Good speaker to make a 1x12 sound more open?

Rex Rocker

I've got a little Orange PPC112. It looks pretty and it seems like its built solidly.

It does, however, sound a little boxy, especially under the mic. The stock Vintage 30 was alright, but a little harsh. I had a Creamback H-75 in it for a little while before I moved the speaker to my 4x12. It was a little better, but it still wasn't as open as I'd want. I'm thinking it needs a speaker with a little more open top-end and less focus on the mids. Something a little more airy. I'm not sure I want to go to the extreme of a T-75, though, since I'm not sure more bottom-end would help. I also need it to be available in 16 ohms since I want to pair it with another cab I have, so I guess that leaves the K-100, Lynchback out, and EVM12L out.

So what should I be looking at? Eminence? Jensen? Celestion?

:)

When I saw the title I immediately thought old, vented G12T75. I have one in an old Carvin 1x12 and it sounds as big as it ever has. But I get the hesitation to go there.

Texas heat. I had an old marshall cab full of them, and it was the first cab that I could really use the treble on my jcm 800, and really open the amp up. I’ve tried to buy it back a couple times lol.

SpiderWars":ky31c6j3 said:
When I saw the title I immediately thought old, vented G12T75. I have one in an old Carvin 1x12 and it sounds as big as it ever has. But I get the hesitation to go there.
Honestly, the more I look at the T-75, the more it seems like I'd dig it. I'll try to check some clips out.

mchn13":ky31c6j3 said:
Texas heat. I had an old marshall cab full of them, and it was the first cab that I could really use the treble on my jcm 800, and really open the amp up. I’ve tried to buy it back a couple times lol.
Isn't the Texas Heat like really dark, though?

Rex Rocker":43bwmj0s said:
SpiderWars":43bwmj0s said:
Honestly, the more I look at the T-75, the more it seems like I'd dig it. I'll try to check some clips out.

mchn13":43bwmj0s said:
Isn't the Texas Heat like really dark, though?

Possibly I guess, but I sounded amazing with the 800 which will bite yer damn head off. But it never sounded honky or boxy to me. Always sounded open and full with that setup. Maybe I missed it but what amp are ya using?

Rex Rocker":gnqvir1z said:
I've got a little Orange PPC112. It looks pretty and it seems like its built solidly.

It does, however, sound a little boxy, especially under the mic. The stock Vintage 30 was alright, but a little harsh. I had a Creamback H-75 in it for a little while before I moved the speaker to my 4x12. It was a little better, but it still wasn't as open as I'd want. I'm thinking it needs a speaker with a little more open top-end and less focus on the mids. Something a little more airy. I'm not sure I want to go to the extreme of a T-75, though, since I'm not sure more bottom-end would help. I also need it to be available in 16 ohms since I want to pair it with another cab I have, so I guess that leaves the K-100, Lynchback out, and EVM12L out.

So what should I be looking at? Eminence? Jensen? Celestion?

:)

?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Celestion/ ... 5338979.gc

I'd also look into a Classic Lead 80 or a Mesa/Celestion Black Shadow MC-90. I've never heard either in a closed back cab, but in open back cabs, they are the "airiest" I've played through. I've had other open back setups, including a T-75 in the back of my old JCM900 combo, the current Fryette AR-75 that's stock in the Memphis and R112 cabs, an EVM12L, and Vintage 30's. Level setting based on that, the MC-90 and Classic Lead 80 were the the best when it comes to a balanced/open top end with reasonable (not too much, not too little) mids, without flubbing out in the bass at all.

Having been through love affairs with Greenbacks, the 65 Watt Creambacks (which are my second favorite speaker of all time), Swamp Thangs/Governor mix and a Wizard or two, and not having cared at all for the GT 75 or the V30's, I've settled on the Alnico Cream 90 Watt...

Expensive speaker, but when I went for it, my mouth dropped open and I'm still pulling flies out... love the Alnico Cream. Can't recommend it enough. With that being said, I've never used it it in a 1x12, only in my Theta Combo (which has a crossover and sub woofer so all the lows are to the woofer, highs and mids to the AC), but it sounds better than any other speaker I've had in there EVER.

Subjective, of course, but worthy of some research... my two cents and good luck!

EDIT: a good comparison to the 75 Watt Creamback for some reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHKfVPW9Ytw

+1 on the Alnico Cream. Not mid rangy, honky or boxy at all but still has that Celestion vibe and generally has more of everything. IMHO it's the best all around speaker, especially for a 1x12. Sounds amazing in a 2x12 or 4x12 but it's equally impressive in a 1x12. Every amp I've used it with sounds better. Simply put it enhances the tone, it's not heavy in mids, highs or lows very equally balanced but not a flat neutral sounding speaker. I rolled thru most of the Celestion catalog the last 10 years and nothing has blown my mind right out of the box like the Alnico Cream. Well worth the money. The Redback looks very interesting/promising too.

Buckeyedog":1ia0xl6k said:
Redback? Kind of made for a 112. I haven't played through one though.
Came to suggest this actually. Sounded huge in my V-Boutique 1x12.

Celestion Redback. Sounds huge. Here’s a clip with a single Redback. Granted, it’s in my 2x12, but it’s only going through the Redback.

I like the eminence Swamp thang, that thing sounds massive and 3d. I haven't tried it in a 1x12 but I'd imagine it would be pretty cool

Thanks for all the replies, dudes!

Oh! I didn't realize you could get the K-100's in 16 ohms! Honestly, that's my top runner right now. The Redback also looks interesting.

The Cream also seems interesting. It's a bit pricey, but damn, it sounds KILLER in the clips.

^^^^^^^

I know, right? I haven't found a bad clip yet of the Alnico Cream.

This one really got my attention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiEmYq8YsnI Although some say it sounds 'flubby,' I just don't hear it. The first vid I posted sealed the deal for me, and that guy compares it to the Alnico Blue and Gold as well, so you get some really good reference points, in a 1x12 no less!

I was initially worried that it wouldn't have enough bite for my super high gain tastes, but just like Tripstan said, it enhances everything but not flat. Before I got a second one for my Vector 2x12 (same as the Theta Combo, one guitar speaker and one sub), I had the 65 Watt Creamback in there. Comparatively, it made the Creamback so woody and flat/dry - and up until that moment, I loved the Creamback.

Have fun with your choice! The Redback does look interesting, too!

Yeah, I heard that clip too, and that made me GAS horribly for a quad for my 4x12, lol. Though I must admit I liked aspects from both the CB H-75 and the Cream on the first vid you linked me to. The Cream does seem to have less of the top-end scratchiness and more bite compared to the CBH.

I'll be on the lookout for a Cream. I checked with the local Celestion dealer, and they seem to only have the 8 ohm version in stock. Same with the K-100.

The Redback seems interesting on paper, but I haven't heard a clip that suggests is as bitey as I'd want it to, TBH. Most of them make it appear round and smooth and almost kinda dark, especially compared to the CBH-75 or V30's.

Back