Cubicle/Desk Job advice.

Jordon

So I know some of you guys work cubicle/desk jobs. I'm looking for some advice on this. I start working for Musco Lighting on Monday checking componants for ROHAS and WEEE compliance (I get my own desk and cubicle plus phone line (wooohoo! haha), and this is my first office job. I'm stoked though, cause it's dealing with electronics, and next to music, it's my second love. Any input? It's a small district office, and it's an amazing company. Only downside so far...my father is my boss...and we dont get along when we work together haha.

:|::QBB:
ZielGuitarist":553f0 said:
So I know some of you guys work cubicle/desk jobs. I'm looking for some advice on this. I start working for Musco Lighting on Monday checking componants for ROHAS and WEEE compliance (I get my own desk and cubicle plus phone line (wooohoo! haha), and this is my first office job. I'm stoked though, cause it's dealing with electronics, and next to music, it's my second love. Any input? It's a small district office, and it's an amazing company. Only downside so far...my father is my boss...and we dont get along when we work together haha.

Ah, the quandaries of office life :D

One nice thing about corporate america (depending on how you look at it ) is the built in inefficiencies, which means putting on appearances can and sometimes will be more important than actual performance :)

Shiny_Surface":5a817 said:

Ah, the quandaries of office life :D

One nice thing about corporate america (depending on how you look at it ) is the built in inefficiencies, which means putting on appearances can and sometimes will be more important than actual performance :)

I understand that a bit. It was awkward though, I walked in for my interview in nice black slacks and a blue dress shirt and blue tie...everyone including my father was dressed in jeans and a polo. I would have figured that appearance would have mattered....but I was the only one who applied for the position. I just happened to be highly qualified. I'm really excited. Well..my back is excited. I cannot do any more manual labor. At 21 humble years of age, I cannot do any more heavy lifting....thank you to a decade of motocross, I have horrible knees and 2 herniated disks in my back.. I'm just glad to be doing something interesting and low-impact. Not to mention the benefits, and the fact the Gm is already talking about raises and promotions.

One word of advice, don't snack at your desk. I know a lot a people who piled on weight after getting desk jobs because it was easy to eat all day long and not get any exercise.

Ive never had a traditional "office" job, but get outside as often as you can. Take lunches/break outside whenever possible. Helps pass the day. Also, +1 to the snacking thing

Well, regarding interview attire, it doesn't matter how overdressed you are compared to your future co-workers. I went to my last interviews in a full suit, and I was always more dressed up than the interviewers. Heck, I still dress up more than my co-workers, just because I don't have any clothes between business-casual and grunge :) I was surprised to see that a lot of my coworkers don't even tuck in their shirts.

Mudder":09aaf said:
One word of advice, don't snack at your desk. I know a lot a people who piled on weight after getting desk jobs because it was easy to eat all day long and not get any exercise.

Oh snacking is off limits. I'm putting myself on a strict diet because I'll be sitting on my fat ass all day.

Back