Diezel Einstein OR Bogner Ecstasy

:|::QBB:
Echoes":68a9c said:
thanks for the input...this guy took $2600 for this amp so I;ll let you know what it sounds like when I get it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/purple-bogner-ecstasy-kt-88-101b_W0QQitemZ250116161234QQihZ015QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I find it hilarious that he couldn't straighten the tubes out before taking the pictures... or, are the sockets all screwed up?

Echoes":b09a4 said:

if it aint any good then 'purple' would prolly make er easier to sell...kinda different look etc...at least my curiosity will be satisfied.

I liked my ProMod Splawn with KT88s so it should be interesting hearing Bogner's version...

The circuitry is going to dictate the voicing far more than a tube type change. It's still going to sound like an Ecstasy and those 6550's aren't going to tighten it up much, if any. What I don't understand is how they biased it for those tubes without any internal mods. Don't 6550/KT88's bias in a completely different range than EL34's?

Bob Savage":207d1 said:

The circuitry is going to dictate the voicing far more than a tube type change. It's still going to sound like an Ecstasy and those 6550's aren't going to tighten it up much, if any. What I don't understand is how they biased it for those tubes without any internal mods. Don't 6550/KT88's bias in a completely different range than EL34's?

I dunno, I think Reinhold said you could use 6550s instead of EL34s without any changes? But that 6L6/5881s were in a completely different range.

'63-Strat":87cf7 said:

I dunno, I think Reinhold said you could use 6550s instead of EL34s without any changes? But that 6L6/5881s were in a completely different range.

I'm not a tech so perhaps somebody with first hand knowledge will chime in, but I thought 6550's drew a lot more power. At least, I don't think I can run EL34's in my D60 (not that I'd want to).

Bob Savage":0759f said:

I'm not a tech so perhaps somebody with first hand knowledge will chime in, but I thought 6550's drew a lot more power. At least, I don't think I can run EL34's in my D60 (not that I'd want to).

Well for example, I know the first Classics that came out were 6550s.

Bob Savage":6fac9 said:

I'm not exactly sure what that demonstrates, but yeah, I believe at least one proto Uber had them too.

:o

Just that I doubt there was a much difference between them and the ones now. Whereas the 101As have diff transformers than the 101Bs, for example. I could be wrong, but aren't you in Socal? You could phone and confirm :idea:

Echoes":6fd02 said:
I knew I would regret selling my 50 watt Einstein...I am going to get another, OR should I get an Ecstasy....

Which is prefered here?
I liked the XTC a lot more. I mean...a lot. Might as well try one and if want to go back to the Einy, you can. :thumbsup:

'63-Strat":95d2d said:
I could be wrong, but aren't you in Socal? You could phone and confirm :idea:

I don't care enough to call and ask, quite frankly, besides, I'm pretty sure you can make calls across state (country) lines in this new fangled information age, so being in CA isn't a prerequisite for calling.

Bob Savage":a9cb5 said:

I find it hilarious that he couldn't straighten the tubes out before taking the pictures... or, are the sockets all screwed up?

lol, I noticed that too. Any particular reason why the power switch is on the back too?

Bob Savage":85e4b said:

I don't care enough to call and ask, quite frankly, besides, I'm pretty sure you can make calls across state (country) lines in this new fangled information age, so being in CA isn't a prerequisite for calling.

True, but I don't care enough to pay long distance :o

I used to have a xtc and I've played the einstein many times and I like the xtc more. I plan on buying another someday.

zao":1f0ad said:
I used to have a xtc and I've played the einstein many times and I like the xtc more. I plan on buying another someday.

Thanks zao...and JB. I know both you guys have owned and or played both so your opinion carries decent weight in my book. :thumbsup: I couldn't resist the 6550 version even though it is purple...those big-ass tubes are 'bending the sockets :lol: ....

J.B.":54093 said:
:|::QBB:I liked the XTC a lot more. I mean...a lot. Might as well try one and if want to go back to the Einy, you can. :thumbsup:

yep...I had a chance to buy your XTC a few months ago but my wife put an 11th hour *VETO* to that deal... :doh:

Your avatar is AWESOME! :thumbsup:

Bob Savage":309f0 said:

I always thought that you had to adjust the circuit to accomodate KT88s...but then again some amps will accomodate them without it ie Norum from the band Europe uses Marshall 50 watt JCM800 heads with KT88s and no circuit changes...I guess it depends on the circuit AND the rating values for your trannies...I had Scott Splawn put a quad of KT88s in my QuickRod (which is designed for EL34) he said he just needed to bias the amp without any changes...essentially it became a 'ProMod' in Splawn terms...so, I guess it is OK with some amps and a NO with others...

Bob Savage":2db65 said:

after looking at the picture again, it appears that the 6550s base is too wide to fit between the 'rivets' that anchor the sockets...so the tubes are riding on top of the rivet heads only partially seated...I hope it doesn't cause a 'hum' problem...

I think the 2 amps are completely different. I owned a 101b for about a month and I currently have an Einstein at my place, but I don't own it. I like the Einstein much, much better. Oddly enough, I like the xtc clips better (especially JB's clips) but in person I just didn't like the feel and couldn't get past it.

Let us know how you like your new purple one and if/why you like it better than the Diezel.

BTW - that looks way better than my old Purple Soldano. :thumbsup:

Megadeth7684":7836c said:

Haha! :lol:

tiffany-toth-04.jpg

:eek: :love:

:yes: :thumbsup: G A P E / A 2 M

This one isn't a close comparison for me. XTC all the way... I'd have to seriously think about it more if you threw a Herbert or VH4 in the mix.

Back