Pick a rig...Adam Jones or Jerry Cantrell?

Which rig?

• Adam

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Jerry

Votes: 40 67.8%

• Total voters

vchizzle

My 2 favorite guitarists in terms of tones and overall music.
Whose rig would you pick and why? You can play your own guitars if you like, or theirs.

What era? I like Jerry’s tone a lot more overall but I’d have a tough time deciding between the Diezel/Marshall combo and the various amp combinations Jerry has used. .Saw him live in ‘09 with a Marsha and Shiva and it was some of the best live guitar tone I’ve ever heard.

glassjaw7":3cvtyxdc said:
What era? like Jerry’s tone a lot more overall but I’d have a tough time deciding between the Diezel/Marshall combo and the various amp combinations Jerry has used. .Saw him live in ‘09 with a Marshal and Shiva and it was some of the best live guitar tone I’ve ever heard.
I was initially thinking their current rigs. I'm afraid if I say any era, the snorkeler will just run away with it.

I'll post a pic but I literally have both rigs, I am just waiting on my all original 84 white maple bodied Rampage to come back from Richard Beck (Cantrell's tech who recessed his Kahler and put a Floyd nut on it) for the exact same work. Should be back next week.

I mean I have it down to a T, an original Snorkler mod by Reinhold on a JCM800 but unlike Mr. C's original Snorkler mine is loaded with all the options from boost to effects loop. I also have an original Fish with the Cantrell mod, probably the cleanest example in existence today. Intelliverb which is the delay and chorus you hear on Jar of Flies. I also have the MosValve500 and the rare 4x12 greenbacks and 4x12 vintage from the early 90's in stereo like Cantrell used in the 90's. Honestly I don't consider his Friedman stuff when it comes to his "tone" so I don't have any of that. No offense to Friedman it's just not my thing. He's a cool dude with a great amp business.

Jones Tonez? :LOL: :LOL:

I got that as well an original 95 blueface VH4 and a Marshall Superbass but mine has been hot rodded by Reinhold and Mark C. to have every gain option available so I don't have to crank it to get that mid gain that Adam gets but he really has to crank it. I do have to say my VH4 by itself just sounds 90's, it's awesome to me but Mark C doesn't really like it, he's just not that into 90's music like me. :LOL: :LOL:

I also have an original 81 Silverburst that I Adam Jonez modded, JB in the bridge, Allesandro pots, etc... This was the lightest example I found after going through about 10 different 78-82 silverbursts, also in amazing condition but try finding one under 10 pounds, mine barely weighs 9.

It's what I call my tone library and I love it. I will post some pics for you guys tomorrow or this weekend when I have a chance. :rock:

When it comes down to what I would choose one over the other is it depends on what I am in the mood for. Some days the Adam rig is where it's at sometimes it's the Cantrell rig.

I'm actually making a Deftones White Pony rig right now, last thing I need is a Marshall 9200 which I am in the process of getting now...

Edited to add if you are asking current rigs its Adam Jones all the way, no brainer.

Here is an old pic you can see some key components of both rigs minus Rampage of course:

I3dbd49l.jpg

EXPcustom":17i0d75q said:
I'll post a pic but I literally have both rigs, I am just waiting on my all original 84 white maple bodied Rampage to come back from Richard Beck (Cantrell's tech who recessed his Kahler and put a Floyd nut on it) for the exact same work. Should be back next week.

I mean I have it down to a T, an original Snorkler mod by Reinhold on a JCM800 but unlike Mr. C's original Snorkler mine is loaded with all the options from boost to effects loop. I also have an original Fish with the Cantrell mod, probably the cleanest example in existence today. Intelliverb which is the delay and chorus you hear on Jar of Flies. I also have the MosValve500 and the rare 4x12 greenbacks and 4x12 vintage from the early 90's in stereo like Cantrell used in the 90's. Honestly I don't consider his Friedman stuff when it comes to his "tone" so I don't have any of that. No offense to Friedman it's just not my thing. He's a cool dude with a great amp business.

I got that as well an original 95 blueface VH4 and a Marshall Superbass but mine has been hot rodded by Reinhold and Mark C. to have every gain option available so I don't have to crank it to get that mid gain that Adam gets but he really has to crank it. I do have to say my VH4 by itself just sounds 90's, it's awesome to me but Mark C doesn't really like it, he's just not that into 90's music like me. :LOL: :LOL:

I also have an original 81 Silverburst that I Adam Jonez modded, JB in the bridge, Allesandro pots, etc... This was the lightest example I found after going through about 10 different 78-82 silverbursts, also in amazing condition but try finding one under 10 pounds, mine barely weighs 9.

It's what I call my tone library and I love it. I will post some pics for you guys tomorrow or this weekend when I have a chance. :rock:

When it comes down to what I would choose one over the other is it depends on what I am in the mood for. Some days the Adam rig is where it's at sometimes it's the Cantrell rig.

I'm actually making a Deftones White Pony rig right now, last thing I need is a Marshall 9200 which I am in the process of getting now...

Edited to add if you are asking current rigs its Adam Jones all the way, no brainer.

Here is an old pic you can see some key components of both rigs minus Rampage of course:

I3dbd49l.jpg

Holy sh*t, that's quite the collection :shocked: :worship:

As for which I'd pick, Jones for me, as Lateralus is still one of my top tone bibles...although Jerry's rig is right up there too!

Adam easy. I've seen both play countless times.
I also strongly believe tone is in the hands. I've played on a few of Jerry's rigs and I don't sound anything like him.

I rather use Jason's rigs than Adam or Jerry. For the obvious reasons.

I prefer Cantrell as a guitarist, though Adam Jones also is great.

But Jones’s rig is nuts. That Superbass sounds awesome by itself. Love the early Recto tones as well. And of course the VH4. That’d be what I’d want for sure.

EXPcustom":3jt5x3yt said:

I3dbd49l.jpg
Need a roommate? :LOL: :LOL:
I love pretty much all Jerry’s tones. His newer Friedman tones are probably more my style but they’re all great.

I just went to one of the Tool music clinics. Sat about 8 feet from Jones. Slightly to the left of his rig. His Marshall was not on because it’s too loud for the small venues they’re playing. Both VH4’s were running at a slightly lower volume according to his tech, Tim. He played the non mirror silver burst the whole time. Tim passed it thru our row and I got to play it unplugged for a few seconds. It was pretty cool. Adam was unfortunately sick so I didn’t get to talk with him.

I've basically had Adam's rig as well, + two or three Silverbursts. Between the two guitarists, I'd choose his. My favorite Tool tone is from the Undertow album when Jones was using just the Marshall. And I do prefer the Marshall/Rectifier combo from Aenima more than the Diezel pairing from the later albums.

Don't actively listen to Cantrell, but overall I like Jones tone the best.

Lateralus and Aenima were my favorite albums, because of complexity, but now, looking at just the tone,
I prefer the Undertow album, and just his Marshall, JC Dobbs video made me believe that slightly modified Marshall JMP is all you need.
Like the midrange, aggressiveness, raw, and growly sound of his Marshall the most. :)

Also noticed that he is using slanted 4x12 with his Marshall which brings even more midrange.

marcus262":2qxsxj3l said:
Don't actively listen to Cantrell, but overall I like Jones tone the best.

Lateralus and Aenima were my favorite albums, because of complexity, but now, looking at just the tone,
I prefer the Undertow album, and just his Marshall, JC Dobbs video made me believe that slightly modified Marshall JMP is all you need.
Like the midrange, aggressiveness, raw, and growly sound of his Marshall the most. :)

Also noticed that he is using slanted 4x12 with his Marshall which brings even more midrange.

Yep, and his Marshall isn't really "modified." Well it is, but it's not hot-rodded. Just a bass head converted to lead spec, if you believe what Friedman said since he's worked on it.

yes, I also read what Friedman said:
0.68uf presence, V2 0.68uf, 0.022uf bright channel cap and 100k 4 ohm tap.
Biased cold.

Back