Help Getting Dimebag Tone

MistaGuitah":o59y3k9l said:
mchn13":o59y3k9l said:
A dimebucker and a boost on your rig should be close enough, and probably better in some ways. I loved his tone, and don’t think extreme metal guitar tones should be all pretty and shit. A friend was playing I’m broken through my Evh and my jackson with a nazgul in it and was pretty close.

I've been following this thread and decided to get a Dimbucker but got lucky and came across a BL 500XL for only $35 on clearance. I just so happen to have a Duncan 59n laying around. That should be close enough for Dime-style tone on a budget.

You're on the way... to circle back to your original quest to get the tone with your BE100 here what I think will get you there. Turn your gain down to JCM800 levels of gain you may have to pull some low end response out of the BE100 on the amp, boost your gain with MIDS back up with your 6 band EQ into the input, add another 6 or 10 band or Parametric EQ to scoop the mids back out. That kid above with the MXR6 band and PQ4 and the randall just nails it, He is running it MXR > PQ4 > Noise gate > amp input.

Did the old Randall's have an effects loop and did Dime run the PQ in the effects loop or up front? I think you got some good advice from Boodrock that should get you close enough to Dime tone to make you happy without breaking the bank.

As mentioned earlier the old blue face MXR Flanger/Doubler rackmount set for doubling is a key ingredient to his tone! Obviously a Randall RG 100 ES, or 80 ES, Randall Century 200 or a Marshall Valvestate 8100 will get most of the way there. RIP Brother Dime

The old Randall RG 100 ES does have an effects loop. Dime ran everything into the front end except the MXR Flanger/Doubler which was in the effects loop.

I just realized that this is an advantage of the Kemper over the Axe FX. You can't get new amps from Fractal but you can profile any amp with a Kemper. It would be easy to find a Randall and profile it in just a few minutes for instant Dimebag tone. I did a little youtube search and found some pretty great sounding Pantera sounds. I don't know if they nail the tone or whatever but they sound terrific.

Back