OT: Can You Drive A Manual Transmission?

• Thread starter Thread starter Code001
  • Start date Start date
i'm 23, and own 2 manuals. a 96 ford ranger and a 93 honda del sol. I prefer them over automatics anyday.

I'm 40 and have never owned an automatic.

It's a bitch finding a standard SUV too! :cry:

I'm 18 and I drive manual every day, my daily driver is my mustang gt, and my preference is easily manual.

DSCN0586.jpg

Code001":e5591 said:
Can you drive a manual transmission? Yes
Is your daily driver a manual or automatic? Automatic
Do you prefer a manual or automatic? Manual

I am 30, learned to drive @ 14 on my Uncle's '70 Nova SS (4 on the floor).

I am on my 4th main car, and since I've been 15 all I have owned have been manuals.

Alas... my wife HATES driving manuals, and owns a small, automatic Scion. We added the dreaded minivan a couple of months ago, and they are pretty much all automatics...

Anyway, my left foot will thank me once tourist season starts down here 8)

I'm 32 and I prefer to drive a manual. It cuts down on the amount of people that ask to borrow my car.

orangekick":142ab said:
I'm 32 and I prefer to drive a manual. It cuts down on the amount of people that ask to borrow my car.

+1!!

Code001":4f46d said:

Save up and buy a 97. Better motor IMO, but it'll be a little harder to work on. However, it'll have more HP and the aftermarket is roughly the same. 96s have cooling issues, and unless they were updated, you'll have cooling issues too, which is why I didn't suggest those. 95 was the last year of the 5.0 with 96 introducing the 4.6L DOHC motor.

96 was a definitely a bad year. I wouldnt mind a 95 5.0 though

I drove my friends 93 5.0 with a blower on it the other day.. I drove sideways for about a 1/4 mile. :lol:

Code001":dc63b said:
Just out of curiosity...

Can you drive a manual transmission?
Is your daily driver a manual or automatic?
Do you prefer a manual or automatic?

Yes
Auto
Auto

Code001":0e6a7 said:
Just out of curiosity...

Can you drive a manual transmission?
Is your daily driver a manual or automatic?
Do you prefer a manual or automatic?

I found out quite a few American teens cannot drive a manual, yet almost all Europeans can. For me, I can drive one (my daily driver is a manual so I drive a manual about every day), but I prefer automatics for daily driving and drag racing. I prefer manuals for road racing and auto-crossing.

Oh, if you can, state your age too. If you don't wanna reveal that, it's fine.

I'm 36, my daily driver is a six speed manual. Yup, I prefer a manual.

Pete

Bob Savage":2af09 said:
Yeah its hard to drive stick and eat cheese fries at the same time. :lol:

Telephant":192ec said:

Um, no, it's really not. :twisted:

Code001":8fee4 said:
Just out of curiosity...

I found out quite a few American teens cannot drive a manual, yet almost all Europeans can.

Don't they teach that at driving school? Here in Finland you couldn't even choose between automatic or manual. It was manual or no license.

I drive manual but don't really care if it's automatic or manual. For me cars are just a way to get from A to B.

Telephant":65b5d said:

If you were any good at driving stick, you could eat just about anything while driving. :D

Hell I can eat and talk on a cell while driving stick. Its all about mastering tyhe technique wheree you steer with your left elbow while shifting with your left hand. I call it the reach around. :lol:

Telephant":58dd5 said:
Hell I can eat and talk on a cell while driving stick. Its all about mastering tyhe technique wheree you steer with your left elbow while shifting with your left hand. I call it the reach around. :lol:
Haha, yeah, I've done that too! The only real problem is on corners .. for some reason, on a city intersection, my car needs to be switched to 2nd gear right at the apex of the turn, which makes it that much more interesting.

Telephant":d1494 said:

Awesome. I never would have thought to give it a name. lol

I was just messing with you anyway. :roll:

I got my license in 1966. My first car was an automatic. Since then I've only owned manual transmissions except for tow vehicles for my race cars. If I lived in LA I'd probably have an automatic for my daily driver just to deal with traffic but that's the only reason I could envision something without a clutch.

LaXu":3556b said:

Don't they teach that at driving school? Here in Finland you couldn't even choose between automatic or manual. It was manual or no license.

I drive manual but don't really care if it's automatic or manual. For me cars are just a way to get from A to B.

Nope, they don't. I heard that in Britain, they even have separate licenses for an automatic and a manual. Here, you can choose any car you want, drive on some small course for like 10 minutes and you got your license.

I can drive Manual, and power shift with the best of them. But when it comes down to drag racing, nothing beats an Auto. For track racing, enduro, etc...Manual is the way to go.
Daily driver-Dodge van-Auto
Daily driver 2000 SS Camaro(535RWHP)-Auto
Track car-68 ChevellSS 1800+RWHP- 2 speed powerglide Auto...:D

Steve

Back