Hot Plate question

:|::QBB:
carlygtr56":9c0ea said:
Might get one, but I got a question.

If I'm running my head at 8 ohms to drive TWO 16 ohm Marshall cab, which Hot Plate?
Yep 8 ohms is what you want. I have one in stock if you want it, make you a good deal on it too.

I actually use the 8 ohm with either one 16 ohm cab or 2. I just set my head on 8 and plug in either way. I had a 16 ohm for awhile, but sold it and got another 8 ohm. It sounds better to me.

carlygtr56":9bc29 said:

I figured I'd post it here :lol:
Happy B-Day, btw :)

What happens if I want to sometimes run one 16 ohm cab?
Thanks.
When you're running a single 16 ohm cab with the 8 ohm keep the head on 8 ohm and you're good.

degenaro":7f7ae said:
Thanks.
When you're running a single 16 ohm cab with the 8 ohm keep the head on 8 ohm and you're good.
Also works the other way around, if you get a 16 ohm to run with one cab with the amp set to 16 ohm, set the amp to 8 ohm when using two 16 ohm cabs with the 16 ohm HP.

So can you run just one 16 ohm cab with a head that has this configuration: 4 speaker output: 1x8 ohm, 1x4 ohm, 2x16 ohm, 2x8 ohm

So can I just use the 1x8ohm output into a 16ohm cab?

No one makes an attenuator with mulitple impedances? That might send me to the drawing board...

ejecta":209a9 said:
So can you run just one 16 ohm cab with a head that has this configuration: 4 speaker output: 1x8 ohm, 1x4 ohm, 2x16 ohm, 2x8 ohm

So can I just use the 1x8ohm output into a 16ohm cab?
That would be a safe mismatch.

kannibul":3e2da said:

Marshall does, if I remember correctly.
Indeed, the powerbrake is build around a transformer switchable between 8 and 16 ohm.
Most everything you'll come across as "one size fits all" is an 8 ohm load that you can mismatch to 4 or 16 ohm. You're SOL for 2 ohm stuff though.
And stuff like the Ultimate Attenuator is a 32 ohm load that gets fed into a SS power amp.

Wow..I never realized the HP was so flexible...sounds like a single step mis-match in either direction on the 8Ohm works.

It seems a bit confusing though...do I set the amp always to 8Ohms (the Hotplate load) or the speaker load? Seems like two different ways are given above but they are talking about both 8Ohm and 16Ohm HP...so hard to decipher conclusively.

shit i didnt know you could mismatch them?!
i always thought you had to match them all the time
16ohm head>16ohm hot plate>16 ohm cab...etc.

I have a 16ohm hot plate but always wanted to use it with a stack but I thought I had to buy a 8ohm hotplate for use with 2 16ohm cabs.

JKD":ec59a said:
Wow..I never realized the HP was so flexible...sounds like a single step mis-match in either direction on the 8Ohm works.

It seems a bit confusing though...do I set the amp always to 8Ohms (the Hotplate load) or the speaker load? Seems like two different ways are given above but they are talking about both 8Ohm and 16Ohm HP...so hard to decipher conclusively.
That applies not just the Hot Plate, but any attenuator or mismtach for that matter.
Here's the deal, when you mismatch with an attenuator you use the impedance that is the lower of the impedances following it.
i.e. 8 ohm HP and 4 ohm load (2 8 ohm cabs) you'd use the 4 ohm setting on the amp, or
8 ohm HP and 16 ohm load you'd use the 8 ohm setting on the amp.

on an Vox AC30 the you'd have to swap the transformer wire to the 8 ohm tap to use it with an 8 ohm attenuator.

To keep in mind there are some amp builders that will void your warranty when using an attenuator. I believe Roccaforte and Fuchs are 2 of them.
Which is due to mercury Magnetics voiding their warranty to the amp builders I'm told.
That said I believe an amp should be able to run happily full tilt boogie with or without an attenuator.
Then there are guys like Mesa, Bogner, VHT, Soldano that actually suggest out product.

And guys like Marshall, Aiken, Komet, Dr.Z , Trainwreck, us (THD) that have you use their attenuator.

Lespaul1981":5e15b said:
shit i didnt know you could mismatch them?!
i always thought you had to match them all the time
16ohm head>16ohm hot plate>16 ohm cab...etc.

I have a 16ohm hot plate but always wanted to use it with a stack but I thought I had to buy a 8ohm hotplate for use with 2 16ohm cabs.
I have 3 Hot Plates...4, 8, and a 16 and most of the time end up mismatching the 16 ohm.

Back