New gear inbound: AxeFX

• Thread starter Thread starter grooveHT
  • Start date Start date
So, because an effects unit has been out for only a few years MAX, it has to be the industry standard to be better? WTF kind of logic is that? Also, what's this bullshit about using analyzer spectrums to back up my claims? Are ears not enough for you?

Every single fucking time someone mentions the AxeFX, you go around and start bashing it. OH, IT'S NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD! OH, HOLDSWORTH DOESN'T USE IT! IT'S TOTAL SHIT IF THAT'S THE CASE! IT HASN'T BEEN AROUND FOR 348945734987534 YEARS. Give me a break man!

Ask about it on HRI and you'll see....

:|::QBB:
Digital Jams":fa2c0 said:
I am really digging the effects on those, could give the eclipse a run for it's money for sure but for that change I would have to bound with it first to put it though the paces.

This is bashing the unit??

lol.........I am asking you to back your claim that the axe-fx kills eventide and you fire off that rant :lol:

You find one post where I get as negative as your "kills" line and I will man up and state I was wrong.

I stated the standard line as many here do while describing equipment because it is regarded at that time as the best...it is not some obscure line I just created :lol: SM57 = a studio standard cab mic right??

Also.......you state presets and voicing......bingo. effects are what the user programs and nothing more. Shit programming = shit effects. Like having a Triton workstation and using the factory presets.

After reading about 4 threads on HRI about the axe-fx the big thing that people are speaking about is the feel of the unit and that it could be a studio in a box for many.

Thing is I do not need all of that power to run a wet / dry rig. If I was gigging with a small rack the axe-fx would be very high on the list to try.

Digital Jams":7326d said:

So who sold Eventides to buy these? Anyone in the biz?

I am serious, produce the facts and analyzer results and I would get one but right now you are not backing up that this new company is blowing away one of the gold standards. Like I said before if I had a month or so to really dive into one of these there would be a good chance I would get one since I have the funds for this.

Sorry but you are just making a pretty large assumption. Eventide, TC Electronics, and Lexicon are known to be the holy trinity when it comes to studio quality time based effects and IMO it is going to take some serious studio shoot-outs to prove what you have said.

In a very strict guitar application, I am getting closer to going with an Axe-Fx, but not "instead of" rather... "in addition to", in the form of a small gig rig.

So many guys, when referring to Eventide, are specifically referring to the Eclipse, or older less sophisticated models than what Eventide actually has available on the market, like the H8000FW.

I happen to agree that TC, Lexicon, Eventide are amongst the RULERS of processors. Like Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche. There are definately other makes out there that rival them with after-market upgrades etc... but... They are NOT a Ferrari, Lamborghini, nor a Porsche, nor do they offer ALL that owning one or ALL of those greats offers.

In the end, choices are good and the only litmus test is, does what WE choose, do what WE want/need. :thumbsup:

I couldn't even begin to compare the Axe to Eventide stuff as I've never owned or worked with their stuff.

I can say this, and others are free to argue with me, but the Axe Fx KILLS the Vetta II head I was using previously. No, it not only kills the Vetta II it kicks down the door to the Vetta's house, fucks Vetta's woman in front of Vetta and then kills it.

I wasn't in the market for a super high end fx unit so I won't speak to that market. I was looking for a modeler that would get me all the tones and versatility I wanted yet didn't feel like cold dead fish. The fact that the Axe's fx are great to boot is just gravy.

Zachman":8eab2 said:

In a very strict guitar application, I am getting closer to going with an Axe-Fx, but not "instead of" rather... "in addition to", in the form of a small gig rig.

So many guys, when referring to Eventide, are specifically referring to the Eclipse, or older less sophisticated models than what Eventide actually has available on the market, like the H8000FW.

I happen to agree that TC, Lexicon, Eventide are amongst the RULERS of processors. Like Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche. There are definately other makes out there that rival them with after-market upgrades etc... but... They are NOT a Ferrari, Lamborghini, nor a Porsche, nor do they offer ALL that owning one or ALL of those greats offers.

In the end, choices are good and the only litmus test is, does what WE choose, do what WE want/need. :thumbsup:

After reading up on this it would make a great gig ready solution coupled with a Boogie or VHT power amp......no doubt about it.

About the tone and effects, on HRI it seems from guys that have big effects unit experience that there is a tonal difference that in the end will be up to the user to decide, no one killing the other it seems. Eventide has that color that only Eventide can produce it seems while the axe-fx seems very neutral.

H8000 would freaking rule!!!!

OK, I hear you on the Axe-Fx versus the Line 6 stuff. Trouble is, I have heard some killer, killer recordings that guys have done with the Line 6 stuff. Good enough to make me ignore that I have $8k worth of high end tube amps 5' away from me and shell out the money for a Pod XT.

Since the early 90's with the release of the H&K Cream Machine and Metal Shredder I have been waiting for something that actually sounded KILLER for direct recording. I would buy an Axe Fx in a heartbeat, I just need to hear the clips that are strong enough to convince me. Where are the best Axe Fx clips?

Digital Jams":73310 said:

Sorry but do not give me info about guys listening on home studio monitors unless there last name is Lang, Wagner, or Templeton.

Who is this Templeton feller?

Steve

Digital Jams":9694f said:

So who sold Eventides to buy these? Anyone in the biz?

I know someone who's a luthier that's selling his Eclipse and buying one of these for its effects. He's also owned more high end gear than you can shake a stick at, and has been one of the few people I could regularly turn to for opinions of my prototypes.

You don't want frequency analyzer pictures, by the way. They won't prove anything. ART used them in their ads in the late 80s to "prove" one of their preamps could accurately imitate Marshalls, Boogies etc. and we all know just how true that turned out to be. :)

So unfortunately you will in fact have to try it and compare it to your Eclipse or H3500 to know if you prefer it. I have no idea if you'd prefer it or not, and I don't care to speculate one way or the other. I'm not a rack effects sort of guy, so it's not as though I'm sitting here crossing my fingers hoping this will prove to be the best processor since sliced bread (because we all know sliced bread was an awesome processor!)

Digital Jams":08f16 said:

Eventide has that color that only Eventide can produce it seems while the axe-fx seems very neutral.

The Wave Mechanics SoundBlender is an Eventide H3000 in a plug in. I defy anyone to tell me they can hear the difference between the plugin and a real H3000 in a recording. It is cheap by comparison, I can instantiate a pile of them in a recording project and it sounds great. Not useful for live, but it proves the color can be produced outside of Eventide... in fact, Wave Mechanics was founded by a bunch of ex-Eventide folks...

Steve

JamesPeters":58176 said:

I know someone who's a luthier that's selling his Eclipse and buying one of these for its effects. He's also owned more high end gear than you can shake a stick at, and has been one of the few people I could regularly turn to for opinions of my prototypes.

You don't want frequency analyzer pictures, by the way. They won't prove anything. ART used them in their ads in the late 80s to "prove" one of their preamps could accurately imitate Marshalls, Boogies etc. and we all know just how true that turned out to be. :)

So unfortunately you will in fact have to try it and compare it to your Eclipse or H3500 to know if you prefer it. I have no idea if you'd prefer it or not, and I don't care to speculate one way or the other. I'm not a rack effects sort of guy, so it's not as though I'm sitting here crossing my fingers hoping this will prove to be the best processor since sliced bread (because we all know sliced bread was an awesome processor!)

Why would I want freq with a time based signal? ;) I hear what your saying though ad remember those ART ads :D

Anyways............per HRI from guys it seems like amps it is up to the user to decide after reading 24 threads, the big seller being the feel, clear sounds, and for the gigging player a great solution. Did not see one killing involved :D From sound clips I dig the Eventide stuff and I like their rep for continued service but from the sounds of it Cliff will soon be able to boost the same.

man..............effects fanbois :P

Back