• Wizard Modern Classic II

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Other (Please specify below)

Votes: 24 29.6%

• Total voters
Racerxrated":1r9wbl8l said:
MetalHeadMike":1r9wbl8l said:
Racerxrated":1r9wbl8l said:
The Wizard has 2 really nice spots below 1 on the MV that really make it sound like a pushed power section, never heard an amp react that way at such a low volume.

I have found the same on this one. Very satisfying girth & grind at 1 or so on the volume, but you can't help but nudge it up....up....up....and up :rock: I cracked the ceiling drywall in my kitchen the other day :aww: The vibration from the basement put a nice 4 ft long split right down the ceiling :no: Nuckinfuts the amount of balls they have :rock:
It's crazy. I've had 2 Mesa Mark Coliseums, a Triple Recto, some HUGE sounding JMP 1959s and a D120 and this MCI has more nuts than any of them. No way it's 100w...no way. The fact that it takes a boost so well seals the deal for me as the best amp I've ever owned, and has more clarity and thump by far. When Gary told me it makes any other amp seem small he wasn't lying.
A boost gives it just the right amount of compression where there wasn't any before lol....

I really like using my Suhr koko boost into the low input of the MTL. I’ll have to try the amp at one: I’m usually playing it at 4!

mhenson42":2kqtzt82 said:
Racerxrated":2kqtzt82 said:
MetalHeadMike":2kqtzt82 said:
Racerxrated":2kqtzt82 said:
The Wizard has 2 really nice spots below 1 on the MV that really make it sound like a pushed power section, never heard an amp react that way at such a low volume.

I have found the same on this one. Very satisfying girth & grind at 1 or so on the volume, but you can't help but nudge it up....up....up....and up :rock: I cracked the ceiling drywall in my kitchen the other day :aww: The vibration from the basement put a nice 4 ft long split right down the ceiling :no: Nuckinfuts the amount of balls they have :rock:
It's crazy. I've had 2 Mesa Mark Coliseums, a Triple Recto, some HUGE sounding JMP 1959s and a D120 and this MCI has more nuts than any of them. No way it's 100w...no way. The fact that it takes a boost so well seals the deal for me as the best amp I've ever owned, and has more clarity and thump by far. When Gary told me it makes any other amp seem small he wasn't lying.
A boost gives it just the right amount of compression where there wasn't any before lol....

I really like using my Suhr koko boost into the low input of the MTL. I’ll have to try the amp at one: I’m usually playing it at 4!
The boosting is the only reason I sold the MTL I had. No matter how low I dialed the gain it just didn't like any of the pedals I had at the time. It 'narrowed' the tone, which I didn't like. I also didn't like the mids on the amp but I could have dealt with that if only I could have used one of my mid flavored boosts.
Still a great amp.
MCI is much more boost friendly.

mhenson42":mmk71p0h said:
Racerxrated":mmk71p0h said:
MetalHeadMike":mmk71p0h said:
Racerxrated":mmk71p0h said:

Volume @ 4 :shocked: :shocked: Is that with the loop send/return cranked?? I play with those knobs at around 1--->2 o' clock and master at 2 1/2----->3 and its devastatingly loud :rock:

MetalHeadMike":8x2tzrbd said:
mhenson42":8x2tzrbd said:
Racerxrated":8x2tzrbd said:
MetalHeadMike":8x2tzrbd said:
Racerxrated":8x2tzrbd said:

Volume @ 4 :shocked: :shocked: Is that with the loop send/return cranked?? I play with those knobs at around 1--->2 o' clock and master at 2/12----->3 and its devastatingly loud :rock:
:LOL: :LOL: I'm with you Mike, no way can I go at 4 for more than a few riffs...2-3 is where it's at for me. Usually closer to 2. Lol.
I think I've had it to 4 once. That was enough. At least for my spare bedroom downstairs.

It took 17 years to wait for it to go on sale but i got my desert island amp.
Billy Corgan's 1998 silver face/blue spec Machina Tour Diezel VH4.
It's loaded with 6l6s.
I've never sounded so massive on stage. $4500 well spent. :rock:

IpOUiGKl.jpg

Here it is in the bottom of his head rack.
bc-gr.jpg

Racerxrated":8hvy6wdq said:
MetalHeadMike":8hvy6wdq said:
mhenson42":8hvy6wdq said:
MetalHeadMike":8hvy6wdq said:

Volume @ 4 :shocked: :shocked: Is that with the loop send/return cranked?? I play with those knobs at around 1--->2 o' clock and master at 2/12----->3 and its devastatingly loud :rock:
:LOL: :LOL: I'm with you Mike, no way can I go at 4 for more than a few riffs...2-3 is where it's at for me. Usually closer to 2. Lol.
I think I've had it to 4 once. That was enough. At least for my spare bedroom downstairs.

Yeah 2 is LOUD if the send/return knobs around back are full on. If I have both those knobs on back cranked full, 2 on the master (or just below 2 actually!!!) is my comfort level :rock: I guess I could handle 4 for more than a minute or two if I had a cable long enough to sit out in the yard with the amp in the basement :LOL: :LOL:

MetalHeadMike":359m641u said:
Racerxrated":359m641u said:
mhenson42":359m641u said:

Yeah 2 is LOUD if the send/return knobs around back are full on. If I have both those knobs on back cranked full, 2 on the master (or just below 2 actually!!!) is my comfort level :rock: I guess I could handle 4 for more than a minute or two if I had a cable long enough to sit out in the yard with the amp in the basement :LOL: :LOL:

I stand away from it and to the side so I'm not in the direct line of fire. :LOL: :LOL: Usually I run the MTL/MCII at the same time or one or the other with the other cab used in a W/D set up. I have another Wizard/cab on the way soon so looking forward to all 3 at once :rock:

mhenson42":evwdqs6b said:
MetalHeadMike":evwdqs6b said:
Racerxrated":evwdqs6b said:
mhenson42":evwdqs6b said:

I stand away from it and to the side so I'm not in the direct line of fire. :LOL: :LOL: Usually I run the MTL/MCII at the same time or one or the other with the other cab used in a W/D set up. I have another Wizard/cab on the way soon so looking forward to all 3 at once :rock:

Yeah when I get it cooking I'm off to side as well. I love sitting right in front but I've lost enough hearing since acquiring this amp :aww: Both at once WOW! That's gotta be something :rock: :rock: I'd like to try the MCII mixed with Uber.

I could get down to a couple. Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Rev F and then a Fortin MESHUGGAH/NATAS or maybe a Killer Kali.

MetalHeadMike":56pvb2gb said:
mhenson42":56pvb2gb said:
Racerxrated":56pvb2gb said:
mhenson42":56pvb2gb said:

Yeah when I get it cooking I'm off to side as well. I love sitting right in front but I've lost enough hearing since acquiring this amp :aww: Both at once WOW! That's gotta be something :rock: :rock: I'd like to try the MCII mixed with Uber.
No loop on mine so 2 is 2.. :LOL: :LOL:
But, I've been slaving it through an HH M900(install version of the V800, same circuit) and it's great. Picked up a 50$ Roland SDE 1000 and it's got this great warm color to the wet cabs. I stand to the side as well when I push the Wiz..

LOL! Yeah, me a bit, too... ;)

One thing I'm curious about... nobody's mentioned ENGL. I know there are people out there who swear by them, but here, so far.... <crickets>

I like my Engls. I've owned the FB100, Savage 120, and Blackmore and played the Ironball and Artist Edition. Would like to play on an Invader 100 still.

The quotes are par for the course ;)

My son-in-law brings his FB100 over every once in awhile. It's a nice amp... (then I plug into the Herbert...) ;)

I know that's not exactly a fair comparison. I'd really like to try a Blackmore or and Artist Edition. Isn't the AE what Vivian Campbell is using with Last in Line? I've always heard good things about the Savage and the Invader, too. Just thought it was strange that nobody'd mentioned them in this thread, or even a single vote.

FWIW, I've really enjoyed the discussion so far. :)

ChurchHill":2qct630i said:
LOL! Yeah, me a bit, too... ;)

One thing I'm curious about... nobody's mentioned ENGL. I know there are people out there who swear by them, but here, so far.... <crickets>

I along with MetalMike ;) dig the Engls. Recently sold SE #3 for me. The SE EL34, Savage 120 are my favs of the line. Hoping to see more info/possible release date for the Savage 120 II Limited Edition... but nothing yet.
:( :aww:

... somewhat tonally similar with the CCV many rave about here. :yes:

The Savage 120 is the tightest amp I've ever owned or played. Only amp I've owned that I could plug straight in and get the level of tightness and attack that I like. The trade off though was that it felt very stiff most of the time and just was somewhat difficult to play if that makes sense. I wish I would have tried the Duncan Distortion while I still had that amp, might have been the ticket.

Sorry to have cluttered up your thread with all the side chatter :aww:

LOL! No... no way... this is EXACTLY the kind of side-chatter I wanted here. How does this compare to that, what makes this better, what makes this one not so good, what makes this one special. No right or wrong, just lots of information along the way. So, clutter and chatter away, my friends!! :rawk:

MetalHeadMike":1q85rvu7 said:
The Savage 120 is the tightest amp I've ever owned or played. Only amp I've owned that I could plug straight in and get the level of tightness and attack that I like. The trade off thought was that it felt very stiff most of the time and just was somewhat difficult to play if that makes sense.
How does the "stiffness" of the Savage compare to your Wizard?

Wizard of Ozz":34u69xkv said:
... somewhat tonally similar with the CCV many rave about here. :yes:
Sounds intriguing... I haven't had the pleasure of playing a Cameron, so I'm not sure I'd know the difference, but if it's in the same ballpark...

Back