Pick a rig...Adam Jones or Jerry Cantrell?

Which rig?

• Adam

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Jerry

Votes: 40 67.8%

• Total voters
marcus262":1b0hfity said:
FourT6and2":1b0hfity said:
cardinal":1b0hfity said:
^ the thought, I believe, is that those two were just the Marshall. The Recto seems to have been around for Aenima, and I remember thinking there’s debate over whether the VH4 was around for Aenima or showed up only after it was recorded.

There's no debate. Opiate/Undertow = Marshall. Aenima (album) = Marshall/Rectifier. But then during one of the live tours for Aenima, he brought in the Diezel at some point and phased out the Rectifier. He said his bandmates preferred the Diezel in the mix. Everything after that has been VH4/Marshall live. On albums, he's used a lot of different amps in conjunction with the VH4/Marshall, including an Uberschall, Rivera K-Tre/Knucklehead, and probably a few others.

Even though Adam played only Marshall live during those early years, on Undertow album there was also a Rectifier according to Sylvia Massy.

He had a Rectifier in 1994 live you can see it here and here:

vchizzle":34lhc950 said:
Need a roommate? :LOL: :LOL:
I love pretty much all Jerry’s tones. His newer Friedman tones are probably more my style but they’re all great.

All my roommates are required to tech for me so if I come home drunk at 2 a.m. and start playing to impress some chicks I brought back to the house and am too smashed to play good and pound on your door demanding that you fix the clean channel because it's "too pitchy, dawg." you have to play along. :thumbsup:

Racerxrated":kxphezyy said:
FourT6and2":kxphezyy said:
cardinal":kxphezyy said:
^ the thought, I believe, is that those two were just the Marshall. The Recto seems to have been around for Aenima, and I remember thinking there’s debate over whether the VH4 was around for Aenima or showed up only after it was recorded.

There's no debate. Opiate/Undertow = Marshall. Aenima (album) = Marshall/Rectifier. But then during one of the live tours for Aenima, he brought in the Diezel at some point and phased out the Rectifier. He said his bandmates preferred the Diezel in the mix. Everything after that has been VH4/Marshall live. On albums, he's used a lot of different amps in conjunction with the VH4/Marshall, including an Uberschall, Rivera K-Tre/Knucklehead, and probably a few others.
I have to say that the tone one 'The Pot' is amazing....and it's a mix of those amps you mentioned and more.
They both have top tier tones with legendary amps but that song is probably why I chose Adam's rig.

I had an old Blueface VH4 for a bit, and I thought it by itself nailed The Pot sound IMHO. I know he blends all kinds of amps on the records, but I thought that one sounded predominantly VH4.

cardinal":2wt93o4w said:
I had an old Blueface VH4 for a bit, and I thought it by itself nailed The Pot sound IMHO. I know he blends all kinds of amps on the records, but I thought that one sounded predominantly VH4.
Agreed. When I saw him with just both VH4’s this week, it sounded very much like that tone. The more modern Jones tone. It sounded great. I would’ve loved to hear the Marshall mixed in though.

SpiderWars":ehaqvqrj said:
stephen sawall":ehaqvqrj said:
Looks like Jerry is getting ahead in the poll.
I wonder who could've beaten Jerry? vchizzle picked two giants for sure.
I think since Jerry has a more distinct lead tone, it’d be tough for Adam to win the poll here. I love both tones and styles of each of these guys.

psychodave":2m7crzdn said:
FourT6and2":2m7crzdn said:
psychodave":2m7crzdn said:
No enough selections... haha

Oh right, this is Rig-Talk. We should add someone who wore skintight neon lycra and stuffed their pants with a rolled up tube sock. :LOL: :LOL:

Or tight jeans with a sock. Haha

Seriously, I like both bands, but never enough to focus on their guitar tones. If I had to choose, I guess it would be Adam Jones.

This really surprises me. Knowing your style, at least from my earlier days on RT I would think you'd prefer Jerry's Facelift tone.

I thought about this a bit more and for me, Jerry's tone is like the second coming of VH if there ever was such a thing. It's coming from that place but different enough to stand out. It was chased by TONS of players over decades but in a much less obvious way than Eddie's was and still is.

Another thought, Jerry's sound could probably work well in most modern rock/metal situations while Adam's is more specific to that Tool sound which is part of what makes Adam's sound so special.

Gear-wise it's almost even for me but I think Jerry gets the "better" recorded tones.

SpiderWars":1gbqwzz0 said:
stephen sawall":1gbqwzz0 said:
Looks like Jerry is getting ahead in the poll.
I wonder who could've beaten Jerry? vchizzle picked two giants for sure.

On this forum George Lynch poll numbers would no doubt suggest Cantrell was a one thumbed ukulele player in a polka band.

I picked Adam just because I’m a rhythm guy and was thinking that way, but damn if this wouldn’t be sick to have have them both. Huge fan of both of them and it was hard to choose.

No skin in this game, but a couple of things...

As stated above, "Undertow" was the Marshall Super Lead and a Mesa Dual Rectifier, not the Marshall only as is typically stated.

I had an original Bogner modded "Snorkler" Marshall, one of the first ones that Bogner did for an associate (aka, the actual "Snorkler" mod directly onto the amp, not the later version with the blue circuit board added). Thought it would be a "Grail" amp, but I wasn't too impressed honestly. Sold it, buyer loved it, win-win for everyone. The "Facelift" rhythm tone I enjoy is mostly Tube Driver into a Fender anyway.

Back