Butterslax clean Channel mod?

Jon BCN

Can a Butterslax be modded to have a clean channel like the Buxom Betty or the SS100?

Can It be modded to have a plexi Channel like the Smallbox?

Well I don’t think a lot of folks have had it modded.
I did, and when I asked Dave about the buxom Betty clean, he steered me toward doing a “plexi” clean as he called it.
It may be that it wasn’t worth the cost, but I didn’t argue with the man. It sounds amazing for what I wanted. It does have the ability to stay clean very loud now and get some grit toward the upper end of the gain. Then you can flip the switch to regular channel one, if you need some more. Totally worth it IMO

FWIW, I've found the clean on Ch.1 of the Slax fairly accessible with a good bit of master up/gain down, and controls backed off on the fiddles. Humbuckers and H/O ones at that on some guitars - no problem. Little bit of hair, but sounds great.

YMMV.

Butterlax already has a Plexi clean but with the saturation circuit permanently in. If you wanted a more “clean” clean channel, it would be a simple mod to lift the ground on these clippers, which I suspect Dave would be willing to do.

A Plexi clean on an amp like this is much better than your traditional Fender based clean, IMO.

kdmay":3f0j3lkc said:
Butterlax already has a Plexi clean but with the saturation circuit permanently in. If you wanted a more “clean” clean channel, it would be a simple mod to lift the ground on these clippers, which I suspect Dave would be willing to do.

A Plexi clean on an amp like this is much better than your traditional Fender based clean, IMO.

I don't want a Fender type of clean at all, I actually love plexi cleans.

But the Butterslax plexi Channel seems to have more gain and be more aggresive than the Smallbox plexi Channel for example.

What you said about the saturation switch makes sense.

Jon BCN":10aw2e37 said:
kdmay":10aw2e37 said:

But the Butterslax plexi Channel seems to have more gain and be more aggresive than the Smallbox plexi Channel for example.

Yep - that’s where the gain comes from. If you set the gain and volume both at 12:00 on a plexi clean, it will be pretty loud. In this amp, IIRC, it wasn’t super loud, which is the clippers kicking in. Killer sound though.

You could even put this on a switch so you have the best of both worlds....

kdmay":1sz1zkab said:
Jon BCN":1sz1zkab said:
kdmay":1sz1zkab said:

Yep - that’s where the gain comes from. If you set the gain and volume both at 12:00 on a plexi clean, it will be pretty loud. In this amp, IIRC, it wasn’t super loud, which is the clippers kicking in. Killer sound though.

You could even put this on a switch so you have the best of both worlds....

That would be awesome!

The clean on the butterslax is a plexi lower gain jose circuit.

The aggressiveness is coming from the clippers like kdmay said, but also from the large plate load resistors.

Another thing to note, I'm pretty sure removing the clippers alters the other channels too. I think they are in all the time.

CrazyNutz":hfglqom1 said:
The clean on the butterslax is a plexi lower gain jose circuit.

The aggressiveness is coming from the clippers like kdmay said, but also from the large plate load resistors.

Another thing to note, I'm pretty sure removing the clippers alters the other channels too. I think they are in all the time.

Yeah, I think you're right, with the 2 parallel stacks permanently connected, one having the pre-TS master and clippers. A simple relay toggling the ground would fix this.

All things Dave could easily mod for a custom job.

Ventura":1wig35jq said:
FWIW, I've found the clean on Ch.1 of the Slax fairly accessible with a good bit of master up/gain down, and controls backed off on the fiddles. Humbuckers and H/O ones at that on some guitars - no problem. Little bit of hair, but sounds great.

YMMV.
Yup. Cleaned up just fine for me. Love that amp.

Back