SD-1 boosted JMP100 and Axe-FX comparison clip.

:|::QBB:
JackBootedThug":9c782 said:
what's up with the new model cliff?

I'm assuming you mean the "Ultra" model.

Faster DSP, more memory. Bunch of new effects and sub-algorithms. Aimed at pro sound and studio use.

Here's a quick laundry list:

20% Faster DSP with six times more memory.
2) Synthesizer Blocks
(1) 40-tap MegaTap Delay
(1) 16-band Vocoder
(1) Stereo Diffuser w/ modulation
(2) Stereo Expander / Gates
(1) Pitch Corrector
(2) 10-Tap Delays
(2) 10-Tap Rhythm-Tap Delays (tap rhythm in directly or enter pattern)
(2) Multiband Compressors
(1) Ring Modulator
(2) Stereo Crossovers
(2) Quad-Series Delays
(2) Quad-Stereo Choruses
(2) Four-band Resonators
(1) Additional Pitch Block
(2) Additional 8-band Graphic Equalizers
(2) Additonal 5-band Parametric Equalizers
(2) Additional Filter blocks
Pitch Blocks have custom scales and aribitray custom shifter maps.
Faster pitch detection.

I'm also working on a looper. Don't see any reason it won't be included but it's not official yet.

CC

No the looper in the foot controller is a pedal looper. One of those things where you can switch your pedals in and out of the chain.

The looper in the ultra will be a phrase sampler.

Bit of a terminology mixup.

CC

cliffc8488":22f94 said:
No the looper in the foot controller is a pedal looper. One of those things where you can switch your pedals in and out of the chain.

The looper in the ultra will be a phrase sampler.

Bit of a terminology mixup.

CC

Damn!!!....................What's the upcharge for having the regular Axe FX's board swapped out with an Ultra's again? :)

Hey Cliff, Riffy, and Shredi. I'm deadringer from the HRI and Axe Fx boards.

For the doubters I can tell you that by running my Axe Fx into my Peavey Classic 50/50 and Mesa Recto 4x12 that I can easily cop the tone AND feel of all the toys I've owned before. I found the tone and feel of both my two and three channel Dual Rectos, my Rectoverbs, my Triaxis/2:90 rig, both my Mark IVA & B, and it out-Marshalls the SL+ and Plexi modules I had in my Randall RM4/RT2:50 rig.

It absolutely slays the Vetta II head I just ebayed (my Axe Fx replaced it) in every category I could think of. It sounds like a tube, feels, like a tube amp, and plays like a tube amp. All that with fx that rival or beat Eventide / Lexicon / TC Electronic and it's all easier to use than the old G Major I used to run.

I've personally fooled old tube snobs who've played through my rig and impressed every single guitarist that's heard it.

It IS the real deal. There is no hype on this sucker. I took the plunge and got on the waiting list because it sounded like the Holy Grail to me. I didn't even expect it to blow me away as well as it did. It's a fuckin' monster. :thumbsup:

well, it's being run, presumably, through a tube power amp. So it SHOULD feel better than the Vetta on that basis alone.

I have one on order too. The Vetta just didn't do it for me.

ampjunkie":947a2 said:
well, it's being run, presumably, through a tube power amp. So it SHOULD feel better than the Vetta on that basis alone.

Totally unrelated... your avatar cracks me up.

CC

Hey Cliff, listened to your clips and the verbs and delays sound very good and seem to track well.

Good luck with your product :)

cliffc8488":c3ebd said:

Totally unrelated... your avatar cracks me up.

CC

Can you explain?

Shouldn't (using a Vetta as an example) a Vetta preamp through a tube amp have better feel than a Vetta head (with no tubes)? Transformers can/may be a bigger part of the feel than the tubes (that's where the sag comes into play, a big factor in feel). I know yours has some sag modeling .... is that what you're getting at??

ampjunkie":147d3 said:
Shouldn't (using a Vetta as an example) a Vetta preamp through a tube amp have better feel than a Vetta head (with no tubes)? Transformers can/may be a bigger part of the feel than the tubes (that's where the sag comes into play, a big factor in feel). I know yours has some sag modeling .... is that what you're getting at??

The Axe-Fx simulates the power supply including the input transformer and rectifier. The virtual power supply sags as more virtual current is demanded from it. So if you play harder it sags like a real amp.

Other modelers just use a compressor after the amp to simulate sag. The Axe-Fx simulates the power supply droop and the change in the power amp characteristics as a result.

You can adjust the amount of sag to your liking as well. If you want a tighter fell you can decrease the sag (good for palm-mute chugga-chugga). If, like myself, you prefer it spongy you can increase the sag and use your picking and guitar volume to control the amount of power tube breakup.

The output tranny is also simulated.

CC

ampjunkie":6f8d5 said:

I'm sure that helps but even run direct the feel is still there. It's sometimes hard to describe but putting the two head to head is just jaw dropping. In fact the longer I own my Axe the more I see the limitations of the Vetta.

of the clips i've heard, i can hear that the delay, reverb, and modulations effects are of a caliber on par with the mighty triple grail; tc, lexi, eventide.

amp sound clips---i heard a nice U2 tone, and one nice clean tone, but it was all very effected as well.
but none of the dry dirty clips posess the "flesh" of a killer tube amp into a nice speaker. too narrow and focused without the breathing.

that's not to say that the unit isn't capable of doing it.

but if it's a matter of "cabinet emulation" being used to produce realism, most of the programs i've heard are just filtering out those shrill direct high frequencies and adding boominess to emulate "cab resonance" instead of having the real sources and all of their ultra complex textures and interactions.

it's the same principle as digital mic emulation...and i've yet to hear a 57 transform into a akg C414 or neumann U87

i still hear a flat 2-D quality to the raw preamp tone in the axe-fx. no bloom.

now if you were to mate this thing to an egnater M4, i suspect it would be game over. i could definitely see

gtr->axe-fx; preamp out->M4->return to axe-fx to feed fx section

using the axe-fx preamp to add some dirt to the M4 modules, let the modules handle the bulk of the preamp chores, and return into the effects of the axe-fx

a pedal loop to apply additional outboard pedals before the axe-fx preamp section would be awesome...and the more the merrier for midi controllable pedal combinations....my old rivera tbr-1 had a single "pre-preamp" pedal loop with it's own dedicated level control, as well as a traditional fx loop after the amp's preamp section, with independant send and return level control knobs......

and if there were some presets you liked in the axe-fx without the M4, bypass the loop/M4 entirely for ultra direct sounds.

Interesting thread. I remember reading about the Axe last year - then I lost track. As a guy who actually started with a Vetta...then went to tubes...and haven't looked back...I've remained interested in what might end up being possible with modelers. One of the great limitations with the Vetta for me was sensitivity to PUPS. Rolling off the volume...really didn't do much (again IMO) not like my Tube amps. Characteristics of pups didn't really shine through that well either - although some of my tube amps do that better than others. I also never really liked, or could find, "in between" tones...that measured up. Things like just a little dirt, or a touch of hair ...that you get by rolling off the vol -- think intro to Song and Emotion...or something along those lines.

mentoneman":4e085 said:
of the clips i've heard, i can hear that the delay, reverb, and modulations effects are of a caliber on par with the mighty triple grail; tc, lexi, eventide.

amp sound clips---i heard a nice U2 tone, and one nice clean tone, but it was all very effected as well.
but none of the dry dirty clips posess the "flesh" of a killer tube amp into a nice speaker. too narrow and focused without the breathing.

but if it's a matter of "cabinet emulation" being used to produce realism, most of the programs i've heard are just filtering out those shrill direct high frequencies and adding boominess to emulate "cab resonance" instead of having the real sources and all of their ultra complex textures and interactions.

it's the same principle as digital mic emulation...and i've yet to hear a 57 transform into a akg C414 or neumann U87

now if you were to mate this thing to an egnater M4, i suspect it would be game over. i could definitely see

using the axe-fx preamp to add some dirt to the M4 modules, let the modules handle the bulk of the preamp chores, and return into the effects of the axe-fx

a pedal loop to apply additional outboard pedals before the axe-fx preamp section would be awesome...and the more the merrier for midi controllable pedal combinations....my old rivera tbr-1 had a single "pre-preamp" pedal loop with it's own dedicated level control, as well as a traditional fx loop after the amp's preamp section, with independant send and return level control knobs......

and if there were some presets you liked in the axe-fx without the M4, bypass the loop/M4 entirely for ultra direct sounds.
MM, I think it can be done. But not the conventional way. Closest I've heard was the Waves Q-clone where I "pinged" my own set up...Flexi poweramp->V30->E609...
www.eddegenaro.com/audio/brush.mp3

mentoneman":cf5f4 said:

Thanks for saying it Pat. I'm not trying to be a hater at all, but the recorded direct, distorted tones are just not there. I wish they were. I would easily pay 50% more than what this unit costs to find something I can record direct with that gets me those rock to heavy rock sounds. I checked out the website clips and the clips on the forum and well, I'm still waiting and hoping.

No disrespect meant to the creator of this unit and it's fans. We all hear things differently.

Chubtone":7af62 said:

Thanks for saying it Pat. I'm not trying to be a hater at all, but the recorded direct, distorted tones are just not there. I wish they were. I would easily pay 50% more than what this unit costs to find something I can record direct with that gets me those rock to heavy rock sounds. I checked out the website clips and the clips on the forum and well, I'm still waiting and hoping.

No disrespect meant to the creator of this unit and it's fans. We all hear things differently.

the Closest that I have ever gotten to the direct recording of a tubeamp was by using an axetrak. Everything else sounds like a sim to me unless you are a wiz with recording or you use single coils. For some reason, I think single coils record better with PODS or other sim types of gear.
all IMHO.

I might go home for lunch today and do a quick axetrak rhythm clip.

Back