Single Channel Build Progress

technomancer":sfusyukd said:
So bumping this as I had a question about the preamp if you don't mind answering. I'm considering building something similar when I finish the Aldrich.

Am I looking at your layout correctly: looks like you inserted Gain 1 after the post 1A 22nF cap and before the 470k-2.2nF/470k voltage divider? Did you stick with the typical 1M audio? Also what did you end up going with for the clipping diodes in this one?

:rock:
the first voltage divider is a 68k/68k with a 1000nf cap paralleling
the 68k to ground. The pot is a 1M reverse audio pot. As for clippers I like 2n5400s for high gain an around 16-20 v zeners for mid gain

Ah ok. I see... missed your earlier post about the gain replacing the 470k/470k but just saw it. That makes sense then and I see how it works. Thanks :thumbsup:

Love reading all this technical stuff and build threads even though i have no idea what im reading. Would love to learn it someday and build some nice stuff. Keep up the good work.

scottosan":35rkggt6 said:
technomancer":35rkggt6 said:
So bumping this as I had a question about the preamp if you don't mind answering. I'm considering building something similar when I finish the Aldrich.

Am I looking at your layout correctly: looks like you inserted Gain 1 after the post 1A 22nF cap and before the 470k-2.2nF/470k voltage divider? Did you stick with the typical 1M audio? Also what did you end up going with for the clipping diodes in this one?

the 68k to ground. The pot is a 1M reverse audio pot. As for clippers I like 2n5400s for high gain an around 16-20 v zeners for mid gain
That's supposed to be 1000pF? :)

SpiderWars":17dijn8u said:
scottosan":17dijn8u said:
technomancer":17dijn8u said:

I just figured that was what it was since the schem has 1nF and the Muratas seem to all be labeled in pF from the assortment I have here :LOL: :LOL:

technomancer":1ggcr1p0 said:
SpiderWars":1ggcr1p0 said:
scottosan":1ggcr1p0 said:
technomancer":1ggcr1p0 said:

I just figured that was what it was since the schem has 1nF and the Muratas seem to all be labeled in pF from the assortment I have here :LOL: :LOL:
correction. Linear on the gains and reverse audio on the volumes

scottosan":1yq34alq said:
technomancer":1yq34alq said:
SpiderWars":1yq34alq said:
scottosan":1yq34alq said:
technomancer":1yq34alq said:

Is there a benefit to running a 1M Linear for a gain pot? What does the 1Meg Reverse audio pot affect, I assume the taper is more gradual on these?

scottosan":64l73nqd said:
technomancer":64l73nqd said:
SpiderWars":64l73nqd said:
scottosan":64l73nqd said:
technomancer":64l73nqd said:

How'd the linears work out for the gain?

Also was about to ask where you found a larger 1M reverse audio but then looked again and realized it looks like a 16mm Alpha.

technomancer":25r6ygar said:
scottosan":25r6ygar said:
SpiderWars":25r6ygar said:
scottosan":25r6ygar said:

How'd the linears work out for the gain?

Also was about to ask where you found a larger 1M reverse audio but then looked again and realized it looks like a 16mm Alpha.
audio tapers will sound bright for most of.sweep. Because of the bright caps, the gains are more like bright controls and the linears provide more balance over that

Back