BE100 - Old vs. New Chokes - How important soundwise?

QOTSA_Lover

Hey :)

I recently updated my 2014 BE100 to the current specs.
Now I am wondering how important the choke is?!?

I have the old Mercury choke and as far as I know dave uses a Classic Tone on the current models.
Is this a really importand upgrade or is everything fine with the old one?

Thanks and all the best
Thomas

It's important that your amp has a choke vs. a resistor.
Mercury / ClassicTone / 3 Henry / 7 Henry whatever.....
I wouldn't worry about it. It's part of the power supply. No audio passes through it.
You're good to go...

fusedbrain":1y9mxqvg said:
I wouldn't worry about it. It's part of the power supply. No audio passes through it.
You're good to go...

We'll, this is a common misconception (Or perhaps some people are just not able to tell the difference)

From my experience, just about everything makes a difference. Power Supply components do affect the sound, and feel, even though no signal passes through.

Understand the amplified audio that you hear is made out of, or reconstructed with what comes from the power supply. The power supply reacts to the audio waveform/load differently with components of different values and construction, which intern alters the amplified waveform.

QOTSA_Lover":21liy6lg said:
Hey :)

I recently updated my 2014 BE100 to the current specs.
Now I am wondering how important the choke is?!?

Can be pretty important.

I've used a few of those MM JT45C-7H chokes on BE type builds, and when used with the Heyboer c1998 replica OT's It's sounds correct based on the real BE100's I've played.

But I really don't know for sure how they compare to the custom classictone chokes hes using now. I would assume he had them made to the same spec.
However I think equinox said he measured the new ones, and they came out at 3.5H, so yeah, I dunno?

Maybe Dave will chime in.

CrazyNutz":2bddt64e said:
fusedbrain":2bddt64e said:
You're good to go...

We'll, this is a common misconception (Or perhaps some people are just not able to tell the difference)

From my experience, just about everything makes a difference. Power Supply components do affect the sound, and feel, even though no signal passes through.

Understand the amplified audio that you hear is made out of, or reconstructed with what comes from the power supply. The power supply reacts to the audio waveform/load differently with components of different values and construction, which intern alters the amplified waveform.
Yeah I agree with this. Well said. :thumbsup:
My "no audio passes through it" comment was stupid, in hindsight. :doh: :doh: :doh:
I didn't mean to minimise the effect of the power supply in the overall tone and feel of an amp.

I was intending to reply to this part of his post "Is this a really important upgrade, or is everything fine with the old one?"
So what I was meaning to say is that, in this case, I wouldn't worry about what choke is in his 2014 amp, and I don't think he would hear much of a difference if he swapped it out for whatever choke Dave is using now.
All the other changes from 2014 to the current spec would have way more effect on the sound and feel of his amp. The NFB change and the Synergy caps are the biggies.
To send an amp back to Dave to swap out the choke just seems like a waste of time and money to me.

fusedbrain":zq9yapqq said:
To send an amp back to Dave to swap out the choke just seems like a waste of time and money to me.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I agree. I would say the new choke is probably specd real close to the mercury magnetics 7H choke he used on older models.
Unless Dave comments on this otherwise.

The new choke is a 3 henery choke. Surprisingly I found the newer chocke to be not that much different. What I did find was the new choke was more consistent then the mercury..I found differences and issues with many of the Mercury’s and they also kept increasing the price for a small little choke.. switched.

RACKSYSTEMS":39xgf2aw said:
The new choke is a 3 henery choke. Surprisingly I found the newer chocke to be not that much different.

Interesting I tried a Metro c1999 3h choke, vs the MM 7h, and it sounded/felt pretty different. c1999 being more aggressive, and stiffer.

Guess I need to try out a classictone 3h now :)

Back