Best distortion pedal?

stephen sawall":5ooasvit said:
https://youtu.be/7kxULnRUDNE

He does some guitar volume stuff on this one.... There is about a dozen videos.

That is crazy. Does not sound like a pedal to me. I picked up an amt drive pedal cheap for now, and already have a rat2 that someone mentioned above. Using pedals for your main distortion is new to me. Even the rat I used as a dirty overdrive. That revv is really impressive.

Rat...I love mine. It was my favorite pedal in the 80's.

A other personal favorite of mine is the Zvex Distortron. By itself or after other overdrive, distortion or fuzz. I'm not into stacking pedals but this one just works for me. My favorite Marshall in a box.

Anyway I think Revv might be on to something. That or people are getting much better at doing clips.

I want to hear it with my Deliverance 120 and 4x12.
I don't usually buy gear without trying it first.... But pretty sure I'm picking one up. The Revv amps look very interesting also.

From the videos it look like it is at home with a clean or distorted amp. From what I read they spent a lot of time making sure the feel is right. I watch several of the videos last night and like these two.

https://youtu.be/uWZXCnoLXVM

https://youtu.be/4_ZSNt64kgU

Rockbox Boiling Point "The handmade one with swirl". The only overdrive pedal that has stayed on my pedalboard along with a BOSS SD-1. Sold all my other overdrives...about 30 of them over the years. Think I’ll get the Suhr Eclipse and the Friedman Dirty Shirley pedal again just for variation though.

Sleeper alert!! Barber Direct Drive Compact. Sounds REALLY, really good. More importantly, it FEELS great. Also highly tweakable.

reverymike":1lshb96r said:
Sleeper alert!! Barber Direct Drive Compact. Sounds REALLY, really good. More importantly, it FEELS great. Also highly tweakable.

Another Sleeper is the Barber Dirty Bomb, for more of a Mesa flavor. Hard to go wrong with Barber pedals, they are very nice.

Ive only tried a few but from my experience pre amp pedals in the loop is better than distortion in front. Not sure if you have a loop.

I'm going to come in with an oddball suggestion but I picked up a Thorpyfx 'The Dane' about three months ago and it's my go to pedal, I'm currently preferring it to my Carol Ann's dirty channels and they're pretty epic.

I've been using the Bogner Red since it came out in 2013 (?). Tried many since then, some great but through the right amp set completely clean, the Bogner kills and sounds/feels more like an amp than most others. The mini versions should be out very soon.

Also, I second reverymike's Barber recommendation. I have a Direct Drive. Really more of a beefed up TS/overdrive type pedal but it's great. Very natural and can get up to medium gain levels.

This question comes up a lot and has probably been answered a million times but with every year there are always new pedals coming on the market so I always participate.

So to start, what volume are you running at? I know what you mean when you say a TS doesn't get you what you want BUT if you run that master up (attenuate, PPIMV, in a cab in a closet) you bet your ass it will do what it is supposed to do.

Now assuming you are running bedroom volume to annoying wife/kids volume, the SD-1 is tried tested and true. Depending what pups you use, anything in the vein of the old DOD grey boxes can do the trick too. Then you have all the "improved" or SD-1 and TS based pedals. Some have more drive (Cusak screamer for example) and those are great.

Ultimately there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread. The most flexible is stacked OD's. I usually run a SD-1 or TS type as rythm and then kick in my koKo boost for the sustain lead tone. Again though, this is bedroom. Opened up, you don't need to stack. (or at least I don't) As such, a cool choice would probably be a double OD of some type like the BB or just buy a spark booster for cheap and stick that after (volume bump) or before your OD (gain) for your lead tone or brutz.

Suhr Eclipse looks awesome but I think it was intended to be stand alone and not an OD. That said, your ears will decide what works as an OD and what doesn't.. not a pamphlet.

I have owned just about every dirt pedal made, including most boutique ones. Seriously - more than 75 distortion pedals over the past 10 years. The Amptweaker line has knocked almost everything else off my board, including by BE-OD (and that is saying something). From your description of your needs, the BigRock Pro pedal will be perfect. Unlike many other dirt pedals, the Amptweaker pedals sound amazing along the entire sweep of their distortion range

I've got the TightRock, TightMetal, and BigRock, and they are amazingly amp-like. Plus, they have tons of tonal settings on them that let you dial them in perfectly for your amp and guitar.

I have no affiliation with the company or its products, other than being a happy customer.

Back