OT: Can You Drive A Manual Transmission?

• Thread starter Thread starter Code001
  • Start date Start date
Why don't they put clutchless manuals in common vehicles?

Don't some racecars have those?

Shiny_Surface":82092 said:
Why don't they put clutchless manuals in common vehicles?

Don't some racecars have those?

They sell cars like that but they're basically still an automatic, you just tell it when to shift instead of it deciding for itself. Not very common but they're out there. I tried one and it was just weird. I think the technology is different from what the racecars use though. I'm not sure but I think the race cars still have a clutch, but you can shift without using it. Actually you can shift a regular street manual without using the clutch but it's kinda rough... ;)

tommythelurker":8445a said:

They sell cars like that but they're basically still an automatic, you just tell it when to shift instead of it deciding for itself. Not very common but they're out there. I tried one and it was just weird. I think the technology is different from what the racecars use though. I'm not sure but I think the race cars still have a clutch, but you can shift without using it. Actually you can shift a regular street manual without using the clutch but it's kinda rough... ;)

i think some Astin-Martins have a manual-automatic...basically, its a manual transmission controlled by computer, no clutch pedal, but you can either paddle shift or let it do it automatically. many higher end cars have similar systems (called Sequential Transmissions because they are like a motorcycle tranny...you cant skip gears, only go 1-2-3-4-5 etc...but they have a clutch pedal as well.)

reason they arent on more lower cost vehicles? price! a regular old manual is much cheaper. it is true you dont need the clutch pedal to shift a sequential, or even regular manual. on my Nissan its a bitch to shift sans clutch, unless i get the RPMs just right (rev matching...heel/toe technique is fun!) but on a Honda...those trannies are so buttery smooth that you can do it quite easily...at least i can. i guess im just used to the notchy Nissan tranny.

the main reason its hard to shift without the clutch in a normal street car? tolerances. they are too tight (hahaha!) to really be effective at powershifting quickly. race trannies actually have a bit more slop in the shifting mechanisms to allow them to slide into gear easier.

ok...enough tech talk. my brain already hurts LOL but, summary...tiptronic (manually controlled automatic) is much different than a sequential manual transmission...you get the easier and more error free shifting of an automatic, with nearly none of the power-robbing effects of the auto. however, in a drag race where you want consistency (and you have high amounts of power) you would want an auto...2 speed powerglides are VERY popular with drag racers. i prefer autocross and road racing myself...but if i dragged with someone who had a slightly better car, yet didnt know how to drive a manual worth a shit, id probably beat the snot out of him. drivers make a HUGE difference when it comes to manuals :twisted:

Mudder":a84de said:

Mine was canary yellow, formula libra wheels, Datsun racing 5 speed trans, dual Mikuni sidedraft carbs, full Bilstein susp, great driving car, always ran and ran great. I should never have sold it.

:megaeek:

orangekick":18878 said:

I was just messing with you anyway. :roll:

Yeah I know. I just wanted to tell you guys how much I enjoy reach arounds. my bad. :neutral:

Telephant":e462b said:

Yeah I know. I just wanted to tell you guys how much I enjoy reach arounds. my bad. :neutral:

Oh, my mistake. Please tell the class about your love for reacharounds.

:lol:

tommythelurker":a7d13 said:

VW's DSG is actually probably the closest you'll get without a Ferrari style paddle shifting tranny.

I'm 17. one of the first cars i drove was a manual. not just ANY manual, an RSX type-s. That's a damn good experience for a first drive. that thing shifted SMOOOOOTH, it was my brothers. anyway, yeah i picked it up right away, didn't stall and after one time running through the gears i was used to it, but it's so easy in that car. that was two years ago. i have driven tons of things with manual transmissions before that. i'm a country kid.

i prefer manual. i don't have a car yet cause i'm too busy sinking money into guitar. i really don't like driving autos, it's like playing an amp that EQs itself for you one what it thinks you want. i just like to be in the gear i want.

Yes
The Evo, my father's, got sold back to Mitsubishi, so no
Manual
16, been driving since I was 10, learnt to drive a manual on a 1972 Morgan Plus 8 with a non-sychro 1st Moss gearbox at 12

20, drive manual, prefer manual if it will get better gas mileage. My car gets like 40 MPG on the high way, so that's fine by me for wiggling a stick around. It's a Honda Accord. My brother's automatic Accord doesn't ride nearly as smooth, either.

Im 19 and yes I can, but I drive auto. I have an 03 Trailblazer LTZ. I learned to drive manual on an 02 Porsche 911 Turbo haha, my uncle works for Porsche. I've also driven 2 Carrera GT's :ug:

If no one believes me I do have pics and video of the CGT's lol

As far as today's semi-auto transmissions, the ones you'll find in Acuras and Infiniti's and such, are absolutely nothing like Ferrari's F1 gearboxes or other similar clutchless manual's. It's basically night and day. BMW's SMG transmission, Porsche's tiptronic, and as Variable said, VW's DSG are three of the best you can get without having to purchase a supercar. They are becoming more and more popular though, for fucks sake my friends mom's Hyundai Santa Fe has a semi-auto trans lol.

I'm 38. I used to drive a stick when I had sporty cars. It came easy to me because I owned/rode motorcycles when I was younger. Currently I drive a Jeep Cherokee automatic.

well my 88 Dodge Dakota truck is auto at the moment
at least till i drop that 318 in and put a posi traction rearend in it
and put a splash paint job on it 8)

Yes, can drive manual
My car is a manual
I prefer a manaul - like the control and feel of it

I learned to drive a manual, and owned cars with such until my last vehicle purchase. I finally had to go the 4-door "famly truckster" type route.

Previous to that, up until mid-2006 really, I've driven all manners of VW GTIs, including three VR6s when they came out in '95. Fun cars, but having two car seats in the back with two doors finally showed me it wasn't the right vehicle anymore!

>|<>QBB<
Code001":f55f9 said:
Just out of curiosity...

Can you drive a manual transmission?
Is your daily driver a manual or automatic?
Do you prefer a manual or automatic?

I found out quite a few American teens cannot drive a manual, yet almost all Europeans can. For me, I can drive one (my daily driver is a manual so I drive a manual about every day), but I prefer automatics for daily driving and drag racing. I prefer manuals for road racing and auto-crossing.

Oh, if you can, state your age too. If you don't wanna reveal that, it's fine.

I drove a manual back in college, but it's been so long I'm not sure how good I would be if I drove one today :)

I own 5 cars... 4 are manual. All 5 would have been manual if the particular model that I bought Tiptronic didn't go for $3K more on the used market in 6-Speed guise :(

My first 3 cars were auto (total of 1 year's driving) then manual's from then on. Traffic, schmaffic ;)

Back