Really bad tuning problem with my Suhr. Please help!

geetarmikey

Hi, I've been experiencing big tuning problems with my Suhr Modern.

If I use the Gotoh whammy bar and dive it the notes go very sharp but if I physically bend a note past a tone it tends to go very flat. This is happening on every string no matter how much I stretch them out. I have the trem set to the body.

What could be causing this? I've got a new graphite nut and have smoothed down the saddles where the strings pass over them so I don't know where the strings could be snagging anywhere?

It's driving me mad and is making gigs quite hard work now, please can anyone help?

To me, it really sounds like something's snagging someplace. Since it's effecting all of the strings, I'm wondering if maybe the bridge (even though it rests on the body) is hanging on the posts. Maybe try lubricating the posts and/or tightening the bridge down a little more. Also, since it's a new nut, I'm wondering if maybe it's not quite seated properly and is moving in its slot. You could check that by trying to forcefully move it by hand. If it moves at all, if it changes the pitch of the strings, it might have to be re-glued. Other than that, I'd be looking at the string slots on the nut. Even graphite nuts can hang if the slots aren't perfectly smooth.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts... good luck!!

Is the Floyd nut loose ? Are the neck screws even a tiny bit loose ? Something is moving to affect all the strings...

I agree with paulyc, something's got to be moving. Neck screws? Is the Strat-style trem a 6-screw or does it mount on 2 posts? If it's a 6-screw, make sure that the screws are *not* too tight, as that can put the pivot point at an up-angle and with the trem pulled all the way back to the body, it could be hanging up there. You could try lubricating the pivot points on either style. If there's an edge that's slightly flatten on the posts/screws or the knife-edge of the bridge has lost its edge, it could cause this, too, even if the trem is blocked.

Basically, check the neck screws, the trem, the nut, and the tuners (make sure they are tight on the top and the screws are tight in the back). Whatever it is, it's got to be in there somewhere. Did this start right after you replaced the nut, did it start all of a sudden, or did was it a gradual change?

ChurchHill":30dn4ov4 said:
If it's a 6-screw, make sure that the screws are *not* too tight, as that can put the pivot point at an up-angle and with the trem pulled all the way back to the body, it could be hanging up there. You could try lubricating the pivot points on either style.

My first thought.

ChurchHill":1duszqsl said:
I agree with paulyc, something's got to be moving. Neck screws? Is the Strat-style trem a 6-screw or does it mount on 2 posts? If it's a 6-screw, make sure that the screws are *not* too tight, as that can put the pivot point at an up-angle and with the trem pulled all the way back to the body, it could be hanging up there. You could try lubricating the pivot points on either style. If there's an edge that's slightly flatten on the posts/screws or the knife-edge of the bridge has lost its edge, it could cause this, too, even if the trem is blocked.

Basically, check the neck screws, the trem, the nut, and the tuners (make sure they are tight on the top and the screws are tight in the back). Whatever it is, it's got to be in there somewhere. Did this start right after you replaced the nut, did it start all of a sudden, or did was it a gradual change?

What am I looking for when I'm looking for the knife edge on the trem?

It's where the front of the trem meets the screws/posts it pivots against. If it's a vintage-style 6-hole trem, the knife edge is the back of each screw hole. If it's a modern 2-post, it's the back of the rounded cut-outs where the posts rest. You have to loosen the strings and at least partially remove the bridge to see it clearly, removed enough to see the edge.

Another thought... if the bridge is mounted on 2-posts and those posts are in anchors, the anchors could be moving in the body. I had this happen to me once, it was a really pain to diagnose. If your posts are in anchors, with the bridge removed, try rocking the posts back and forth. If they move at all, this is probably the problem. In my case, I was able to pull the anchor out without any effort. Unfortunately, the only real fix for this is to plug and re-drill the holes for the anchors. Not an easy fix and one best left for the pros. In any case, I hope this is not where your problem is. :)

Here's a pic of the knife edge of one of the mounting posts on a 2-post trem... maybe not quite like your bridge, but you should be able to get the idea.

IMGP1266-600x400.jpg

Back