Recommend me a Reverb/Delay/mod rack effect unit.

• Thread starter Thread starter adam
  • Start date Start date
while were on this subject can I just ask what effects the Rocktron Xpression has? I'm considering saving for one... I want all the basic effects so, hall, reverb, flanger, chorus, phaser, harmonizer, tremolo and can you edit these e.g different reverb speeds and so you can have a smooth chorus like flanger or so you can have a crazy tremolo like flanger...

thanks

Xpression has:

EQ
Compressor
Delay
Reverb
Phaser
Flanger
Chorus
Tremolo
Pitch Shift
Auto-Pan
Speaker Sim.
Rotary Speaker
Noise Gate

thank you very much for that post, may have to get saving for one of those... any bad things I should note about them?

Xpression Chorus, Delay and Reverb aren't as good as the G-Major or Intellifex. Pitch Shifters are on par with each other. Everything else, the Xpression does better. Xpression doesn't have any reliability issues though, except maybe an LED or two will burn out in about 5+ years.

I'm going to sound like a newbie now but...

To me Flangers/choruses/delays all sound the same other on different settings e.g slow reverb, fast reverb but then again I've never like compaed Boss flanger again digitech flanger for example...

MrDan666":52aaa said:
Thats cool then, if you have the bread to fork out then id get the G-force. It is much more tweakable and for the price, compared to other units of its calibre, is pretty reasonable!

If you want the best, budgets will kill your dream. Eventide H8000FW.

There's a shop in a town not far from me that has a Digitech rack delay/modulation unit for $99. I'm not sure which model it is, but it's a full size unit with built-in flange/phaser/reverb built in.

He also has an old Ibanez delay unit, without the modulation affects, for $69.

Good prices??

So for straight up delay and verb and footswitchable does is the G-sharp or Xpression better? Or sis a pedal just as good for these individual FX?

>|<>QBB<
adam":4a3cb said:
Ok hows the G-force in the verb and delay department, does it beat the MPX1.

I could go for the G-force. how is that unit overall?

OK. I have both the MPX-1 and G-Force and have used them for several years in various rigs so here is a quick run-down :

If you want to use only 1U of effects and needs every kind of effects known to man including intelligent pitch-shift and formant filters then the G-Force is the only way to go.

Now, if you want the best reverb/delay/detune tone, and don't need inteligent pitch-shift then get the MPX-1. The verb in the MPX-1 sounds much much better than the one in the G-Force IMHO and for my own taste. I really hate the verb in the G-Force. The delays in the MPX are stellar as well as the detune stuff. There is no need for a mixer, unlike what other people are telling you here because you can set it up so that the dry tone stays uninterrupted during patch change. No need for a mixer. Also the patch change lag is not as big as some people say. I mean, if you play alone in your bedroom, sure you'll notice it big time but in a band setting nobody will care. Ah yeah. the overall tone of the unit is also much warmer than the G-Force.

Also, both sound better than the various rocktron units (I also have an intellipitch).

Ok from what I have read MPX-1 very difficult to tweak and use. but reverb is great though I read also. My FX loop isn't the greatest JCM 800 2203 reissue. So I kind of what easy to use rack FX but good reverb, is there someting simpler then the MPX-1? Seems like a match up between Xpression and G-Major?

ive had the MPX1 for a couple of months now, at first its tricky, but its actually easy to learn this is my first rack unit, and sounds fantastic. just read the manual. its easy, and the patch lag isnt bad at all, it dont cut ur dry signal.

>|<>QBB<
keano":58b52 said:
Is it reliable enough for live use?

Mine is 10 years old and not a hitch to this day. The screen is as bright as when I bought it. Much more solidly built than TC digital gear. The G-Force front panel feels really flimsy in comparaison. But... I hear the new batches are made in China and less reliable so I guess you could look for a used one with "made in USA" written on the back of the unit. The new one have 24 bits converters though whereas the "made in USA" one have 20 bit converters. 24 bit dynamic is largely overkill for electric guitar anyway and I suspect the old converters were warmer sounding. Buy used in any case...

>|<>QBB<
Code001":8f38a said:
Xpression has:

EQ
Compressor
Delay
Reverb
Phaser
Flanger
Chorus
Tremolo
Pitch Shift
Auto-Pan
Speaker Sim.
Rotary Speaker
Noise Gate

Sorry to bump this but does the G Major have all these too? and do either have a delay when switching effects?/any other bad things I should note that aren't in this thread?

Sorry I ask so many questions. thanks

G-Major has most of them, but not all. It doesn't have the speaker sims, nor the rotary stuff. None really have a delay when switching. There's a very, very slightly lag with my effects processor combo, but it's less than a second.

Curious what type of footswitch do u use with the MPX-1? Is it possible to route some Fx from it in front of amp.

Not possible for effects in front of the amp. I use a Rocktron All Access personally.

>|<>QBB<
keano":fc8b9 said:
Curious what type of footswitch do u use with the MPX-1? Is it possible to route some Fx from it in front of amp.

Any type of midi footswitch will work. If you need effects in front of the amp as well, look into the MPX-G2.

Back