The Wiz MTL does AC/DC ?

hopkinWFG

Dear Wizard fans out here... i am ready to save for a MTL but would like to know of the wizard MTL can do the plexi kinda old school AC/DC jailbreaker tone in spades ?

I know the Wizard is akin to ACDC... but am just curious if the MTL could actually churn out this kinda tone ?

And lastly... i been hearing rezamatrix MTL demo and not being a nasty guy here but i just find the MTL demo he did was abit too fizzy... no idea if you guys find that too ? I have no idea of its the EQ or the mic in thingy or least in reality does the demo speaks its true DNA ?... but am being thankful of rezamatrix to demo out this beast in the box...

hopkinWFG":2um1juqp said:
Dear Wizard fans out here... i am ready to save for a MTL but would like to know of the wizard MTL can do the plexi kinda old school AC/DC jailbreaker tone in spades ?

I know the Wizard is akin to ACDC... but am just curious if the MTL could actually churn out this kinda tone ?

And lastly... i been hearing rezamatrix MTL demo and not being a nasty guy here but i just find the MTL demo he did was abit too fizzy... no idea if you guys find that too ? I have no idea of its the EQ or the mic in thingy or least in reality does the demo speaks its true DNA ?... but am being thankful of rezamatrix to demo out this beast in the box...

Dude, Not to sound like a douche, but I would not judge ANY amp by clips....Period. Clips are fun to listen to, but that's where it should end.

I've not played an MTL, but I HIGHLY doubt it would be fizzy sounding in person.

MetalHeadMike":2wwnymyf said:
hopkinWFG":2wwnymyf said:

Dude, Not to sound like a douche, but I would not judge ANY amp by clips....Period. Clips are fun to listen to, but that's where it should end.

I've not played an MTL, but I HIGHLY doubt it would be fizzy sounding in person.

Haha not at all ! Thanks there i do think so too... but am hoping to get MTL owners point of view :)

I heard too the MTL has fair amount of unsable gain ? Being the fact that its super high gain... just hooe to clear some doubts here before i pouring serious lifetime savings in it hahah

There's quite a few MTL owners kicking around here; I'm sure some of them will chime in with good information. I just picked up an MCII, and there is nothing fizzy in it's tone. Not an MTL I know, but I don't think the two models are too far apart.

MetalHeadMike":2wzgcuor said:
There's quite a few MTL owners kicking around here; I'm sure some of them will chime in with good information. I just picked up an MCII, and there is nothing fizzy in it's tone. Not an MTL I know, but I don't think the two models are too far apart.

Cool... infact i am still thinking to getta MTL or MC2... can the MC2 do the ACDC crunch ? Like the signature open E chord thats spanky tight and pleasing to ears...

I don't play ACDC stuff, but I'd have to say it sure can :yes: It's got ridiculous amounts of tight spank, and it can be eq'd to be VERY pleasing to to the ears, or VERY rude and aggressive towards the ears. The bright and contour knobs allow for a huge range of tone tweaking to get it just how you like it.

MetalHeadMike":2bdbk6sp said:
I don't play ACDC stuff, but I'd have to say it sure can :yes: It's got ridiculous amounts of tight spank, and it can be eq'd to be VERY pleasing to to the ears, or VERY rude and aggressive towards the ears. The bright and contour knobs allow for a huge range of tone tweaking to get it just how you like it.

Cool ! Thanks for chiming in but would like to hear and discuss more about the Wizard MTL or MC2...

Habe you heard Reza latest MC2 that has KT88 on it ? Its like a 75watter and heard Reza is all over it haha...

So, I can tell you that if you are looking for old school AC/DC tones look no further than the MCI/II. I had a MTL, and now have an MCI with the C transformer. The MTL has a hollow spot to me where the Marshall mids should be....it had lots of lower mids but the Marshall mids just weren't there to my ears. All the gain is usable on the MTL, and it stays tight...but it also didn't like any boosts I tried, even after dialing the gain back. I sold the MTL in a month. Great amp but I needed better mids....
I just picked up a 2010 MCI from LP6 here on RT. It absolutely slays for the huge modded Marshall tone I love. Gigantic sounding amp with all the upper mids I need. That or the MCII, with the C transformer is the one you want if you want old school Marshall tones, and it has enough gain to get into 80s metal territory...dial the gain back, leave the boost pushed in and it takes pedals as good as any JCM 800.
:rock:

Racerxrated":1d4j3doc said:
So, I can tell you that if you are looking for old school AC/DC tones look no further than the MCI/II. I had a MTL, and now have an MCI with the C transformer. The MTL has a hollow spot to me where the Marshall mids should be....it had lots of lower mids but the Marshall mids just weren't there to my ears. All the gain is usable on the MTL, and it stays tight...but it also didn't like any boosts I tried, even after dialing the gain back. I sold the MTL in a month. Great amp but I needed better mids....
I just picked up a 2010 MCI from LP6 here on RT. It absolutely slays for the huge modded Marshall tone I love. Gigantic sounding amp with all the upper mids I need. That or the MCII, with the C transformer is the one you want if you want old school Marshall tones, and it has enough gain to get into 80s metal territory...dial the gain back, leave the boost pushed in and it takes pedals as good as any JCM 800.

Every thing you said is spot on and Angus himself played a Wizard MCI on stage for quite some time. Or some version of it and perhaps an MCII as well, I don't know but lespaul6 likely knows which wizards the young brothers used.
And besides that why on earth would you buy an amp called the wizard metal to get ACDC crunch :LOL: :LOL:

sjk":1suyd7ew said:
Racerxrated":1suyd7ew said:

Every thing you said is spot on and Angus himself played a Wizard MCI on stage for quite some time. Or some version of it and perhaps an MCII as well, I don't know but lespaul6 likely knows which wizards the young brothers used.
And besides that why on earth would you buy an amp called the wizard metal to get ACDC crunch :LOL: :LOL:
If Rick made the MTL with a way to add the same upper mid range as the MCI with the C Trans it might be the perfect amp. That way one could get all that MTL lower mid grind, and low end thump with the ability to dial it back and add some upper mids. That would be cool.
Guys who like modern tones best would like the MTL more than the MCI/II.

Racerxrated":38jzj719 said:

Cool... thanks racerxrated.... in anyway whats the diff between the MC2 with V or C transformer ? I am a metal player i like to play old school trash, Mercyful fate and sometimes to cannibal corpse.. i also hear ACDC in the past and at times i just like to play their tunes, i was merely thinking if the MC2 or a MTL would do good metal tones but also being able to dial in the ACDC crunch then it will serves me what i am looking at...

I hear some would like MC2 with the C transformer better than their new V transformer... is the V transformer being sounding more modern than the C being more of a classic 80s metal vibe to it ?

sjk":3uqeqz38 said:
Racerxrated":3uqeqz38 said:

Haha... is ok... cause am a metal guy but i also like to play ACDC riffs and have fun with... i caught up with a video on youtube and it was scott ian who plays and SG with the wizard and he did played some ACDC tone its just so right on the way it sound... the E and the jailbreaker tune...

Don’t have a lot of time for writing now, but what you described, get the MC2 not the MTL. Racer described it well. MTL is more modern and less Marshall sounding. MC2 is best Marshall tone and covers everything 70-90s, blues to Metal. Both are equally great and share a lot of things, but for AC/DC and also Mercyful Fate etc. get the MC2.

hopkinWFG":36fj0z71 said:
Racerxrated":36fj0z71 said:

Cool... thanks racerxrated.... in anyway whats the diff between the MC2 with V or C transformer ? I am a metal player i like to play old school trash, Mercyful fate and sometimes to cannibal corpse.. i also hear ACDC in the past and at times i just like to play their tunes, i was merely thinking if the MC2 or a MTL would do good metal tones but also being able to dial in the ACDC crunch then it will serves me what i am looking at...

I hear some would like MC2 with the C transformer better than their new V transformer... is the V transformer being sounding more modern than the C being more of a classic 80s metal vibe to it ?
Not sure about the transformers, other than the C being the most Marshall-like in the mids. If you look in this sub forum and scroll back, you can find more talk about the differences in the transformers.
I will also add that I just got done playing it, and by dropping the mids way back I can get a Mark IIC+ type scooped metal tone...not saying it sounds like a C+ but the EQ spectrum is damn close to a C+ with a V in the GEQ.
The EQ is very responsive....trust me. A scooped metal tone is no problem with the MCI/II.

hopkinWFG":2j23gmhc said:
sjk":2j23gmhc said:
Racerxrated":2j23gmhc said:

Haha... is ok... cause am a metal guy but i also like to play ACDC riffs and have fun with... i caught up with a video on youtube and it was scott ian who plays and SG with the wizard and he did played some ACDC tone its just so right on the way it sound... the E and the jailbreaker tune...

I get it, didn't realize you wanted the super heavies as well, can't speak to the mtl, but the MCI and II will do the heavy stuff for sure but for super modern heavies I suppose the mtl would be the ticket. The scott ian video is a LARGE part of the reason I succumbed to the wizard :LOL: :LOL:

sjk":20i3i8v5 said:
hopkinWFG":20i3i8v5 said:
sjk":20i3i8v5 said:
Racerxrated":20i3i8v5 said:

I get it, didn't realize you wanted the super heavies as well, can't speak to the mtl, but the MCI and II will do the heavy stuff for sure but for super modern heavies I suppose the mtl would be the ticket. The scott ian video is a LARGE part of the reason I succumbed to the wizard :LOL: :LOL:

Haha ! Yeah i got your wizard amp excite :)... but i dont mind sparring off slight ACDC crunch tone abit and getta angrier tone out of the MC2 for the part that i am looking at majority...

Racerxrated":1zmbcxhg said:
hopkinWFG":1zmbcxhg said:
Racerxrated":1zmbcxhg said:

Not sure about the transformers, other than the C being the most Marshall-like in the mids. If you look in this sub forum and scroll back, you can find more talk about the differences in the transformers.
I will also add that I just got done playing it, and by dropping the mids way back I can get a Mark IIC+ type scooped metal tone...not saying it sounds like a C+ but the EQ spectrum is damn close to a C+ with a V in the GEQ.
The EQ is very responsive....trust me. A scooped metal tone is no problem with the MCI/II.

Cool.... the C+ is like modern enough i supposed its lamb of god kinda tone there? But just how tight is the MC2 putting a Fryette Ultra lead into an AB comparison...

Is the MC2 very responsive to your playing being the picking part ?

The MCII I just picked up will nail anything from classic thrash>nu-thrash>old school death metal>modern metal on the lead ch. I can pull any metal tone my little black heart desires with lead boost on or off and in either the low input or high input. It's VERY responsive to pick dynamics. I'm smacking the front end with a Ts9 as a clean boost just to tighten the lows a bit. Not adding any gain whatsoever with the TS mind you, just reigning in the low end and adding that little extra attack from the pedal.

FWIW this amp has the V transformers and it is a metal f!*?ing MONSTER. Its also NAILS 60s-70s rock n rolla on the rhythm ch.

hopkinWFG":1sm1n3yw said:
Racerxrated":1sm1n3yw said:
hopkinWFG":1sm1n3yw said:
Racerxrated":1sm1n3yw said:

Cool.... the C+ is like modern enough i supposed its lamb of god kinda tone there? But just how tight is the MC2 putting a Fryette Ultra lead into an AB comparison...

Like Mike said, it is very responsive to pick attack, and you can work wonders with the volume control at high gain levels. The C+ is a Metal amp all day if that's what you want to dial in, and I can get almost as dark/scooped with this MCI. You really can get any tone out of this amp, and it has incredible TIGHT low end no matter how high you dial the bass. It's like a force of nature.

Racerxrated":2fg4avm6 said:
hopkinWFG":2fg4avm6 said:
hopkinWFG":2fg4avm6 said:

Like Mike said, it is very responsive to pick attack, and you can work wonders with the volume control at high gain levels. The C+ is a Metal amp all day if that's what you want to dial in, and I can get almost as dark/scooped with this MCI. You really can get any tone out of this amp, and it has incredible TIGHT low end no matter how high you dial the bass. It's like a force of nature.

Haha... enuff said thanks alot guys !!

Back