4x12 speaker cabs... The WORST gear investment ever. *RANT*

• Thread starter Deleted member 10619
  • Start date
I tried going the S.S. Axefx route and wasnt happy. I tried using a 1x12 then a 2x12 and still wasnt happy. I WANT to use a 1 x12.. I WANT to use a small 2 space solid state rig..!!!!!!!!! Cant stress how much I would love to use that type of setup, but my 4x12 and tube amps have a sound and feel that I cant get with anything else... I "could" just settle, but I have never been an "its good enough" type of person.
The more flooded the market gets with 4x12s the better for me, so sell people sell..!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

phil b":3sukf8jr said:
I tried going the S.S. Axefx route and wasnt happy. I tried using a 1x12 then a 2x12 and still wasnt happy. I WANT to use a 1 x12.. I WANT to use a small 2 space solid state rig..!!!!!!!!! Cant stress how much I would love to use that type of setup, but my 4x12 and tube amps have a sound and feel that I cant get with anything else... I "could" just settle, but I have never been an "its good enough" type of person.
The more flooded the market gets with 4x12s the better for me, so sell people sell..!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Totally agree...I tried SOOO hard to love the AX8 and it is really cool, sounded damn good through an FRFR speaker but after playing it, then playing through one of my tube amps all I could think about was "Hmm, what can I buy after returning the AX8?" Lol. After using tube amps AND 4X12s for so many years I can't change. Not worth it.

Meh, to each his own
I love 412's, I have 6 and might get a few more more before its over :LOL: :LOL:
Yes, they all get used

Racerxrated":z8tjrd5h said:
phil b":z8tjrd5h said:
Totally agree...I tried SOOO hard to love the AX8 and it is really cool, sounded damn good through an FRFR speaker but after playing it, then playing through one of my tube amps all I could think about was "Hmm, what can I buy after returning the AX8?" Lol. After using tube amps AND 4X12s for so many years I can't change. Not worth it.
Basically. You CAN go directly into the FOH, but the removal of air being pushed and the pressure that 4x12s create just leave something missing. It'd certainly be easier, but I gotta have that feeling in order to get sufficiently hyped for a gig.

They are what they are. You could make a lot of the same points about tube amps but most of us still play them because they sound and feel better. Same goes for 4x12 cabs.

Just need to buy smart (GC used or local) and know what you want. I don't get the "takes up too much space" argument since they have the same footprint as 2x12 and even some wide 1x12 cabs.

I had a Mesa oversized 4x12 that served me well for years, sold it after my old band broke up. Now I have a couple of 2x12's and a 1x12- my oversized 2x12 doesn't leave me feeling like I'm missing anything, and it fits in my current car.

As a full fledged 412 user and abuser, trust me when I say that when you crank up a 69 or 71 Marshall Super Lead through 4 412 cabs, you would never consider any modeler of any type. I had 46 4x12 cabs at one point before I started selling them to start my car collection. But I still have 26 of them here. Sure, you can probably only bring a 1x12 or 2x12 to what passes as a club gig these days, or at home, which is why I converted my 3 car garage, soundproofed it, and keep them all in there to blast at will.

I'm sorry that many of you won't ever experience that type of sonic overload, fun and pleasure.

I got some really great deals on some 4x12 a few months ago locally.

Bogner Uberkab - $500
Diezel 4x12 - $440
Mesa 4x12 - $300

Matching a head and a cab is too hard to resist and the deals on GC.com are killer specially the depreciation hit that is already eaten..

It's funny how some people are focusing too much on the word "investment". I already explained in a second post why I opted to choose that word within the context of the thread. My apologies for using this specific "clickbait" word in my title. Poor word choice indeed.

In my experience, when buying used gear, I get the same amount in return within a short window of time. Kind of like "freezing money" into a suspense account - meaning: not generating any interest but you know you'll use it for something else later. Hasn't been the case with 4x12s; out of all the used gear I've moved throughout the years, which is plenty.

Additionally, I did state that getting a good deal in the used market and KEEPING the 4x12 and commiting to it is a smart way to go.

I currently have no use for a 4x12. I'm saying this after trying out quite a different array of Bogners, Diezels, Mesa cabs, etc. I believe that most of the "tone" lies within the speakers when going for the classic rock/metal setup, so imagine me GASing and trying different cabs and speakers instead of amps... I was a happy camper with most of the amps I've owned!

Not only that but going back and forth with 4x12s while gigging, recording, rehearsing and moving 8 times within 10 years. It drived me nuts! Like owning an additional piece of heavy furniture that you'll bump and scrape the walls with.

I needed to vent. So my words and thoughts weren't fully there in my initial post.

I completely understand people being happy with their 4x12s. Not here to change their minds if they work for them. Just stirring the pot a bit to see if there are other souls out there with similar thoughts and experiences as me. Again for (poor old) me, it has been a waste of time, money and forgot to mention that I experienced at least 2 (very) minor injuries (back and toe).

For those out there looking for alternatives/solutions.. there are a handful of great ones out there that will give you equal/similar results so you can satisfy a crowd/audience/customer.

This has been my homo opinion.

Reminds me of a bad joke I once heard... this pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel for a belt buckle. The bartender's like, "Alright, I've gotta know... what's the steering wheel for?" The pirate replies, "Arrgghhh… it's driving' me nuts."

;) Warned you it was a bad joke... ;)

No worries, man. 4x12s are just tools, and there are many tools available.

ChurchHill":1w0i5fuu said:
Reminds me of a bad joke I once heard... this pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel for a belt buckle. The bartender's like, "Alright, I've gotta know... what's the steering wheel for?" The pirate replies, "Arrgghhh… it's driving' me nuts."

;) Warned you it was a bad joke... ;)

No worries, man. 4x12s are just tools, and there are many tools available.

lol. Loved it!

Just buy used. A good used 4x12 should go for $400-$500 used, and in good shape. If you can't find one you wan't just be patient something will pop up.

I'm a 4x12 guy, I don't mind moving them around.

ArE yOu TeLlInG mE tHiS iSnT a GoOd DeAl?

6_C1_C5315-7_F0_C-4_E9_D-91_D3-58_D8_CB38_FF97.jpg

Back