Guys, my right hand (picking) is feeling damn weird!

• Thread starter Thread starter BenoA
  • Start date Start date
BenoA
BenoA
Hi guys,

I don't know if this is normal and I'm curious to know if anyone here has gone throught such weird situation.

It started about a year ago. At that time, I had been using Jazz III picks for a while and suddenly, these picks started to feel weird between my picking fingers (thumb and index). So, back then, I tought I should just change the pick. So after a few tries, I ended up my choice on Dunlop Tortex 1.14 mm.

Recently, well, the weird feeling about the pick as just started again (let's say about 3 months ago). My right hand feels strange, I can't play as fast as I used to. It's like I'm starting all over again to play guitar.

I'm not a regular player. Some days I can play for 30 minutes, others for 3 hours.

For the past few days, I've been playing more as my band got a gig booked (at the last minute) for next saturday September 9th. The weird feeling about my right hand seems to "amplify" and last evening, after a few hours of pratice, my index holding the pick was hurting... weird!!! It's definitely stressing me a lot to feel so uncomfortable with my picking hand. For the rhythms it doesn't bother me much but for those quick solo runs... I'm getting nervous. The only thing I can see to help me out before the gig, will be to hide a few hours before and warm up at a slow pace.

So my Q: Anyone here went thought such a weird phase? If yes, how did you get over it?

Am I getting too old, should I quit and start palying golf???????? :P

BTW, don't venture into the "psychological path" with my situation versus playing live. I don't mind playing in front of people and that weird "right hand" feeling started way way back before the gig was booked. Anyway, the most stressful part of that gig is managing the 2 hours gig of the contract as the band was on a more than 6 months break due to our singer doing a backpack trip in Europe!

So go ahead, comment and discuss! Thanks in advance! :)

Have you changed guitars that have different bridges? I started playing more LP type guitars and my right hand was screwed for months, I could not do anything on my super strats.

Digital Jams":3c50d said:
Have you changed guitars that have different bridges? I started playing more LP type guitars and my right hand was screwed for months, I could not do anything on my super strats.

Good observation buddy! :!:

I bought a cheapo Jackson about 5 months ago with a fixed bridge (LP kinda) and since then, I've been playing it 50/50 with my other guitars with Floyd bridges! :?

Back