Which V1 tube for Invader 100 to make CH2 more Marshall like

Speeddemon

Currently I have a Tungsol 12AX7 in V1 of my Invader 100, which is nice, but I think it may have caused Channel 2 to have become too smooth. (It's fine for Channels 1 and 3, plus I can EQ a lot more there)

It doesn't help that I'm playing my Savage 60 most of the time at home, which is a more pissed-off Marshall sound; tight and bright-ish.

Could a tube-swap for the Invader get closer to that Marshall-like 'kerrang' especially in Channel 2?
Note: I'm running KT77's, as I wanted a tad less mids from my Invader than with EL34's.

Also, if something could help de-saturate Channel 4, that would be an added bonus. I hardly use that channel. It almost has a 'fuzz into drive' tone, as it's so saturated.

Never heard an Invader 100. But if you wan't a more pissed sounding cutting tube try a EH 12ax7.

I've never heard an Invader 100, either, but certainly couldn't hurt to try a few different tubes to see if it helps get closer to what you want. I'll second CrazyNuts EH 12AX7 recommendation. Another choice might be a Ruby 12AX7 AC5 HG+. IME, both are great tubes for that kind of sound.

I've never had any success getting any amp to sound like any other amp with tube swaps; both preamp and power tubes. I've definitely gotten an amp to sound much much better, but never any profound change in character. But than again everybody perceives these things differently so YMMV for sure.

MetalHeadMike's right. Changing tubes can change the sound of an amp for the better, or for the worse, but it'll never turn one amp into another. Not even close. So, it really comes down to what you're expecting from the tube swaps. Like you'd stated about changing to KT77 from EL34 for a slight reduction in midrange... that's a good example. It's obviously still an Invader, just one that's been tweaked a little to your preferences. Preamp tubes are much the same, small changes, but sometimes worth it.

I also agree with MetalHeadMike. I never really liked the 2nd channel of the Invader. It kinda sounded like a recording or artificial take on a Marshall and sounded too distanced and compressed. I pretty much just used the 3rd channel when I owned an Invader. I also found the 4th channel kinda fuzzy and loose. I think that channel works best for leads that aren’t too fast

The best Engl’s for getting into the Marshall territory IMO are the Artist Edition and Savage (which you already have). Otherwise just get a Marshall (maybe a modded one for a more aggressive sound)

braintheory":2wj0m7rr said:
I also agree with MetalHeadMike. I never really liked the 2nd channel of the Invader. It kinda sounded like a recording or artificial take on a Marshall and sounded too distanced and compressed.
yes on the recording and perhaps distance sounding, but no on the compressed part, IMO.

I pretty much just used the 3rd channel when I owned an Invader. I also found the 4th channel kinda fuzzy and loose. I think that channel works best for leads that aren’t too fast
110% agreed about the 4th channel. If channel 2 was more Marshall/Savage like and Channel 4 was basically a Mesa Mark IV's lead channel= ENDGAME AMP!

The best Engl’s for getting into the Marshall territory IMO are the Artist Edition and Savage (which you already have). Otherwise just get a Marshall (maybe a modded one for a more aggressive sound)
Yep, when I owned the Savage 60 the first time around, about 15 years ago, I was struggling a bit with good low/mid gain tones. Right now I love rockin' some Lynyrd, Joe Walsh, ZZ Top and AC/DC on the Savage.
I'm not sure if this goes for the Savage 120 as well, but the overall tone improves tremendously if you crank the Lead Channel's volume over 50% and keep the Master lower, opposed to having the Lead Channel volume at 9 'o clock and the Master higher.
I was surprised to see that in Ola's Savage 60 video, he had it set up like that. To me, then the sound becomes too brittle, almost SS distortion like, versus a thicker tube-tone. With the Channel level higher, it's still tight, mind you, but there's more organic-qualities to the tone and body.

I'll give the EH tube a shot then. And perhaps some Sovteks too. Need to get another LPS anyway. :thumbsup:

EH 12AX7 gave nice clarity to be played at bedroom level but if turned loud, the sound was too shrill. But I found TungSol to be too aggressive, too, so you may like it. Give it a try.

I liked RFT ECC83 or TAD 5751 in V1 and I found a Marshall labeled ECC83 that added nice crunch in V2. But overall I found Ch2 quite gainy for low gain/edge of breakup sounds. I had to keep the gain knob really low or I used a single-coiled strat for that type of sound.

Back