What are these chords call

• Thread starter Thread starter maximo
  • Start date Start date
M
maximo
Take any power chord in standard E tuning...say the A chord and slide your index finger down one fret. What are these chords call?

you mean like this?

e-------------------
B-------------------
G-------------------
D--7----------------
A--7-----------------
E--4----------------

Something tells me ...I dont think so. I think its a diminished chord???

Yaaa no not a diminished...

Man I wish I know abouy guitar theory, I'm an idoit. Anyway, guitar is in standard E tuning...Play a C power chord ok, so you have you index finger on the A string 3rd fret, and ring finger on the D string on the 5th fret...a C chord right. Now slide your index finger and ONLY your index finger down to the 2nd fret...What is this chord called??? You can play this chord with any power chord, is it a flat or something???

i think it's a slash chord.

that'un would be A5/Ab (meaning an Ab in the bass).

I think.

If anyone knows better, don't quote me on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_chord

maximo":69970 said:
Man I wish I know abouy guitar theory, I'm an idoit. Anyway, guitar is in standard E tuning...Play a C power chord ok, so you have you index finger on the A string 3rd fret, and ring finger on the D string on the 5th fret...a C chord right. Now slide your index finger and ONLY your index finger down to the 2nd fret...What is this chord called??? You can play this chord with any power chord, is it a flat or something???

in that particular instance, it would be G/B

the interval you're playing is a minor 6th, so the note being played by the ring finger (or in some peoples' case, the pinky) is the root of the chord (it's a major chord in first inversion, without the 5th).

^ seconded. (for the c power chord with the index finger slid down one fret)

i thought A/Ab sounded wrong, but I couldn't figure it out till I was told. (i was talking about the A5 chord one, but yeah, it was wrong too)

My major problem is, I understand music theory when I get told the answer...

it is the 'Lashed To The Slave Stick' intro chord!

-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------9----
-0-1-3-4-6----6----
-0-1-3-4-6----------

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=16993157

Sorry for being no help, I should know seeing as I'm studying music theory but I don't :?

Sam Laming":e779a said:
it is the 'Lashed To The Slave Stick' intro chord!

-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------9----
-0-1-3-4-6----6----
-0-1-3-4-6----------

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=16993157

Sorry for being no help, I should know seeing as I'm studying music theory but I don't :?
haha good call on that one

maximo":b948c said:
Take any power chord in standard E tuning...say the A chord and slide your index finger down one fret. What are these chords call?

The chord could be thought of an inversion of Amaj7.

However, since the 3rd is not defined (making it neither major nor minor), I write this as A5/Ab.

dave_mc":b006b said:
^ does that mean I was right? :?

It's the most logical way to write the chord, so I'd mark it correct :mrgreen:

Lemmie":d5549 said:

The chord could be thought of an inversion of Amaj7.

However, since the 3rd is not defined (making it neither major nor minor), I write this as A5/Ab.
that doesn't make any sense...unless you're also playing the 4th string on the 7th fret, which would be technically wrong for the chord. see my original reply for the correct answer.

if you wanted to play the "correct" notes for that chord shape, you'd play the 4th fret of the E string (G#), the 7th fret of the A string (E), and optionally, the 6th fret of the D string (G#)....making an E major chord in first inversion with no 5th.

WarriorOfMetal":b1cdb said:

that doesn't make any sense...unless you're also playing the 4th string on the 7th fret, which would be technically wrong for the chord. see my original reply for the correct answer.

if you wanted to play the "correct" notes for that chord shape, you'd play the 4th fret of the E string (G#), the 7th fret of the A string (E), and optionally, the 6th fret of the D string (G#)....making an E major chord in first inversion with no 5th.

I think we're talking about 2 different chords now. I was refering to the first one, the Ab/E/A question. If both of the A's were dropped a 1/2 step (to G#), then yes, it implies an E major.

Lemmie":cd031 said:

I think we're talking about 2 different chords now. I was refering to the first one, the Ab/E/A question. If both of the A's were dropped a 1/2 step (to G#), then yes, it implies an E major.
the problem is, the OP never mentioned what they were doing with the third note, if anything....that is, if you were playing it on the lowest 3 strings, the 4th string was never specifically mentioned by the OP, so i would say that they're playing the inverted major triad without the 5th.

ok, i actually went to the piano to figure this out (i'm sad, and can "see" theory easier on piano, since that's what I started playing on).

for the A5 chord, with a dropped first note, you have:

e ------
B ------
G ------
D --7--
A --7--
E --4--

the notes in there are Ab/G# (played on the E string), E (played on the A string), and A ( played on the D string).

Assuming that E becomes the root, G# becomes the major third of the E, first inversion, while A is the sus 4- though I'd assume it's easier to write it as a slash.

i.e. i think warriorofmetal was right in the first instance, though something needs to be done to address that A note.

I'm damned if I know what, though. Esus4/G# (no fifth) sounds kind of needlessly complicated.

If you take the G# as the root, E becomes a minor 6th, while the A becomes a minor second.

G#min6b2 again sounds very complicated.

Taking the A as the root...

E becomes a fifth, and G# becomes a major 7th.

so you could call it a major 7th chord, without a qualifying third (i.e. it could be a major 7th, or a dominant). again, quite complicated, and I don't think it fits in with the overall "spirit" of the chord in such a progression- the E feels like it should be the root note.

I'm going with the first one. Esus4/G# (no fifth)

Using the C5 chord that was mentioned, that becomes Gsus4/B (no fifth).

There's probably an easier way of writing that though. But I think that's right in terms of theory (i.e. the notes which are there) at least.

Phew! And I'm still far from confident. I'm pretty sure there's an easier way of writing it.

:cheers:

dave_mc, you can't have a sus4 chord with a third in it...

^ touche.

add 4 or add11? EDIT: i mean instead of sus 4- like Eadd4/G# (or Eadd11/G#). actually, that's starting to look a bit more like it.

i dunno.

alright, I admit defeat. I'm looking at theory books now.

Back