OT: Can You Drive A Manual Transmission?

• Thread starter Thread starter Code001
  • Start date Start date
Code001
Code001
Just out of curiosity...

Can you drive a manual transmission?
Is your daily driver a manual or automatic?
Do you prefer a manual or automatic?

I found out quite a few American teens cannot drive a manual, yet almost all Europeans can. For me, I can drive one (my daily driver is a manual so I drive a manual about every day), but I prefer automatics for daily driving and drag racing. I prefer manuals for road racing and auto-crossing.

Oh, if you can, state your age too. If you don't wanna reveal that, it's fine.

I'm 33, and I've been driving a manual Transmission since I was 10. I learned to drive at 10 (Farm boy) in a '75 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. Right now my main vehicle is a Ford F250 that has an automatic, but my car which I'm in the process of rebuilding is a very modified '86 Mustang GT with a Manual. For the most part, I prefer Manual, but there are times when an automatic is damn nice.

i drove a manual for years. then i realized i can drive without having to shift and it was over from there. :D

i prefer auto...why shift when you don't have to? yeah...i'm lazy. :D

What kind of motor is gonna be in the 86 and are you sticking with the T5 and upgrading it, or are you gonna bump up to a stronger one like the TKO?

I'm thinking about buying a 95 cobra

I don't think I'll ever buy another automatic - manual is so much more fun!

I can drive a manual, but only learned about 4 years ago.

I have always driven automatics. Its fun to drive manuals ever once in a while, but I wouldn't want one in Chicago traffic.

Late 20's here

MakeThemSuffer":30b59 said:
I'm thinking about buying a 95 cobra

I don't think I'll ever buy another automatic - manual is so much more fun!

Save up and buy a 97. Better motor IMO, but it'll be a little harder to work on. However, it'll have more HP and the aftermarket is roughly the same. 96s have cooling issues, and unless they were updated, you'll have cooling issues too, which is why I didn't suggest those. 95 was the last year of the 5.0 with 96 introducing the 4.6L DOHC motor.

Code001":1147d said:
What kind of motor is gonna be in the 86 and are you sticking with the T5 and upgrading it, or are you gonna bump up to a stronger one like the TKO?

I've already got the motor about where I want it. 302 bored 30 over, with a ported GT-40 Cobra intake, on ported '69 351 Windsor heads that have the smaller combustion chamber an larger valves and the heads have been planed .20 so my compression ratio is about 10.4:1. 24 lb injectors, Larger Mass air and throttle body (Don't remember now what I put on it, I think they're 75mm) 1 5/8 inch headers into non convertor H-pipe with Flowmasters. I've got a B303 camshaft in it now, but I'm going to get an X303 for it. It's been a while since I did it, there's a few other things that I'm forgetting I'm sure.

I'm going to get a TKO or Tremec transmission for it. I'm on my 3rd T-5 now, so I want something stronger. It's got 3.73 gears, HP Motorsports lift bars of some kind, again I don't remember, and sub frame connectors. but I want to get a strut tower brace, and some poly bushing for it too.

I first car ('78 Super Beetle) was a manual. My current daily driver ('97 Dodge Ram, reg cab short bed, 318) is also a manual. I'm 31, and I prefer a manual.

I don't believe in strut tower braces personally as they just make it harder to work on the motor. Look at Griggs (leader in Mustang road-racing suspension) and you'll see they never use them. Maximum Motorsports has them, but I still say they're a gimmick. I had one stock, and I threw it in the trash; felt no difference other than I lost about 15 lbs off the front end. How much power do you plan on making? About 350-400 at the wheels?

29. i can drive a manual. like cruising around town in a manual, but for the daily driving dig the automatic.

Code001":cc0e6 said:
Just out of curiosity...

Can you drive a manual transmission? yes
Is your daily driver a manual or automatic? Manual
Do you prefer a manual or automatic? Manual

I found out quite a few American teens cannot drive a manual...
Very true. Adults too.

The first car I drove was my moms old station wagon which was auto. When I was in college I learned how to drive a manual in my roomates VW bug. Every car I've owned since then has been manual. Manuals are actually much more difficult to find than autos (at least around here). When I bought my last car (new from the dealer) they had tons of the model I wanted in auto, but only one in manual, and it had just been delivered the night before so I lucked out getting it. He said they get about one a month.

I can't stand autos though, puts me to sleep and my left foot keeps floating up whenever I come to a stop. Just doesn't feel right. I'm weird though.

I drive manual...My first car when I was 16 was an auto...after that I switched to manual. I'm now on my second manual. First off, it's a good thing to know...For different reasons, but there's always the..."what if you're friend is dying in the street and you only have a manual car!@#$!@#$",but for me, I just prefer it. you have more control over your car...Oh and I'm 21.

-Joe

Yep - learned on a manual (my sister's car, then later my truck)

I prefer automatics for bigger cars and bigger engines, but only because I'd burn the tires off it otherwise :D

Daily driver is an automatic, but my truck is a standard. Liz and I car-pool, since she works about 5 miles down the road from my work and she has to drive by it anyway, one deciding factor is my truck as 120K on it, and I need to change out the timing belt. 2.6L engines are a bitch =/

Anyhow, I'm 28, but was driving a standard when I was 14 (learning w/ sister), then 17-18, then again 24-present.

Yup....I'm 33 and I've had about 5-6 cars with that where manual. I'd get another one in a second, but my wife can't stand to drive them...eventhough she knows how to

:hump:

yes
manual, although I don't drive it daily
manual, although an auto doesn't drive me nuts.

Learned to drive a stick on an '86 suburban. My first (and current) car is a 5 speed manual.

I'm 24.

Since we're saying when we first learned how to drive one, I guess I should state mine. It was when I was 14 years old, and I learned on my brother's 944. That car was such a piece of crap and slow as shit, but it handled nicely. I first learned how to drive at 13 with my dad's 91 Suburban.

Code001":1931d said:
I don't believe in strut tower braces personally as they just make it harder to work on the motor. Look at Griggs (leader in Mustang road-racing suspension) and you'll see they never use them. Maximum Motorsports has them, but I still say they're a gimmick. I had one stock, and I threw it in the trash; felt no difference other than I lost about 15 lbs off the front end. How much power do you plan on making? About 350-400 at the wheels?

The older Mustangs like mine benefit from them a bit more, as they're not built as solid as the newer ones. I don't know if it needs it or not, but I'm not any hurry on that part.

350-400 is right where I'm aiming. I want the power for acceleration, but I also want it to be a daily driver, and I want it to handle well in Corners etc. I'm not worried about trying to be the fastest car around, I just want to have some fun that I can say I did myself. Besides, if I feel the need to go faster, I've got a ZX9R that's modded to about 150+ hp at the rear wheel and weighs 435 lbs. 8)

yup,, this one is a stick (6 speed). Not my daily driver; I drive it when it's nice out. It's a blast! Oh, and I have since dropped the vanity plate after a run in with a cop who remembered seeing the plate earlier.
car_bobo_car_new.jpg

Back