NAD Mesa Mark IV

Just FYI, Deoxit is good for cleaning the input and speaker jacks, EQ sliders, and the tube sockets, too. If/when you change tubes, it's never a bad idea to spray a little in the socket, then insert and remove the old tubes a couple of times to work away any carbon/grime that may have built up. No need to be overzealous, but it does keep everything nice and clean. Great stuff!

ChurchHill":4vywrfk9 said:
Just FYI, Deoxit is good for cleaning the input and speaker jacks, EQ sliders, and the tube sockets, too. If/when you change tubes, it's never a bad idea to spray a little in the socket, then insert and remove the old tubes a couple of times to work away any carbon/grime that may have built up. No need to be overzealous, but it does keep everything nice and clean. Great stuff!

Good to know, I will definitely make a note of it, this is one beast of an amp and I'd love to preserve it :thumbsup:

I LOVED Ch2 of my MKIV. I lived there most of the time. It’s easy to make those amps sound “weird” if you’re not used to dialing in Boogies. That being said , I love that amp.

Norton666":2af6dpx2 said:
I LOVED Ch2 of my MKIV. I lived there most of the time. It’s easy to make those amps sound “weird” if you’re not used to dialing in Boogies. That being said , I love that amp.
For what it's worth, when I got mine, I started a new personal tradition. I decided to institute a new type of practice session. A once a week "gear" practice. The whole purpose of it was to spend an hour with one piece of gear. Not trying to learn a song or anything like that. The goal was to learn more about that piece of gear.

With my amps, a looper was a huge help. I would play a riff, and then repeatedly play it back with the looper. I fed the looper in as input to my amp. Then, I simply sat down and played with the controls. Being able to adjust settings on the fly (without having to stop playing, and then tweak) made all the difference in the world.

And, for the Mark IV, the manual is a great place to start.

bgh":8zvi0l4c said:
For what it's worth, when I got mine, I started a new personal tradition. I decided to institute a new type of practice session. A once a week "gear" practice. The whole purpose of it was to spend an hour with one piece of gear. Not trying to learn a song or anything like that. The goal was to learn more about that piece of gear.

With my amps, a looper was a huge help. I would play a riff, and then repeatedly play it back with the looper. I fed the looper in as input to my amp. Then, I simply sat down and played with the controls. Being able to adjust settings on the fly (without having to stop playing, and then tweak) made all the difference in the world.

And, for the Mark IV, the manual is a great place to start.
This is GREAT advice!! Especially for something like the Mark IV that's not only extremely versatile, but also rather unique in how it likes to be set. "Gear" practice gives you the chance to learn new delay tricks, try new mic positions, check out different pedals, and so much more... kind of like dedicating an hour a week to experimenting with open tunings, new scales and modes, different styles.

And yes, the manual is a great place to start. Might even try reading the manuals for the Mark III, Studio, or Quad, too. They're all similar amps and each manual has some tips and settings that definitely cross-pollinate.

If I remember correctly the IV has 96 voices just from the switches. I bought mine when it came out almost thirty years ago and I still find new sounds in it. For single note lead playing I don't know of a better lead channel. With my other amps I'm usually trying to get something similar to the liquid lead sound the MESA Mark amps do. The IV can do bass heavy sounds on the Lead channel no other amp can do. Nothing short of amazing for the chunk rhythm playing. The possibilities are pretty much endless.

The only lead channel that I've found to be as satisfying, fun, and easy as a Mark Series is the Bogner Ecstasy and that's really, really, really not the same thing... For heavy rhythm, I agree, nothing short of amazing and very few amps can come close. For me, nothing does that better than a Mark.

The V isn't on the same level as the IV in terms of tone and response. Theres a reason I have 2 of these haha.

Back