Synergy Dirty Shirley vs actual Dirty Shirley

withmittens

Is the Synergy mods intended to sound just like the amp if I have the same power tubes and speaker/cab as the amp?

Or, should I expect it to be "in the spirit of" the sound of the Dirty Shirley amp? that is, similar gain structure, similar tone pocket but really it's own thing?

I'm asking of course because I have a full MTS system and would like the Synergy pre of the same name to get me the DS sound, dead on. I have many speaker options and can run any octal tube in my RT2/50

A few friends and I did a comparison at the local shop between the Synergy DS module and a DS mini using the mini's fx loop/power tubes so basically the same power setup thru a Friedman 4x12. We kept A/B'ing it to get it as close as possible. We came pretty close and in a live mix most people wouldn't know the difference. But the DS mini had just a tad bit more of a spongy bass thickness in my opinion that sounded better. I wish I could compare it to a DS40.

DS sounds huge with my syn30. Took me right back to the tone of the DSM. Sounds bigger with the 6L6s vs el84s. Huge bass and I love the voicing. Nice to have 2 channels for different settings, so I get crystal clean, low/medium gain and a higher gain channel. Might be my favorite module (so far).

I had gotten the idea that the modules had more gain than the amp. Based on older demos the amp sounded lower gain, classic rock but maybe that was just how it was used.

I did mod a DIY DS module thinking it would get me close to that sound but it has way too much gain. I can turn it down and crank the master for a good tone but gain is on about 0.5.

been wondering about the DS Synergy.

thanks

Back