Best distortion pedal?

mchn13

Starting a new project with a friend, and going to use a modded 50 watt plexi reissue (has a mv and a bassman tranny), as a pedal platform. Sounds killer with the pre almost maxed and hit with a tubescreamer, but kinda kills the clean I can get with it. Would like to get a dirt pedal that doesn’t sound fizzy, but capable of more modern levels of gain if possible. Been looking at the jhs @ Andy Timmons pedal and the wampler pinnacle. Also tried the wampler triple wreck a couple years back and didn’t hate it.
Any luck on using pedals y’all?

Also tried a suhr riot that was pretty sick. Did not get along with the be-od. (Really needs a mid knob).

mchn13":27zby750 said:
Also tried a suhr riot that was pretty sick.

This probably answers your question.

Very subjective question that you have asked. But, if you liked the Riot, it is a good choice to start.

fek":2mmtd9uc said:
mchn13":2mmtd9uc said:
Also tried a suhr riot that was pretty sick.

This probably answers your question.

Very subjective question that you have asked. But, if you liked the Riot, it is a good choice to start.

You’re right. I didn’t actually give a description at all lol. Kinda like tool meets corrosion of conformity, Pink Floyd/sabbath. Trippy atmospheric meets big grindy riffs. I did try the suhr and the wampler but on others rigs. I’ve never used anything but boosts in front of my marshAlls. The whole pedal platform really escapes me but makes sense for what I’m going for right now, and I like the clean I get out of the Marshall.

I like the BB+ with mine. I run the amp with a touch of dirt, like AC/DC. You have to fight it a bit, but when the pedal hits it, tight raging. You then have the other side if you want even more for solos. It doesn't color the tone which is cool.

shredhead7":2nwgvn3b said:
I like the BB+ with mine. I run the amp with a touch of dirt, like AC/DC. You have to fight it a bit, but when the pedal hits it, tight raging. You then have the other side if you want even more for solos. It doesn't color the tone which is cool.

Heard. Having the extra for solos is a plus. Will look up the bb.

Robert Keeley El Rey Dorado it Absolutely kills for plexi distortion. smokes my Surh Riot reloaded.
I sold my BE-OD about 2 weeks after I got it, when they first came out. One of the best, if not the best, I have ever heard IMO.

El-Rey-Dorado-Front-1000x1000.jpg

Nitrobattery":1c9fll44 said:
The new Friedman DP-OD will be out this year, and it has a mid knob. The Suhr Eclipse looks pretty awesome too.
It also has a Low Gain channel and both channels have the adjustable internal knob. The Buxom Boost is pretty sick. Also the Maxon 808X is rad.

Marshall Law":3gz7dbay said:
Robert Keeley El Rey Dorado it Absolutely kills for plexi distortion. smokes my Surh Riot reloaded.
I sold my BE-OD about 2 weeks after I got it, when they first came out. One of the best, if not the best, I have ever heard IMO.

You're killin' me dude!!! :rock:

When I met up with Rob last year, he had brought me one of his "D&M" pedals. I love that pedal!! Has distortion and overdrive and just a great tone to it. I can't wait to get his El Rey Dorado soon!

I have a BE-OD pedal too and that is a great one as well.

So for the last year or so I have been slowly building my board to use with a clean pedal platform amp. I have gone through a few distortion pedals and the AMT R2 is the one. It really is pretty awesome and versatile. I run the gain knob low, like 10 O’clock, and boost it if I need more.

Back