Multiple preamps into one poweramp

I have three preamps that I would like to be able to switch between using one poweramp and cab.

What other gear do I need?

Any loop switcher should work. Just treat the pre-amps as if they were drive pedals.

GTR >> Switcher In
Loop 1 Send >> Pre 1 >> Return
Loop 2 Send >> Pre 2 >> Return
Loop 3 Send >> Pre 3 >> Return
Switcher Out >> Pwr Amp In

You'd want to use presets to turn one loop off and another on simultaneouly, or you could run them in series (unusual and probably noisy, but who knows).

If you placed the pre-amp loops in the middle of, say, an 8 loop switcher, you could have 3 pre effects and 2 post effects, or any other combination of the remaining loops (5 loops available with an 8 loop switcher).

Just curious... which pre-amps?

I have a Rocktron mAXE, Rocktron ProGap and a Kartakou Colossus.

I haven't spent much time playing either of them.

So, I would like to place all three in a rack and switch between them, without the hassle of swapping them from my current rack.

I'd look at something like an RJM Music Mini Effect Gizmo (5 loops), a Voodoo Lab GCX (8 loops), or an RJM Music Effect Gizmo (12 loops). The last two are rack mountable, the first one would easily fit in the back of a rack.

moltenmetalburn":1kg4b01n said:
Decibel 11 loop expander is on sale right now for $99 FYI. 4 loops, MIDI.

Got my hands on one. It's MIDI controlled.

Recommend a simple MIDI controller device to use, to switch between loops.

I'm new to MIDI and knows nothing about it.

Thanks

inhuman666":26batvn3 said:
moltenmetalburn":26batvn3 said:
Decibel 11 loop expander is on sale right now for $99 FYI. 4 loops, MIDI.

Got my hands on one. It's MIDI controlled.

Recommend a simple MIDI controller device to use, to switch between loops.

I'm new to MIDI and knows nothing about it.

Thanks

Literally any midi controller.
I use a disaster area dmc-6gen3

Ok guys, now gonna follow up on this.

So I need to connect a midi controller to the loop expander to switch between the preamps?

Can someone walk me through this or provide a link?

Thanks.

Plug a MIDI cable from pedals MIDI OUT to DB11 MIDI IN. Plug guitar into DB11 in. Plug DB11 out into power amp. Put one preamp in each loop. SEND goes to preamp in, RETURN connects to preamp out.

Read DB11 and MIDI controller manuals for programming instructions.

You´ll likely end up with hum from ground loops, so be prepared to add a isolation transformer in front of two of the preamps and also maybe lift the ground on the cables from the outputs. This is where stuff that is mains powered differs from looping up a few distortion pedals, sad to say.

Best device for that exact purpose is the Mesa High Gain Amp Switcher. A bit hard to find, a bit pricy, but it is the perfect tool for the task. Everything is correctly buffered/transformer isolated/noiseless etc. No fuss, no tone sucking, no groud loop, no pop/noise etc... Switch up to 4 preamps into one power amp. I have one and i does the job ! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I also think the Mesa is a bit too pricey for what it actually is, but since this is uncharted territory for most people I absolutely understand the allure of something that just does it right off the bat and why people pay such a premium for it.

Back