Tom Morello sucks in a big way...

danyeo":8608b said:

Really! I thought the singer is Tesla was perfect for that band. He had a rough voice but it fit that Blue Jeans/Tshirt style of Tesla.

I am not much for vocals anyways and I did not mind him on their big albun but that acoustic album just pierces my head.

ke2":1bcdc said:

Sounds like a bunch of large people of African decent working very fast as gardeners!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!

Telephant":db217 said:
This thread proves just how out of touch some of you are with todays music.

You better not be talking about me punk :x

Jamming to APC right now 8)

SgtThump":d5070 said:

AMEN! I agree about his rhythms and grooves. That part is cool (not hard at all, but cool). But yeah, other than that, the guy is an idiot.

You wont get any arguements from me Thump! I think the guy writes some really cool grooves but he is not a lead player and should nix trying to do solos.

And Shea... I'm very in touch with todays music. I like a lot of the newer stuff that has come out. The fact still remains is that Morello is not a lead player no matter how you try and spin things. His strenghts are grooves and rhythm.

well hell if you guys are going to make ridiculous absolutes I might as well join in. :roll: :lol:

He has plenty of bad ass solo's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRfTeQd4dVI

Yeah it doesnt sound conventional but its not supposed to.

Telephant":4c232 said:
well hell if you guys are going to make ridiculous absolutes I might as well join in. :roll: :lol:

He has plenty of bad ass solo's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRfTeQd4dVI

Yeah it doesnt sound conventional but its not supposed to.

You need to stop smoking pot bro!!!. That solo sucked donkey balls. There is a reason why HE HAS TO USE an octave pedal for the solo. It has nothing to do with playing out of the box, it is because he has absolutely NO finger tone at all. Dude... If you dig him then its fine ...truly but don't tell someone that he is a good solist and put up a clip of him playing a second year students pentattonic lick with no feel and an assload of effects. RHYTHM and groove is his game .........not solos.
If that solo speaks to you, then great.. I'm happy, but not all of us will be amused with entry level playing.

I gotta agree with Ralph. I don't think Morello even has a vibrato.

On a different subject. Zach De La Rocha was a killer frontman. I loved the timbre of his voice. I don't think he's ever going to release anything new, unfortunately.

The two solos that I love by Morello are the ones to "Take the Power Back" and "Know Your Enemy." I used to be able to play them but my lead playing sucks now.

defpearlpilot":a03d9 said:
The two solos that I love by Morello are the ones to "Take the Power Back" and "Know Your Enemy." I used to be able to play them but my lead playing sucks now.

You know Brother andrew... The truth is that I like Morello and Rage! I really do ,but a lead player he is not.... Which is ok.. I just don;t want people telling me that he can play a lead when he can't. If he could.. I would be the first person to say so.

Gainfreak":eae34 said:

You know Brother andrew... The truth is that I like Morello and Rage! I really do ,but a lead player he is not.... Which is ok.. I just don;t want people telling me that he can play a lead when he can't. If he could.. I would be the first person to say so.

Ralph, I agree with you. But there are a few solos of his that I do like.

j666":99513 said:

or? i'm allowed to have an opinion, am i not? i didn't say it was "fact", i'm not mega. i just simply stated my opinion and that's all it was. if you don't like it, just ignore it my man. :2thumbs:
Or Ill taunt you :wink: Sure , youre welcomed to an opinion but comparing Morello to ANYTHING Jimi is just plain ignorance... The both play guitar, thats where the comparisons stop and even thats stretching it...

Ralphie hit it on the head ; Love Morello for what he does, not what he doesnt....

BTW, Im a Rage fan as well

defpearlpilot":3c978 said:

Ralph, I agree with you. But there are a few solos of his that I do like.

Well Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day... so I guessit is possible to like a Morello solo!!! :hys:

BTW... Where is Shea? I totally wanted him to yell at me :D

Gainfreak":f5ff6 said:

It has nothing to do with playing out of the box, it is because he has absolutely NO finger tone at all..

Alright now thats the most convincing arguement Ive heard. I can agree with that. I wouldnt say he doesnt have any finger tone, but he definitely lacks dynamics there.

However I still think his note choice is entertaining. I will agree though, when I play a RATM solo I definitely "jazz it up" a bit.

I hate his communist politics...but, the guy is trying to approach the guitar from a unique angle...I guess it would be pretty easy to stand on the sideline and judge this guy as an incapable guitar player...but I think that isn't fair or the case...he is deliberately tring to break conventional molds and try unique and strange things...like with Hendrix and other innovative creative types of personalities, not everything is going to work...and some things are going to be down right trainwrecks...I appreciate his 'art' as an extension of his personality, and accept him as such.

Echoes":7dba0 said:
I hate his communist politics...but, the guy is trying to approach the guitar from a unique angle...I guess it would be pretty easy to stand on the sideline and judge this guy as an incapable guitar player...but I think that isn't fair or the case...he is deliberately tring to break conventional molds and try unique and strange things...like with Hendrix and other innovative creative types of personalities, not everything is going to work...and some things are going to be down right trainwrecks...I appreciate his 'art' as an extension of his personality, and accept him as such.

That's the part that some guys just don't get. I think he is trying to do something like the Edge did. It's not clean tradition playing but it's completely outside the box and as a result, not many people sound like him.

I still stand by my opinion that the guy can play, he just chooses not to. And since he's been in RATM and Audioslave when he has the time restraints and pressure of touring and making albums and a million things that go along with it, i wonder how much time he really has to sit down and practice.

danyeo":d7011 said:

That's the part that some guys just don't get. I think he is trying to do something like the Edge did. It's not clean tradition playing but it's completely outside the box and as a result, not many people sound like him.

I still stand by my opinion that the guy can play, he just chooses not to. And since he's been in RATM and Audioslave when he has the time restraints and pressure of touring and making albums and a million things that go along with it, i wonder how much time he really has to sit down and practice.

I really do not listen to him but I am a little surprised that you are into him being the barn burner you are. I would rather listen to Dave Martone all day.

STEEL KAGE":c3da0 said:
Or Ill taunt you :wink: Sure , youre welcomed to an opinion but comparing Morello to ANYTHING Jimi is just plain ignorance... The both play guitar, thats where the comparisons stop and even thats stretching it...

Ralphie hit it on the head ; Love Morello for what he does, not what he doesnt....

BTW, Im a Rage fan as well

sall good homie! we all like different shit, different players and whatnot. ignorance it may be but it might also be different ears. :D
funny thing is, i'm not a huge rage fan. i liked the first 2 albums but i never thought they were the shit or anything. personally, i think muhammed suicmez and jeff loomis smoke tom morello on guitar.

oh yeah...for the record, i fukken HATE audioslave. 2 decent bands break up to form 1 shitty band...*sighs*...total bummer.

Back