Tom Morello sucks in a big way...

I thought I remember reading an article back in the 90's about how Morello could shred but purposely chose not to because it wasn't cool anymore or something like that, lol :headbash:

Shiny_Surface":7919f said:
I thought I remember reading an article back in the 90's about how Morello could shred but purposely chose not to because it wasn't cool anymore or something like that, lol :headbash:

like rivers cuomo from weezer? never read that but my little brother saw weezer a few times and was telling me about his guitar solo in the mid of the set and he broke into eruption and nailed it.
i read an interview with him once that said he was an ex-shred guy that left the shred behind to write better songs. i don't know, it is always better to know more cuz you can always play less.

Shiny_Surface":ed73b said:

Yes, the story is in the new Guitar World. I'm uploading a solo from the new CD that shows that he does has the ability to shred a little bit.

Digital Jams":eab01 said:

I really do not listen to him but I am a little surprised that you are into him being the barn burner you are. I would rather listen to Dave Martone all day.

Do you know who Morello's favorite guitar is?

<<<<<<<<<<<

Shiny_Surface":733cf said:

GP couple of months back said something that he can burn. This is why I am not saying anything about his playing, maybe he can rip :)

danyeo":8a019 said:

Yes, the story is in the new Guitar World. I'm uploading a solo from the new CD that shows that he does has the ability to shred a little bit.

GP couple of months ago, I will look for it tonight but the articule was saying that back in time he can freaking shred his ass off.

danyeo":4ecc1 said:

Do you know who Morello's favorite guitar is?

<<<<<<<<<<<

JP???? Someone from NJ??

You and Ivan???? :D

SgtThump":55f50 said:

I bet I've heard that a hundred times on the message boards. So far, nobody has been able to show me a single example that was impressive (to me).

I never heard it but that is what they said :? It is stated in GP for what it is worth.

Digital Jams":09f7e said:

JP???? Someone from NJ??

You and Ivan???? :D

STEVE VAI. He said he worships Vai. Like i said earlier, Morello dragged a bunch of his friends to a G3 concert and he said he was like a kid in a candy store while his friends were all bored. He mentioned how blown away he was.

danyeo":9648d said:

STEVE VAI. He said he worships Vai. Like i said earlier, Morello dragged a bunch of his friends to a G3 concert and he said he was like a kid in a candy store while his friends were all bored. He mentioned how blown away he was.

Thats all well and good and I am happy that he likes shred.. Truly. But show me anything about his playing where he blows off a excellent....even Good lead. I know this is highly subjective and I really don't care aif there is a lead in a tune especially these days but..... If people are gonna say that Morella can shred.. Let's here it. He is in the Mick Mars catagory IMHO. Not that it's a bad thing but I'm gonna have to say if people tout something then they need to back it up. i'm not hearing anything that tells me that he is a prolific lead player. Love some of his grooves and tunage but leads....Nope.. Not gonna go there.

Gainfreak":bde87 said:

Thats all well and good and I am happy that he likes shred.. Truly. But show me anything about his playing where he blows off a excellent....even Good lead. I know this is highly subjective and I really don't care aif there is a lead in a tune especially these days but..... If people are gonna say that Morella can shred.. Let's here it. He is in the Mick Mars catagory IMHO. Not that it's a bad thing but I'm gonna have to say if people tout something then they need to back it up. i'm not hearing anything that tells me that he is a prolific lead player. Love some of his grooves and tunage but leads....Nope.. Not gonna go there.

IMHO, this is a good lead. It's off the new Audioslave CD. Sure it's simple but remember that millions of people are going to buy this CD and they will get a small dose of a little shreddy lead.

http://www.musicv2.com/stream.php?id=22398

danyeo":066b7 said:

IMHO, this is a good lead. It's off the new Audioslave CD. Sure it's simple but remember that millions of people are going to buy this CD and they will get a small dose of a little shreddy lead.

Now that chromatic riff was very cool but Danny that other stuff just did not do it for me. That riff was very clean though. Maybe he can rip :?

danyeo":9348a said:

the guy is a solid player for that genre...I like him...I especially like that he doesn't 'overplay' his parts..Cornell is the star of that band.

Gainfreak":4895c said:

Why do you have to be a "prolific" player to play lead? I dont get it. Just because someone doesnt have crazy amounts of technical ability doesnt mean they cant write an entertaining lead part.

Hendrix leads are easy to play and he's God. :?

Telephant":ad6a0 said:

Why do you have to be a "prolific" player to play lead? I dont get it. Just because someone doesnt have crazy amounts of technical ability doesnt mean they cant write an entertaining lead part.

Hendrix leads are easy to play and he's God. :?

Thats not my arguement bro. My argument is that people have been saying that Morello can shred for years and I never heard him shred. The clip that Danny just posted was the best that I ever heard him play.

danyeo":94c94 said:

The best thing that he has ever done! (lead wise)

Gainfreak":0d565 said:

The best thing that he has ever done! (lead wise)

I agree, its the best thing iv heard him play. But its not proof that he can shred, when most seem to believe he can!

Telephant":8d9a6 said:
well hell if you guys are going to make ridiculous absolutes I might as well join in. :roll: :lol:

He has plenty of bad ass solo's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRfTeQd4dVI

Yeah it doesnt sound conventional but its not supposed to.

:? My 12 y/o neighbor could play that crap. You must be joking, right?

Pure rubbish.

I'll by my neighbor a $20 stomp box octave divider and post it.

I guess as guitar players we are the toughest crowd to please, hence my bad problem of getting cock block when I play in front of people.

So we are being harsh with TM for not being able to rip but then we go and hammer rusty Cooley for too much shred.

We kill that Ferrari kid for putting too much time into shred but say Mick Mars can't shred.

We blame guitarists for staying safely inside the box but nail Vai for being way over board.

The way we talk there are only 8-10 guys on the planet that have a good vibrato.

Some thing GG is a God and some do not think much of him.

We are a funny bunch :D

Back