Pick a rig...Adam Jones or Jerry Cantrell?

Which rig?

• Adam

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Jerry

Votes: 40 67.8%

• Total voters
FourT6and2":1rngmk37 said:
I've basically had Adam's rig as well, + two or three Silverbursts. Between the two guitarists, I'd choose his. My favorite Tool tone is from the Undertow album when Jones was using just the Marshall. And I do prefer the Marshall/Rectifier combo from Aenima more than the Diezel pairing from the later albums.

I saw them sometime in the 90’s when he had just the Marshall and Rectifier. It sounded ridiculous good. I’m not knocking the Diezel, but there was nothing to improve on that Mesa/Marshall combo. It was perfect.

psychodave":obadsuah said:
No enough selections... haha

Oh right, this is Rig-Talk. We should add someone who wore skintight neon lycra and stuffed their pants with a rolled up tube sock. :LOL: :LOL:

Adam Jones rig from the Opiate / undertow era,
Dunno if he was using Diezel amps back then.

^ the thought, I believe, is that those two were just the Marshall. The Recto seems to have been around for Aenima, and I remember thinking there’s debate over whether the VH4 was around for Aenima or showed up only after it was recorded.

cardinal":i1fqa4gi said:
^ the thought, I believe, is that those two were just the Marshall. The Recto seems to have been around for Aenima, and I remember thinking there’s debate over whether the VH4 was around for Aenima or showed up only after it was recorded.

There's no debate. Opiate/Undertow = Marshall. Aenima (album) = Marshall/Rectifier. But then during one of the live tours for Aenima, he brought in the Diezel at some point and phased out the Rectifier. He said his bandmates preferred the Diezel in the mix. Everything after that has been VH4/Marshall live. On albums, he's used a lot of different amps in conjunction with the VH4/Marshall, including an Uberschall, Rivera K-Tre/Knucklehead, and probably a few others.

Wow. Kinda hard to make that choice. Both have such fantastic tone. I guess in the end though I would have to pick Jerry since my own tone is already so similar.

FourT6and2":1syhvz84 said:
cardinal":1syhvz84 said:

There's no debate. Opiate/Undertow = Marshall. Aenima (album) = Marshall/Rectifier. But then during one of the live tours for Aenima, he brought in the Diezel at some point and phased out the Rectifier. He said his bandmates preferred the Diezel in the mix. Everything after that has been VH4/Marshall live. On albums, he's used a lot of different amps in conjunction with the VH4/Marshall, including an Uberschall, Rivera K-Tre/Knucklehead, and probably a few others.

Even though Adam played only Marshall live during those early years, on Undertow album there was also a Rectifier according to Sylvia Massy.

FourT6and2":2m13cytk said:
psychodave":2m13cytk said:
No enough selections... haha

Oh right, this is Rig-Talk. We should add someone who wore skintight neon lycra and stuffed their pants with a rolled up tube sock. :LOL: :LOL:

Or tight jeans with a sock. Haha

Seriously, I like both bands, but never enough to focus on their guitar tones. If I had to choose, I guess it would be Adam Jones.

The thing I like about Adam’s tone after he added the VH4 is that his staccato type riffs tightened up. That helps a lot on songs like Jambi. His right hand picking is super tight and accurate. It wouldn’t be the same without that amp. It’s a tough call for me as to which rig I’d rather have.

marcus262":1mlcz2ph said:
FourT6and2":1mlcz2ph said:
cardinal":1mlcz2ph said:

Even though Adam played only Marshall live during those early years, on Undertow album there was also a Rectifier according to Sylvia Massy.

First I've heard that. Either way, that JC Dobbs live recording is my favorite tone of his and it's all Marshall.

SFW":2xfytgcr said:
Jerry all day long. Any era.

While I appreciate the Adams Jones tone my vote has to go to Mr. Cantrell, his tone out shines Adams collectively speaking from Mogner Snorkler, Fish, Shiva to the Friedman era.

I remember seeing them on David Lettermen in the early 90's with either JCM800 or JCM900's and Jerry's tone was awesome, his live tone in the early 90's was excellent if you watch concert vids from that era. Not exactly sure what he was using in 1990-1992 era live but it sounded great.

cardinal":l186i99v said:
I don’t think Cantrell ever used the Snorkler live because it wasn’t his amp.
Yup, that thread long ago where Mr C(Ronnie Champagne?) chimed in, he was the producer of facelift? He was the owner of the Snorkler, which was a Bogner modded JCM 800 4010 combo converted to a head. He wouldn't sell it to Jerry or anyone else for that matter.
Cool thread, here's an excerpt.....
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74343

FourT6and2":1fxisr3m said:
cardinal":1fxisr3m said:

I have to say that the tone one 'The Pot' is amazing....and it's a mix of those amps you mentioned and more.

FourT6and2":2n5chamy said:
I've basically had Adam's rig as well, + two or three Silverbursts.

Just from experience of having owned a bunch of VH4s, the original blueface is nothing like the silverface VH4s. This is why Tool's management put out a notice on the Tool blog looking for an original blueface. Funny thing was they used a picture of the one I own. :LOL: :LOL:

Back