Help Getting Dimebag Tone

Shask":f0ssuzda said:
The biggest key are the Randall amps, IMO. Any of the older 80's or 90's Randall amps have that core tone that is hard to mimic. I had a Century 200 II for years, and I could easily get Pantera tones with it, regardless of pickup, guitar, boost, etc....

i still have my century 200II, rg100es, pq4 and i agree. honestly though, i can cop a convincing dime tone with a metalzone into a clean amp. you can dial in that kind of hollowness in his tone with the parametric eq.

Bloodrock":tzhukvk5 said:
Which Dimebag tone? Lol. His tone changed quite a bit over the years. You really need a Randall for that dry SS tone. Right now I use a Randall Century with a 10 band in the loop and the old blue MXR in front. That mxr is very key, but it’s a noisy bitch. I get very close. Still need a flanger/doubler. Easiest way is to get the Randall X2 full stack, put it on the Dime settings and turn it up. Loudest fucking amp I ever had, but it needs both matching cabs to sound right. That one got the cops called on me more than once. Lol

Trust me when I tell you that Bloodrock and I hiked this road more than most. We are both locals,and I was around at the beginning when it was just the blue MXR and the Yamaha combo into Marshall cabs.

It was always the blue MXR in an extreme frown(two middle sliders all the way up)in front. The Furman eventually wound up in the loop to tweak the tone stack. So,for the op question I would advise hitting the front with lots of mids,then tweaking an eq in the loop of your amp(whatever amp you are using)with an additional eq.

And as Bloodrock says,the X2 is the best way to plug and go...tho I realize that's not the question the op asked. My Dime rig is the one he is referring to. Three X2 heads powering three Warhead stacks of cabs. Ridiculous rig,but oh so enjoyable. Same tone can be had with the C200 head and the aforementioned MXR(tho any good graphic will get you close)and Furman in the loop(but it's even close without the furman). And the Bill Lawrence pickup is a must,tho the Duncan dimebag is ok....Just ok IMO. And no matter what,it's a hissy noisy bitch.

Add liquor to taste and turn it up loud. Bloodrock and I have done it lots of times with real deal Dime gear. Good luck with the tone hunt,man.

Agreed that the dimebucker sounds to nasally. I would think a Lawrence L500-XL is the way to go and as others mentioned, the Randall is huge. That kid in the clip above nails it to my ear. Tubes don't do jagged enough of a sound and while they sound great.. they don't sound right.

Found another interesting vid on Dime tone with a SD dimebucker. Not sure what he using but probably some modeler.

This is pretty Dimey

scottosan":2doy1e5f said:
Love Dime, but never understood his taste in tone

I would have to deduct that metal probably isn't your main choice of music. What is there to criticize about his sound. It's aggressive, fits the style of music, and unique to his amazing playing. Have you heard Cemetery Gates or Makes Them Disappear? That's some fine metal tone in my opinion.

MistaGuitah":u5ugrasb said:
scottosan":u5ugrasb said:

I would have to deduct that metal probably isn't your main choice of music. What is there to criticize about his sound. It's aggressive, fits the style of music, and unique to his amazing playing. Have you heard Cemetery Gates or Makes Them Disappear? That's some fine metal tone in my opinion.

If uber-scooped and grainy is your thing, more power to you.

His tone leaves alot to be desired, IMO. (I hope my opinion doesn't offend you, and you go SavageRiffer on me).

napalmdeath":3u63mcfk said:
Can't get it with the AxFx??

I downloaded a patch for it. You should read up on the AxeFX because it's very easy to find patches for just about any tone on the Internet. All you have to do is hook a USB cable up to your computer and use a software utility. It's that easy. Here, I will give you the link to Fractal's support page.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/support/

RaceU4her":2my52fcq said:
this is so badass. few if any were as good as them in their prime

Not to hijack the thread but I was thinking the same exact thing while watching old Pantera vids yesterday!! Just brutal!! :rawk:

A dimebucker and a boost on your rig should be close enough, and probably better in some ways. I loved his tone, and don’t think extreme metal guitar tones should be all pretty and shit. A friend was playing I’m broken through my Evh and my jackson with a nazgul in it and was pretty close.

mchn13":owap9kxj said:
A dimebucker and a boost on your rig should be close enough, and probably better in some ways. I loved his tone, and don’t think extreme metal guitar tones should be all pretty and shit. A friend was playing I’m broken through my Evh and my jackson with a nazgul in it and was pretty close.

I've been following this thread and decided to get a Dimbucker but got lucky and came across a BL 500XL for only $35 on clearance. I just so happen to have a Duncan 59n laying around. That should be close enough for Dime-style tone on a budget.

MistaGuitah":2i8ur437 said:
mchn13":2i8ur437 said:

I've been following this thread and decided to get a Dimbucker but got lucky and came across a BL 500XL for only $35 on clearance. I just so happen to have a Duncan 59n laying around. That should be close enough for Dime-style tone on a budget.

Yeah dude. I played solid state Randall’s for years, and while they were cool, it was just a base for all that input signal and mid manipulation. The pickup and how you boost will do it imo.

MistaGuitah":ivi8b1o5 said:
scottosan":ivi8b1o5 said:

I grew up on the stuff and love Pantera's music. But his tone is typical unrefined buzzy tone in comparison to others of the same genre. You should be able to pull his tone off pretty easy without dropping alot of coin

Back