Guitar signal noise and signal loss. Help needed!

Dear fellas,

I have a problem with noise and loss of guitar signal in my signal chain:

Guitar --> MXR 10 band eq --> Whirlwind A/B splitterbox --> Marshall 2203X top / 1960BV kabinet.

The signal shortly returns if I unplug the input jack on the amp and plug it in again. However, after a few seconds the signal fades out and is eventually lost. When fading out it is heavily fuzzed and sounds like a lot of noise. There is no problem if I only route the signal through one of the pedals or directly into the amp.

I have a video of the problem right here:

https://youtu.be/00Jyu3vJaBY

Anyone knows what the problem could be?

Any help is appreciated! :)

First off that tone out of that 2203X sounds killer :rock: :rock:

It sounds to me like you're due for a new set of preamp tubes. You had sound until you goosed it on the front end, to which it started to fade away. If it were power tube based, the added noise wouldn't be a problem as they can be regarded as transparent in distortion characteristics discussed here.

Take it to a tech and get some new pre-amp tubes installed. Have them check the health of the powertubes/biasing while it's there.

That looks like a pre amp tube problem as stated, however you have the volume on your MXR eq cranked. This could overload the pre amp....set it no more than 75%...if you can run it center detent. That alone may take care of the problem....could be there isn't anything wrong with your tubes YET.

Otherwise change out the preamp tubes. :thumbsup:

I posted a reply but it didn't take. So if this gets duplicated i apologize in advance.

It looks like you have the volume on your MXR eq pedal volume cranked, could be overloading the preamp. If you can run it at the center detent position that might solve the problem.

If that doesn't work you need new preamp tubes, and if thats the case make sure not to crank that volume too high.

First off you need to take all the pedals out from in front of the amp to trouble shoot it.While it sounds like the amp you just never know with all the other stuff in line with the signal .
That being said it could be a number of things . It sounds like a cold solder joint . I had the same thing happen to me . Same exact symptoms, but i would start with the pre amp tubes cause they are always the easiest thing to trouble shoot.You don't need a tech to trouble shoot pre amp tubes . get one replacement and swap out one tube at the time . Its rare for more than one Pre to go at a time. If the amp starts working properly then you found the bad tube . If that doesn't work take it to someone to look at.
good luck

I didn't read the whole post . If it doesn't do it without the pedals I would say that eliminates the amp as the problem .

Do you have another amp you could plug the same signal chain into and see if the problem is still there? What is the A/B switch for and what else is it connected to?

Back