NAD: Mesa Boogie Mark iv widebody combo!!

I always used R2 on my Mark IVs as either an extra clean channel with more grit/breakup, or as a fat crunch channel by running an overdrive out front.

I always wished that I could get R2 to act as a warmer clone of the lead channel, but as much as I studied the entire channel, there isn’t a way to do this without compromising the other channels.

R2 is nearly perfect for getting that AC/DC type of crunch, and if you goose the volume enough, it sounds very similar to Randy Rhodes’a tones from Blzzard of Ozz. At least mine does anyway, but try this...raise the treble somewhere between 8.5-10, back off the mids a little bit, and then play the beginning riff to “We Die Young”, and tell me that doesn’t sound closer to Jerry Cantrell’s “Snorkeler” than the last Marshall you played.

Somehow, to my ears, R2 sounds really similar to these great overdriven Marshall tones. So, even though the Mark IV’s Lead channel is one of the best tones for high gain rhythm and liquidy-smooth leads, and R1 has the cleanest, bell-like tones since the DRRI, R2 covers the middle ground of crunchy hard rock rhythm guitars, but falls short if you’re looking for a high-gain rhythm tone, but it’s perfect for hard rock rhythms. If you can’t use your lead channel for Rhythm and need more gain from R2, you’ll need an OD or Boost to get there.

Well,
I had Studio pre, Quad, Formula, Rectifier pre, V-twin rack, 20-20 power amp, Dual recto 3 ch and a Mark IV.
Everything except the recto pre is sold now. The only thing i regret selling was the studio pre. That pre, through the 20/20 power amp gave me the sweetest, 3 dimensional sound, with the right amount of elasticity and depth to dig into! A really inspiring rig to play.

The Mark iv on the other hand, had mediocre cleans, an awkward second channel and an awesome 3rd distortion channel but still vintage sounding by todays standards. And it definitely had this "the today's awesome settings sound mediocre tomorrow" thing unfortunately. Glad it is sold.

Just saying,
Would be nice for mesa to release a Mark V Reborn with progressive linkage.
Ch1 revisited with this studio pre kind of clean.
Ch2 revisited with the awesome crunch ch from v:25.
Ch3 well, a distortion blending from the recto rev.F + jp2c shred mode \:D/
Power amp tubes 4xEL84, 4x6L6, 4xEL34s or 4xKT77.
That would be something. An amp worth saving for.

..and then I woke up :LOL: :LOL:

fretout":2glt1esv said:
I always used R2 on my Mark IVs as either an extra clean channel with more grit/breakup, or as a fat crunch channel by running an overdrive out front.

I always wished that I could get R2 to act as a warmer clone of the lead channel, but as much as I studied the entire channel, there isn’t a way to do this without compromising the other channels.

R2 is nearly perfect for getting that AC/DC type of crunch, and if you goose the volume enough, it sounds very similar to Randy Rhodes’a tones from Blzzard of Ozz. At least mine does anyway, but try this...raise the treble somewhere between 8.5-10, back off the mids a little bit, and then play the beginning riff to “We Die Young”, and tell me that doesn’t sound closer to Jerry Cantrell’s “Snorkeler” than the last Marshall you played.

Somehow, to my ears, R2 sounds really similar to these great overdriven Marshall tones. So, even though the Mark IV’s Lead channel is one of the best tones for high gain rhythm and liquidy-smooth leads, and R1 has the cleanest, bell-like tones since the DRRI, R2 covers the middle ground of crunchy hard rock rhythm guitars, but falls short if you’re looking for a high-gain rhythm tone, but it’s perfect for hard rock rhythms. If you can’t use your lead channel for Rhythm and need more gain from R2, you’ll need an OD or Boost to get there.

Do you use the Graphic EQ on R2?

fretout":fx0hvzd1 said:

The thing that bothered me was I had to run the bass low on R2 to keep it from getting muddy. Since R1 and R2 share the bass control, R1 never had enough bass, or R2 would be muddy. I recently sold it and bought a Triple Crown.

pair it with the Mesa/Boogie 3/4 back widebody 1x12 extension cab.

I use one with my widebody DC5 combo..so its like a vertical 2x12 config

Back