Started modding Randall MTS modules again

stratotone

Last time I had an RM setup, I started messing around with modding them. I just got this SL+ in, and did a mod to it with a switch.

BTW, if you put a switch in one of these modules, better be really careful where you put it... check out how close the sides are!

mod4.jpg

Here's a pic of it without the faceplate, in my RM100:

mod1.jpg

Another hard part was getting everything to fit well. There's not a lot of space for the caps that I used (orange drops). Here's what my switch does:

Position 'up' - .0022 cap (tighter than stock)
Center - .001 cap (much tighter)
Down - - .0047 cap, stock (bassy and a little sloppy on the low end)

mod2.jpg

Now, I can see how some people would like to leave their modules in one position, but 'down' is great for leads and centered is awesome for tight rhythms. Up works well too if you want a little more low end.

All of my modules are getting modded, since sometimes I may want to use them for leads or rhythms. If you mod them to a fixed value, then you're stuck, so to speak.

One other thing to consider - these faceplates are HARD AS HELL TO DRILL. The metal underneath them is no big deal, but the faceplates are horrible! I have a faceplate being made for my SL+ as a test, if it goes well then I'll put those on modules that I mod.

I'll need to figure out how much it would be worth to me, but I may either offer to mod people's modules or trade my modded ones for stock plus a little cash, or sell outright. I know there are a lot of DIY folk here, but this is a little bit more involved for most than just a cap change.

Pete

Was that pic taken before you removed the stock cap?

It kind of looks like you are adding a cap in parallel to the stock one otherwise...

Pretty cool idea...I need to get a modded SL+ at some point :D

I've always thought that those Randall module things were a very cool idea. Especially since people could modify them pretty easily.

Pete, could you hook up the caps to a pot so you could get a variable tightness control type of thing?

:|::QBB:
JKD":54b7f said:
Was that pic taken before you removed the stock cap?

It kind of looks like you are adding a cap in parallel to the stock one otherwise...

Pretty cool idea...I need to get a modded SL+ at some point :D

The top pic was, but you can't see it. The stock caps in these are those brown Xicons... I really like Orange drops personally. They are a little bigger, but have IMHO better highs... and my RM is kinda dark to begin with. I may replace the xicons with ODs (same values) on other parts of the board.

Stock cap was removed, and I did put caps in parallel to get the three different values. I'm going to do the jcm800 tonestack mod on it tonight and make it switchable too... I have a new faceplate drawn up also that I'm going to have made. If I end up doing these for people they won't be cheap but they will look and sound great!

Pete

:|::QBB:
-=MYK=-":f63af said:
I've always thought that those Randall module things were a very cool idea. Especially since people could modify them pretty easily.

Pete, could you hook up the caps to a pot so you could get a variable tightness control type of thing?

I don't think you can hook up a cap/pot combo, since this is a coupling cap - it couples one stage to the next. The three values that I selected are pretty standard, and while they do sound different, I don't know how much of a difference you'd really get with the 'in between' values. Plus there's not much room on here for a pot... the switch is dang tight as it is.

Pete

Back