A Band Named "Tool"

Well damn guys. I'm pumped that they're recording again. Each album is so distinct, yet you always know it's Tool. Can't wait to hear where this one takes us.

Love Tool. Took me a long time to get into them--hated the kids who seemed to like them a lot when I was in high school, but had a moment where things just "clicked" and I've been a huge fan ever since. That said, their live shows are very venue/location dependent. I would not see them in an arena.

There hasn't been a good Jones Toanz thread in a while. :D So which album has your favorite tones?
I like them all and frequently change my mind. I'm glad they're working with Joe again. I think he does a great job. If I could pick a guy to do my album, he'd be in my top couple.

vchizzle":22rozzj0 said:
There hasn't been a good Jones Toanz thread in a while. :D So which album has your favorite tones?
I like them all and frequently change my mind. I'm glad they're working with Joe again. I think he does a great job. If I could pick a guy to do my album, he'd be in my top couple.

Aenima is my fav for album guitar tone. It's raw and organic due to a lot of flange/chorus. Lateralus and 10K Days are more modern and heavy and dark, what with the Bogner and Rivera and more emphasis on the Diezel instead of the Rectifier/Marshall combo. But my favorite tone from Tool ever is just the live stuff from the early '90s with JUST the Marshall. The tone in the JC Dobbs live show on YouTube is my fav.

FourT6and2":fu2jjh6i said:
vchizzle":fu2jjh6i said:

Aenima is my fav for album guitar tone. It's raw and organic due to a lot of flange/chorus. Lateralus and 10K Days are more modern and heavy and dark, what with the Bogner and Rivera and more emphasis on the Diezel instead of the Rectifier/Marshall combo. But my favorite tone from Tool ever is just the live stuff from the early '90s with JUST the Marshall. The tone in the JC Dobbs live show on YouTube is my fav.
The Dobbs show tone rips. My tone is probably most similar to the 10,000 days tone. I still go to that album's tone as my favorite, I guess. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that. I think I like it because it most fits how I play. I like all of them, but probably couldn't use them all for my own sound. His is one rig that I'd love to play through on their stage. Just to see what it sounds like, how loud his stage volume is, etc.

vchizzle":2aecr94l said:
FourT6and2":2aecr94l said:
vchizzle":2aecr94l said:

The Dobbs show tone rips. My tone is probably most similar to the 10,000 days tone. I still go to that album's tone as my favorite, I guess. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that. I think I like it because it most fits how I play. I like all of them, but probably couldn't use them all for my own sound. His is one rig that I'd love to play through on their stage. Just to see what it sounds like, how loud his stage volume is, etc.

His shit is loud. Like it instantly feeds back and goes haywire if you don't manage the guitar volume pot.

I love the live guitar tone on Cold and Ugly and Jerk Off from Opiate. That's probably my favorite.

thenine":21rns471 said:
they are recording again
They've been recording for over 10 years. Didn't Adam Jones say something about their manager holding things up a couple of years ago when they announced "hey, we're recording again"?

danyeo":9b7tmg4q said:
Saw them live once, nearly fell asleep they were so damm boring.
Same happened to me. Saw them once and literally closed my eyes for long periods of time falling asleep. I like that they are original sounding and unique and all but def not my thing.

errrrrl":1pd1hejt said:
danyeo":1pd1hejt said:
Saw them live once, nearly fell asleep they were so damm boring.
Same happened to me. Saw them once and literally closed my eyes for long periods of time falling asleep. I like that they are original sounding and unique and all but def not my thing.
We're you dreaming about Tool? :D

I’m not a huge tool fan, but my goodness, they are extremely talented, just listen to the time changes, and some songs they never even go back to a verse chorus verse chorus arrangement…
Lateralus and 10,000 Days are mixed so incredibly well. I don’t know who does the final mixing, but he does a terrific job.
Adams guitar tone has lots of bite and still retains meat which is great, he’s not afraid of the mid range which I love lots of… great ‘sounding’ CDs,

:LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• Image-1 (2).jpg
    Image-1 (2).jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 2,050
Back