One of Lynch's 67 Plexi on the bay!

just get a Ceriatone plexi and send it to tim for the #39 mod add a head shell cover and youre way under the current bid price of $2200+ and take the saving and buy a brand new cab for your new amp :D

:|::QBB:
Digital Jams":b5f33 said:
It is not the purple Aspen SLP so I dont care.

"That" amp is dead. A few years ago I had a few quads of brand new Genelex KT66's and I thought I had a deal with Aspen for the Purple '72 Marshall. It died during that time according to Aspen.

Keith

SQUAREHEAD":418ba said:

"That" amp is dead. A few years ago I had a few quads of brand new Genelex KT66's and I thought I had a deal with Aspen for the Purple '72 Marshall. It died during that time according to Aspen.

Keith

I remember you saying that before, what the heck happened that it could not be fixed??

IMO that was THE tone amp in the 80s.

Digital Jams":47fdb said:

I remember you saying that before, what the heck happened that it could not be fixed??

IMO that was THE tone amp in the 80s.

I was told that the O/P trannie blew up and replaced... sounded like crap after that. This is what I was told...

Kw

Im in awe that some people would still buy and old plexi after guys like George at Metroamp can get the same sound out of there product for less money and its new!!
The Metroamp that I heard at the NY/NJ ampshow KILLED with a hotplate !!
Mark Cameron also showed us how to get the VH tone!!! Fuck do I love that guy!! (love you to Mr. Schmidt!_)

Gainfreak":f46ab said:
I have been sworn to secrecy :hys:

That said, if Mark wants to let the cat out of the bag, I'll let him do it!! ;)

Yeah, like we're going to trust info from a guy that can't figure out how to properly test and charge a camcorder the day before the amp show!!
th_hysterical.gif

Gainfreak":11c6a said:
Im in awe that some people would still buy and old plexi after guys like George at Metroamp can get the same sound out of there product for less money and its new!!
The Metroamp that I heard at the NY/NJ ampshow KILLED with a hotplate !!
Mark Cameron also showed us how to get the VH tone!!! Fuck do I love that guy!! (love you to Mr. Schmidt!_)

But in all fairness. I bought my '72 for the price of an unbuilt metro kit. 2, 5, 10, or 20 years from now, which one will be worth more?

ratter":afee4 said:

But in all fairness. I bought my '72 for the price of an unbuilt metro kit. 2, 5, 10, or 20 years from now, which one will be worth more?

See this is my pet peeve, the "investment" point of view. Yes if I was flipping gear like a lunatic I would be concerned about getting my money back on the Metro but if I was certain that the Metro was going to deliver what I am looking for then the return on investment point is null and void.

If I found a SLP local and it was in good shape I probably would hit that first though.

ratter":4b2ee said:

A 72 is a lot different then a 67 Plexi. The 70 series s/l are still relatively cheap compared to the plexiglass Marshalls. If you are talking about a collecters piece then I hear you but I would rather get a Metro Plexi kit then a 60's plexi because of the $$$ issues and odds are that it will not have any issues down the road.

Digital Jams":dab88 said:

See this is my pet peeve, the "investment" point of view. Yes if I was flipping gear like a lunatic I would be concerned about getting my money back on the Metro but if I was certain that the Metro was going to deliver what I am looking for then the return on investment point is null and void.

If I found a SLP local and it was in good shape I probably would hit that first though.

I'm not talking about investments, per se. Believe me, if you saw my gear you'd understand I'm not the investor/collector type. But all else being equal, why wouldn't you go for the one that will hold value or increase value?

Gainfreak":f10e9 said:

A 72 is a lot different then a 67 Plexi. The 70 series s/l are still relatively cheap compared to the plexiglass Marshalls. If you are talking about a collecters piece then I hear you but I would rather get a Metro Plexi kit then a 60's plexi because of the $$$ issues and odds are that it will not have any issues down the road.

I see what you're saying but in a sense I disagree. You can of course build whatever circuit you want in a Metro, but you're using new parts. So in that sense, I think an original '72 super lead has more in common with an original '69 super lead than a '69 metro has with an original '69? Know what I mean? Not to mention that one has vibe and one doesn't. That's just my personal preference after owning a couple clones.

ratter":0ed07 said:

I'm not talking about investments, per se. Believe me, if you saw my gear you'd understand I'm not the investor/collector type. But all else being equal, why wouldn't you go for the one that will hold value or increase value?

That is a tough question, I am not as versed in Plexi type amps as you are so there would be a chance I would buy the wrong one or something that was screwed with. I know what I would be getting from George and would not be afraid to put the iron to it or punch holes in it.

Of course having something that would rise in value would be cool :)

Digital Jams":0f5f8 said:

That is a tough question, I am not as versed in Plexi type amps as you are so there would be a chance I would buy the wrong one or something that was screwed with. I know what I would be getting from George and would not be afraid to put the iron to it or punch holes in it.

Of course having something that would rise in value would be cool :)

Now that's an excellent point. It's kinda scary to buy an old amp, at least it was for me. That's a very valid concern. I split the difference and went for one that was mostly original, with original iron, but that had been around the block, so I haven't been afraid to put the iron to it. It's about half super bass and half ralle-ized at this point, and it's an ass-kicker...

ratter":8a6f9 said:

I see what you're saying but in a sense I disagree. You can of course build whatever circuit you want in a Metro, but you're using new parts. So in that sense, I think an original '72 super lead has more in common with an original '69 super lead than a '69 metro has with an original '69? Know what I mean? Not to mention that one has vibe and one doesn't. That's just my personal preference after owning a couple clones.

George is one of the few guys who has gone to great lengths to get all the new parts to sounds right. The new amps will definitely not have the mojo factor of an old amp but they sure sound great!
I totally know where you are going with what you are saying and I probably would have agreed with you years ago, But what I heard at the Metro booth was as good as if not better then any old marshall that I have heard or owned. To be quite honest with you, His amp smoked my 72 and any re-issue Marshall that I have heard so far in person. To add insult to injury, George has done comparison clips comparing some of his builds to his originals and I don't think anyone could tell the difference between the 2. A 72 superlead will have more in common with a 69 plexi if you can get one that has all of the original parts which is a good score if you can find one!
I totally understand where you are comming from but for what I woul d want, A metroamp would suite me just fine ! I also wouldn't have any fear of gigging with a metro where I would have a fear using a 72 Superlead or 67 Plexi at a gig.
All in all, I'm basically saying that Im glad that companies like Georges exist!!

Back