Gonna join the Wizard club..again....MC1 incoming....

ChurchHill":sd0xkhgf said:
Happy New Amp Day in Advance!!

Definitely gonna be a Wizard in my future at some point... still narrowing it down to the MCI or MCII. Very much looking forward to your thoughts on both. Congrats!!
From what I understand, the lead channel is the same on both amps, with the MCII having a gain knob available for the rhythm channel while the MCI does not. The MCII has a contour knob as well. No difference in the gain available on the lead channel. So the MCI has a clean channel with the lead channel, and the MCII has the ability to get a dirty rhythm/clean with the lead.
Mine has a bright switch on the back for the lead channel, apparently the older MCs had a big difference with both channels EQ, the clean channel was much brighter. So the lead bright balances it out. This one has been updated to the quiet switching too.
Now I sit by the front door and wait....
:doh:

YES!!!

But, I have to work so I've only played it for a few minutes...It is the Wizard for me, for sure. The mids are Marshall all the way, and it has plenty of gain. Like a boosted 800. Perfect. But with a LOT of tight low end, like the MTL I had. The MTL has the Saturation knob which takes it to another level but really, not that much more than this MCI...which is a pleasant surprise. Gonna tube roll and give it a good run through on my break later.
:rock:

Racerxrated":1f6zmuw6 said:
YES!!!

But, I have to work so I've only played it for a few minutes...It is the Wizard for me, for sure. The mids are Marshall all the way, and it has plenty of gain. Like a boosted 800. Perfect. But with a LOT of tight low end, like the MTL I had. The MTL has the Saturation knob which takes it to another level but really, not that much more than this MCI...which is a pleasant surprise. Gonna tube roll and give it a good run through on my break later.

Yes :rock: I'm glad your saying that it's got a lot of tight low end like the MTL :D

My MC2 was delivered shortly after I left for work this morning, and now all I can do is suffer through the day until 5:30 pm :doh:

ENJOY IT :rock: :rock: :rock:

OK, I'm not a doctor and I haven't played one in years, however... I think you BOTH are EXTREMELY SICK and NEED to IMMEDIATELY stop working and QUARANTINE yourselves in your practice space!!

:shocked: :yes:

So jealous at the moment... :LOL: :LOL:

Congratulations to you both!!

ChurchHill":1bay5lyb said:
OK, I'm not a doctor and I haven't played one in years, however... I think you BOTH are EXTREMELY SICK and NEED to IMMEDIATELY stop working and QUARANTINE yourselves in your practice space!!

:shocked: :yes:

So jealous at the moment... :LOL: :LOL:

Congratulations to you both!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks!

So here are my thoughts so far...

Much more my speed than the MTL, which is what I suspected. Really, it has almost as much gain as the MTL from my memory...but it's been awhile. I don't see the need for any more...but i did boost it and it does take my boost pedals better than the MTL did. My EQ settings are: Presence 7.5, Bass 6, Mids 4, Treble 4. I dial my high end in with the Presence first. My cab is a 76 1960a with original RIC cone GBs. I pulled the JJ 34s and put in some Siemens, biased them between 30-34 ma. The best pre combo I've found is a Vintage Mullard in V1, Chinese 6n4s in V2-V3 and a Tungsram in V4. The mids are mostly Marshall but still just a bit different. Close though. With the gain maxed it sounds like a 2203 on steroids with a pedal in front. I didn't push it too hard for fear of frying my original GB cab lol...gonna try it through V30 and 65 cabs tomorrow.
Not many, if any amps have the clarity and open sound of this amp, maybe a great Marshall or two...maybe.
Love it so far!

Racerxrated":39v4hnoh said:

Much more my speed than the MTL, which is what I suspected. Really, it has almost as much gain as the MTL from my memory...but it's been awhile. I don't see the need for any more...but i did boost it and it does take my boost pedals better than the MTL did. My EQ settings are: Presence 7.5, Bass 6, Mids 4, Treble 4. I dial my high end in with the Presence first. My cab is a 76 1960a with original RIC cone GBs. I pulled the JJ 34s and put in some Siemens, biased them between 30-34 ma. The best pre combo I've found is a Vintage Mullard in V1, Chinese 6n4s in V2-V3 and a Tungsram in V4. The mids are mostly Marshall but still just a bit different. Close though. With the gain maxed it sounds like a 2203 on steroids with a pedal in front. I didn't push it too hard for fear of frying my original GB cab lol...gonna try it through V30 and 65 cabs tomorrow.
Not many, if any amps have the clarity and open sound of this amp, maybe a great Marshall or two...maybe.
Love it so far!

Congrats!

+100 I agree with all of that. :yes:

Rick quotes the MC2 as having about 15% less gain than the MTL... but as you noticed the voicing is more classic Marshall... so it's really negliable overall when playing. And it does love a good boost/od pedal up front. I've been hitting mine with the Aldrich Majik Box Rocket Fuel and it sounds great. It is a bit different than an original 2203 and pedal... bigger, thicker, more massive. Killer amp for the modified Marshall 2203 we all know and love.

I've got some NOS Siemens EL34s I've been wanting to try, but was worried about the higher PV in the MC2... over 500V, so I didn't want to waste the Siemens for nothing. But if they are holding up for you, I'll give them a try. Also have some 6N4s I'm going to throw in there too. Love them in my Mesa Marks, so I'm sure they sound great. Oddly enough the stock JJ preamp tubes Rick ships them with sound good in his amps. And I'm not a fan of JJ preamp tubes in general. V30s and or H75 Creambacks sound great too with this amp.

Amazing amp! :rock:

Wizard of Ozz":2ax4d3h9 said:
V30s and or H75 Creambacks sound great too with this amp.

I haven't tried with all v30s, but I really liked the Scumback J75 (top)/v30 (bottom) combo with the MTL and MC2. CBH75s are great too. Right now I have 4 alnico creams in the Wizard cab I use with the MC2 and Fane F70s in the Wizard cab I use with the MTL. Those speakers are awesome with the Wizards.

Wizard of Ozz":eluccj86 said:
Racerxrated":eluccj86 said:

Love it so far!

Congrats!

Rick quotes the MC2 as having about 15% less gain than the MTL... but as you noticed the voicing is more classic Marshall... so it's really negliable overall when playing. And it does love a good boost/od pedal up front. I've been hitting mine with the Aldrich Majik Box Rocket Fuel and it sounds great. It is a bit different than an original 2203 and pedal... bigger, thicker, more massive. Killer amp for the modified Marshall 2203 we all know and love.

I've got some NOS Siemens EL34s I've been wanting to try, but was worried about the higher PV in the MC2... over 500V, so I didn't want to waste the Siemens for nothing. But if they are holding up for you, I'll give them a try. Also have some 6N4s I'm going to throw in there too. Love them in my Mesa Marks, so I'm sure they sound great. Oddly enough the stock JJ preamp tubes Rick ships them with sound good in his amps. And I'm not a fan of JJ preamp tubes in general. V30s and or H75 Creambacks sound great too with this amp.

Got some more time in today...dialed the gain back a bit, pushed in and WHAM! with the OD1X and it was FACE MELTING! Added just a bit of compression and there are the metal tones...I like this boosted MCI better than the MTL I had and really it's not close. The MTL is fantastic, no doubt...but it just didn't take a boost even close to as good as this amp. Just for a different flavor, for that little bit of added compression the MCI/II is the platform for that option. So far the Siemens are holding up well. Might order some KT77s for a changeup. The MCI is raw and pissed off with the gain on 10, pulled...it becomes a little more polite and smoother, but still raw with the gain on 7 and pushed in, OD1X on.
What a fun amp to play.

Racerxrated":1edu8nkc said:
Wizard of Ozz":1edu8nkc said:
Racerxrated":1edu8nkc said:

Love it so far!

Congrats!

Got some more time in today...dialed the gain back a bit, pushed in and WHAM! with the OD1X and it was FACE MELTING! Added just a bit of compression and there are the metal tones...I like this boosted MCI better than the MTL I had and really it's not close. The MTL is fantastic, no doubt...but it just didn't take a boost even close to as good as this amp. Just for a different flavor, for that little bit of added compression the MCI/II is the platform for that option. So far the Siemens are holding up well. Might order some KT77s for a changeup. The MCI is raw and pissed off with the gain on 10, pulled...it becomes a little more polite and smoother, but still raw with the gain on 7 and pushed in, OD1X on.
What a fun amp to play.

:rock: :rock: :rock: Dude, I'm right there with ya. I got another couple hours in with the new arrival tonight and so far I'm having a hard time believing not only what I'm hearing, but what I'm feeling when playing the MCII. The most immense guttural punch that causes mind boggling mass air movement. I don't know how this is even possible. It was punching so hard I was worried I was gonna melt the speakers in my EVH 412 and the volume was only a touch over 9 o' clock. Made a critical mistake tonight and A/B'd it against all my other amps back and forth one by one. They're all GREAT amps but............

Agree so much. The mc2 (and probably the mc1 as well) are so outstanding. Nothing feels like them. The longer you play it and get control of them the more you will love them.

Alex_S":1kjfipy4 said:
Agree so much. The mc2 (and probably the mc1 as well) are so outstanding. Nothing feels like them. The longer you play it and get control of them the more you will love them.
The MCI/II differences are pretty minor...the lead channel is the same. The Contour and gain on the rhythm channel are the additions on the MCII.

Racerxrated":3emaordo said:
Alex_S":3emaordo said:
The MCI/II differences are pretty minor...the lead channel is the same. The Contour and gain on the rhythm channel are the additions on the MCII.

That contour knob is an amazing tone sculpting feature. Seems like it adjusts lows, mids, highs, depth, grind, and punch all at the same time through that one knob. Crazy!

Well, finally got to turn it up past 2. I've never heard anything that good in my life. Ever.
What I just heard is the tone I've always wanted...and when I heard The Pretty Reckless why I knew I had to find that tone.
No, not very practical for the home player...but dammit I'm gonna find a way to push this type of volume every day, even if it's only 5 minutes...
What a rush.

SpiderWars":oba0w5fp said:
I'll bet it sounds glorious! Was that thru the '76 1960a?
Actually my 83 G12 65 cab. I'd have fried my 76 at that volume....played the 76 yesterday, sounded killer too.

ChurchHill":1y1bkr5k said:
Just curious... did you guys get the 100w or 50w versions?
^^^
I grabbed the 100W :rock:

Racerxrated":1y1bkr5k said:
Well, finally got to turn it up past 2. I've never heard anything that good in my life. Ever.
What I just heard is the tone I've always wanted...and when I heard The Pretty Reckless why I knew I had to find that tone.
No, not very practical for the home player...but dammit I'm gonna find a way to push this type of volume every day, even if it's only 5 minutes...
What a rush.

Insane isn't it! I had mine up between 2 1/2 & 3 last night, and I could not believe what I was hearing/feeling; addictive :rock: :rock: :rock: I'm jonesing big time but can't plug in with all this lightning rolling through :doh:

Back