looking for one with midi control board. trying to get everything off the stage except the midi board.
budget, probably up to a few hundred dollars.
i don't need/use, alot of effects. i would like a delay, and a seperate eq for each channel. the main thin is, that i need to be able to put my amps pre through the effects loop of the processor, so that i'm still using my amps tone, and not any modeling, or distortions.

Let me see if I got this right...

It sounds from your description that you want a delay and EQ for both the clean and lead channels? I'm not trying to make this hard but what kind of delay (simple mono, dual, quad, multi-tap, etc) and EQ (graphic, parametric) are you looking for?

IIRC, the G-Major has most if not all of those features...as do a lot of other MFX units for under $400. In my rig I have a DHP-55, Replifex, Studio Quad and a G-Force at my disposal...all MFX and all unique.

gaijun":5efdd said:
im Upgraded with 2 S disks myself with 3.0 software
can you run a Low powered amp through yours ?

im going to read up on your a bit see if i can spot
the differnce's in them

because you said your was made in 95 ?
and my 2101 is 96 :confused: weird

anyway those dual s disks dont like patch switching :no:
one more Question do you have the system 97 for downloading patch's from the site
i cant get any sys patch's to come up but the SAP works Fine :doh:

Hmmm... I recall the 2101 can be upgraded to the same as a 2120. I don't remember which firmware I am using. I got a new EPROM form Digitech a year or two ago. I didn't upload anything.

On the vintage, I was guessing. 95/96 same thing as far as technology goes. IMO. I remember when they were new, the 2120 was like $1200. yikes!

What do you mean, "run a low powered amp"? I always use it as a preamp into another amp. I have used it into the power section of my 5150, into the front of a shitty (low power) Marshall MG10 practice amp and into my Mesa 2:100 (which was obviously the best).

again with this":2a9c3 said:

Hmmm... I recall the 2101 can be upgraded to the same as a 2120. I don't remember which firmware I am using. I got a new EPROM form Digitech a year or two ago. I didn't upload anything.

On the vintage, I was guessing. 95/96 same thing as far as technology goes. IMO. I remember when they were new, the 2120 was like $1200. yikes!

What do you mean, "run a low powered amp"? I always use it as a preamp into another amp. I have used it into the power section of my 5150, into the front of a shitty (low power) Marshall MG10 practice amp and into my Mesa 2:100 (which was obviously the best).

Im Sorry you havent tried it
The 2120 has an FX loop, which means that you can insert some form of saturated power tube in the effects loop, hopefully after distortion and before the time-based effects. For example, ADA Ampulator, or Fender Pro Jr. with speaker isolation cabinet. I owned the 2101 and did this approach, with excellent results. Others also reported success with my suggestion, in the 2101 listserv.

i took this from http://www.amptone.com
i like the outcome of it its realy comforting to listen too :thumbsup:

mchn13":7ed73 said:

is there a delay in switching? is the 2101 fairly new? i'm guessing there's less lag on the newer units?

it has a Time Ramp Hold on it ( user settable ) :thumbsup:
so when you chane a patch you can set it so the new patch enters
in a couple seconds as the old one fade's out

gaijun":1dc07 said:

Im Sorry you havent tried it
The 2120 has an FX loop, which means that you can insert some form of saturated power tube in the effects loop, hopefully after distortion and before the time-based effects. For example, ADA Ampulator, or Fender Pro Jr. with speaker isolation cabinet. I owned the 2101 and did this approach, with excellent results. Others also reported success with my suggestion, in the 2101 listserv.

i took this from http://www.amptone.com
i like the outcome of it its realy comforting to listen too :thumbsup:

Interesting idea. I got enough gain out of the thing with the two preamp tubes in there...

Back