Anyone play a Line 6 guitar?

• Thread starter Thread starter daver101
  • Start date Start date
daver101
daver101
I was watching the demo on one of my old Guitar World CD-roms, and it seems like a cool concept. I was mostly curious how they sounded and felt with real tube amps, not the Line 6 stuff. Anyone have any input?

daver101":96fc7 said:
I was watching the demo on one of my old Guitar World CD-roms, and it seems like a cool concept. I was mostly curious how they sounded and felt with real tube amps, not the Line 6 stuff. Anyone have any input?

I would presume it would work best, not sure about sound but work best due to the PodXT Live supporting switches on the presets. I'm pretty sure it would sound good with a tube amp but it won't be 100%.

Bernie Chiaravalle, the guitarist for Michael McDonald, uses one on tour with a Fuchs ODS-50.

I saw them with Steely Dan last month and Bernie sounded terriffic. He was able to play a lot of different styles of music without changing guitars.

I played one of the early 500's and didn't like the neck too much. I haven't tried a 700 but I'm sure I'd still have a neck problem as I like them pretty big. I wouldn't mind having one but I'd have to get a replacement neck from Warmoth.

I have played one for thru a 5150 and thought it was very good (my friend got a stupidly high discount for working for them!). Its probably better through a POD/Line 6 because they have specific patches though.

Its not cork sniffer good, IMO. It wont impress the boutique crew, but I would love one for demos.

Dave,
If you're interested in the Variax, check out this thread:

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19867

One guy seems to have spearheaded this movement, but warmoth now will do the same thing for you...basically he made his own body and neck and routed the body to accept variax guts, then mixed in normal passive pickups in addition. Pretty crazy stuff, I'd love to try it myself someday. At very least I'd be interested in picking up a variax and throwing a warmoth neck on it.

daver101":75352 said:
Are there any tracking issues with playing the guitar?

Neither the Variax nor the tele-ax/prs-ax conversions suffer from tracking issues, from my reading anyway. Definately would like to pick one up to find out for myself. It's basically a piezo pickup though as opposed to a hex pickup fed into a processor or something of that nature...think that probably eliminates a lot of the tracking issues?

Jeff

Yeah, I guess it would. I was really impressed in the Guitar World demo of the 600. As I'm downsizing my collection now, it might fill alot of gaps....

Hi,

I had the same plan to downsize my gear wanted to become "reasonable", bought a 600 played it and with the workbench (great tool), was impressed and sold it 4 weeks later. Why? It was a psychological "problem". The sound is not that bad, and you can make it even better, when you mount a Fender or Warmoth neck. The problem was, that I have to feel the guitar I hear. It is strat-shaped and it doesn't feel like a Les Paul, a 335 or whatsoever. If you have a small stage or you need to protect your gear under special circumstances it is an excellent solution. To have fun and to enjoy an instrument and its character it's not enough...

Hey Dave,

I have a Variax 500. And I find it very useful for recording, and for live stuff that I just don't have access to in real life. Tele style twang, Ricks, 12 string, acoustic, and even the banjo and sitar models are useable. And the acoustic sims sound better than any piezo output I've ever used.

The guitar itself is kinda un-fulfilling to play. It feels like a cheap Washburn or other low-line import. But it is playable.

I think that the guitar excels at doing stuff someone is not used to doing... ie... if you're a chicken-pickin' master, the tele sounds aint gonna do it for you, but the Les-Paul might be close enough for the 2 classic rock songs on your list. Or, if you are a Eric Johnson freak, the Strat ain't gonna set you on fire, but the acoustics, and Jazzbox models can keep you from dragging 3 axes to the gig. Oh, and with the Workbench software, you can change tunings with the turn of a knob.

Palm muting on the Variax is a joke. The bridge mounted pickups simply don't produce the exaggerated bass response of high-gain chugga. So the metalhedz won't be amused.

I use mine with my Vetta, to fill in the spots that my main axes can't. And I like it for that. It's a tool.

Wow! Great responses guys! Lots to consider. I need to go out and try one out.

I really want that PRS variax guitar. I could find a lot of uses for a variax with mag pickups in it as well...and I love the PRS shape. Does he do custom work?

i would like to chime in and say that i was really impressed with the sounds in the variax. and yes, i played the el cheapo 300, but this thing would be a great tool for different tunings as mentioned above. it felt like a squier, though (the 300).

I've got a 700 trem model. I got it to help round out my tone collection. Between session work, the cover bands and hired gun type gigs, and the highly varied styles my home studio clients need there were a lot of tones I needed that I'd never need for my own stuff. It would be insane to pick up a guitar for just one session. The Variax is reaaly useful for that type stuff.

It's also my go to guitar in my cover band. We cover everything from blues, country, pop, classic rock, to hard rock and metalish stuff. I also run mine with a Vetta II half stack. I love having the guitar model and pickup choice saved in Vetta patches. Most nights I rarely even touch my pickup switch.

I run a bank for each virtual rig. In patch A I have the "rig's" clean tone, in B the rhythm tone, and in C & D i have a bridge pickup and neck pickup lead tone. I have an acoustic model patch saved in the favorite patch so I always have access to it. Then I just save a bank for each style or tuning and name the bank accordingly. The fun part is that you can have your clean tone using a strat in pos 2 or 4 with a cool chorus and verb and then switch to a dry LP sound in the bridge for the rhythm to whatever pick up on whatever guitar for a lead tone all without touching the switch. Just hit the footcontroller and go!

For my original stuff live I use it for the songs that switch back and forth fron acoustic to electric and for all the one off tunings. It saves me from taking several guitars and back ups to each show.

Using the workbench and edit for the Vetta is great. I just save the bundles for he Vetta & Variax for each band or project and then load them up during set up for whatever gig / session I'm doing. I already carry a junker laptop with me to all my gigs that has all my cheat charts, set lists, and business contacts on it so I just have the bundles backed up on it in case they're are any software meltdowns on site.

In the studio I use all the guitar models for the clients that have shit gear and need a certain tone. It beats the hell out of having to run down a strat or tele for a track they need when I'd never use it again. I use the hell out of the acoustic models though as they are a great direct to tape "fake acoustic" that kills any piezo tone I've heard. The 12 string models track a little funny but you just have to play a little more accurate.

I ended up buying the 700 with trem but kind of regret it. I was terrified that the cheaper models would play like shit and I'd hate them so I went with the high end one. It's not terrible but I paid too much for it considering it has the same guts as the cheaper ones. It's a decent guitar but I don't think it's that much nicer for the extra cost.

I'd also recommend not getting the trem model. I switched out the tuners to planet wave auto trims and it's still not terribly stable. I'll probably end up swapping the nut out too. Again, not a big issue if you went with a cheaper model but after paying over a grand for the 700 it sucks to have to drop even more cash.

Like others have said, the palm muting sucks on it but have you ever tried to palm mute on a piezo? You're limited there by it is what it is. Fortunately I already have guitars that palm mute just fine.

I only a tube rig for a few weeks after I got mine so it didn't get intensive study but it sounded pretty good. I personally think it sounds better with my Vetta rig but it could just be that I didn't have time with it and the Randall MTS rig I had prior to the Vetta.

The interaction between the Variax and either a Line 6 Vetta or POD XTL is worth taking a look at though. I needed the full tweakability so I went with a Vetta rig but a Variax/XTL combo would be a hard to beat grab and go rig.

If I had it to do over, I'd have picked up a cheaper model and an XTL for what I paid for mine but I don't regret buying the one I've got either. It plays pretty well and it IS a beautiful guitar. Overall, it's a handy tool to have for either live or studio or both. I wouldn't expect it to replace a huge collection of guitars but if you're like me where you only need certain tones once in a while it's a Godsend.

Hope that helped.

:mrgreen:

digwhisper":11520 said:
excellent review

Hey man, thanks for taking the time for the review. Save the palm muting, whats your main grip with the playability of the guitar? Would something like a warmoth neck cure some of it?

Jeff

I actually don't have any problems with the playability. You're stuck with the neck they give you and I'm more of an Ibanez Wizard kind of guy but the guitar plays pretty well. I'd say the quality of the guitar itself (not taking the Variax guts into account) is about the quality of a solid Korean made guitar.

For what I paid for it, I'd hoped for a little better but it's not a deal breaker. I just think they're a lot better value either going with a lower model and Warmothing it or just living with the neck and giving it a good set up.

The palm mute thing is simply a design issue, I think they'll work it out eventually.

daver101":a145f said:
Wow! Great responses guys! Lots to consider. I need to go out and try one out.

I tried one at a local Sam Ash, and I could have picked it up with my friend's employee discount -- but it just didn't feel right... Different guitars have different string responses and having a guitar that behaves in one way but giving different sounds just felt too odd for me...

I guess some would want the uniformity, but I just don't want my Gibson to feel like a strat, or a Ric or a weird homoglamation of various guitars.

c

Back