OT: Can You Drive A Manual Transmission?

• Thread starter Thread starter Code001
  • Start date Start date
34, have driven sticks since 15 when I learned on a '69 Datsun 510. My current ride is a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 5 speed.

I have had a bunch of cars, most with sticks. I break it down like this, 4 or 6 cyl get a stick. 8cyl can have an auto.

Of course, depending on the car that's a loose rule. For example I drove a twin turbo Supra for a while where the auto made the car much quicker, less turbo spin down between shifts.

I learned how to drive on a stick. Bought my first truck with a juice box two years ago.

I'm 36.

I have 2 of the same car. One manual one auto. One toy one work.
(89 Mazda MX6 GT w/various mods to turbo system, etc. ((12.31 car!)) and another 89 MX6 but 4-door/626 w/not quite as much boost and a hatchback for guitar gear)
I am late 28 and am a Mazda Freak!

Mudder":3256f said:
34, have driven sticks since 15 when I learned on a '69 Datsun 510. My current ride is a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 5 speed.

I have had a bunch of cars, most with sticks. I break it down like this, 4 or 6 cyl get a stick. 8cyl can have an auto.

Of course, depending on the car that's a loose rule. For example I drove a twin turbo Supra for a while where the auto made the car much quicker, less turbo spin down between shifts.
102homer16-3.jpg

DASTUN 510's are mean cars!

Can you drive a manual transmission? Yes
Is your daily driver a manual or automatic? Automatic
Do you prefer a manual or automatic? No preference
Age? 23

If I ever drive an automatic for some godforsaken reason I usually put the clutch in (the brake pedal) and almost get into/cause an accident at some point or another. Make mine a manual... 4 manual cars right now. I actually have a 5th that's automatic because I got it for $5K less than a manual with everything else being equal (my wife loves it though :( )

Motorcycles count? haha.. 8 yrs old on a thing called a Gemini 80. haha..

Started at 12 with automatic, then 1st car was manual 71 mustang. then moved to a 3 speed van (mid engine). then automatics from there on out..

Never been without a motorcycle. so I get the clutch fun there. motorcycles just give the rush I like of acceleration and a cheaper cost.

age 43, and my ticket count is higher than my age. :o

tjon":032ec said:

102homer16-3.jpg

DASTUN 510's are mean cars!

Mine was canary yellow, formula libra wheels, Datsun racing 5 speed trans, dual Mikuni sidedraft carbs, full Bilstein susp, great driving car, always ran and ran great. I should never have sold it.

I'm 25 and I've been driving stick since I bought a '99 Jetta around five years ago. I've got an '03 Cavalier now with the Getrag 5-speed. I always feel weird when I get into an automatic car, though it is nicer for the stop/go bullshit here in Illinois. I got the Cav because the Jetta was literally a Mexican made piece of shit with wheels attached. I would never buy another VW, and I sincerely hope nobody else here would either. Their QC amounts to a disenfranchised Mexican paid purely in tequila.

And that's assuming he shows up to work.

I've had the Cav since 2005; it hasn't given me any problems yet (hopefully). I'm at that magic 50,000 mile mark where you see if the car is going to fall apart or not :) I will say this, as cheap as these cars are made, GM really did put a good-feeling transmission in. It may not be geared the way I like (of course, if it was I'd be hitting 5k RPM in fourth gear at around 70mph...), but it's about ten times less sloppy than that Jetta.

Oh, to answer your question, I'd say in most cases I prefer manual. Usually the time I hate it the most is in rush hour traffic; in those cases I just leave it in 2nd gear and give it more gas starting off the line. Kinda like driving in the snow, actually :D

i have a 99 Altima 5 speed...modded LMAO! mostly did it to learn about working on cars. my first car was an 87 Honda Accord LX-i 5 speed (moms old car) and i LOVED that thing. great car...then i got a 98 Dakota auto and hated the auto...i hate anything auto its boring as hell to drive IMO. i dont have any trouble in stop and go with a manual.

15-16 learned to drive on the Honda, got the Altima in 2001. only had the Dakota a short while before i hydroplaned and flipped it.

oh, the Altima will hold my 4x12 and 5150 head in the trunk :D not now, i have a sub back there, but it can!

im 26, btw!

Yes
Automatic
Automatic because they car bought was my dads old car and that is an auto

It seems like everyone on this forum knows how to drive a manual. Either that or those who can't aren't replying to this thread.

I can drive a manual if I have to...might be ugly for a couple seconds though.
I have an automatic.
I'm 22.
I'm lazy.
I should rock at driving a manual.
But I don't.
Cause nobody ever wants to let you "learn" in their car...

Manual for me. I've driven a lot of autos - just recently a BMW 530 for a couple of days. Man, that car was a real disapointment! Shure, it goes up to 250, but it's not much fun to drive. All the time More comfortable - yes. But inferior in all other aspects.

Code001":330bb said:
Just out of curiosity...

Can you drive a manual transmission?
Is your daily driver a manual or automatic?
Do you prefer a manual or automatic?

I found out quite a few American teens cannot drive a manual, yet almost all Europeans can. For me, I can drive one (my daily driver is a manual so I drive a manual about every day), but I prefer automatics for daily driving and drag racing. I prefer manuals for road racing and auto-crossing.

Oh, if you can, state your age too. If you don't wanna reveal that, it's fine.

Alot of people who care about performance drive manuals.

Back in college I drove a manual, a beater Dodge Horizon hatchback :D

It's been so long since then I'm sure I would be quite rusty at it :lol:

stick !
ride 51 ford F 100 total restoreation and mod price 32 grand
360 lincon mark V bored 30 over / lowered / rearend cut to 38 inch's
dual electric fuel pumps :twisted: MPG 9 highway 5 city
everything is custom rebuilt

and waiting for my 15 year old son to graduate
see after i send him to collage he wont be comeing home evry weekend :twisted:

My daily driver is a Civic with 5 speed manual. I learned to drive manual late in life (I'm 34 and had this car a few years now). It was something I always wanted to learn but never had the opertunity, so I figured the only way was to buy a car with a manual transmission. It will probably be my last manual car, since my wife has knee problems and finds it painful to drive.

Back