Under 5w tube/valve desktop recording head?

jdel77

I'm looking for a well made tube desktop head that I can use to go:
Guitar > desktop amp head > Two Notes Captor (using the speaker cab emulator) > RME Babyface > iMAC with Logic X.

I want to use this for both demos and for recording, along with my other amps either direct or miked.

What's out there, tube/valve, preferably UK, USA, AUS made, absolutely no more than 5watts?
Going for a classic to modern rock/prog/alternative metal vibe.

So far I can only think of the 1watt UK made Marshall heads.
Anything else obvious that I'm missing?

I'll vouch for the Fryette GP/DI. It sounds great and is a swiss army knife of sorts. Run is as a preamp into a power amp, run it direct and use Wall of Sound or some other DAW IR loader, or use it direct with its own analog speaker simulation (which, IMO, sounds really good and is very flexible).

It's a great piece of gear.

I used to have a Randall RD5 and now I have an RD1.

For some reason, the RD1 is noticeably darker. Both sound great, but the RD1 is a lot more bedroom-friendly. Both sound great through a good cab. I bet they'd sound great through the Captor too.

If you're only going to recording direct, you can look into tube preamps as well. Like the Engl E530 or Mesa Triaxis.

godgrinder":1deyg1xq said:
If you're only going to recording direct, you can look into tube preamps as well. Like the Engl E530 or Mesa Triaxis.

Good point!
Might look at this.

Not long ago I was in your shoes, if Synergy amps were out a few years ago, I think I would have went that route. If you are not familiar with Synergy i'd check it out cause it sounds like a good fit for what you need. I believe Fryette makes the power sections of synergy amps also.

http://synergyamps.com/

7NGRiC3.gif

Mesa studio preamp / quad. Had the latter and it fucking kicks maximum ass...I sold it to get a mark 3 blue stripe which I use with my torpedo CAB and isolation cab. The tone is incredible...

Back